Happy TV Anniversaries

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
50 years ago today, September 8, 1966, these two classic shows premiered on television.

1189085544_1.jpg

Star Trek

star-trek-tv-series-1.jpg

I wasn't old enough to catch the premieres, but I do remember seeing some first run episodes, plus plenty of reruns.

I didn't watch Star Trek until Summer Reruns. It was on Thursday Nights at 8:30 PM, To late for this 8 Year old at the time. When it moved to Friday's we all thought it was great. Little did we know than, it was TV Show ICU and most patients did not survive. NBC had to wait for Fred Silverman before someone knew what they were doing.

I wasn't born yet, didn't discover Trek until afterschool reruns in the 70's when Star Wars had hit big. Loved the original series, and the Next Generation. 50 years is quite a milestone...So glad there is a new Trek series on it's way...that would make it second only to Doctor Who in longest running sci fi tv shows currently on tv.

Loved That Girl. My brother gave my mom the DVDs and my DD and I went over and watched them with her. They didn't age well. They were ground breaking for their time, a young woman living alone supporting herself, but they just were very dated now.

I love Star Trek! I remember watching the original (or rather reruns of the original) with my dad and my uncle, and then Next Generation when it was new. I still sometimes randomly catch Next Generation reruns now.

That Girl had one of the best theme songs of all time. I watched some of the later seasons first run, but mostly caught the reruns on ABC daytime in the '70s. I was never a Star Trek fan. 2016 also marks the 50th anniversaries of two other favorites of mine...Family Affair and Dark Shadows!

Loved That Girl. My brother gave my mom the DVDs and my DD and I went over and watched them with her. They didn't age well. They were ground breaking for their time, a young woman living alone supporting herself, but they just were very dated now.

I'm sure That Girl is very dated. Haven't seen an episode in over 20 years. Some of Marlo Thomas' Mod fashions are equally outdated.

That Girl had one of the best theme songs of all time. I watched some of the later seasons first run, but mostly caught the reruns on ABC daytime in the '70s. I was never a Star Trek fan. 2016 also marks the 50th anniversaries of two other favorites of mine...Family Affair and Dark Shadows!

I think That Girl's theme music was instrumental until the last season when they added lyrics.

Family Affair was also a favorite, and for a while Dark Shadows was an obsession. We used to race home from school in order not to miss it.

I love That Girl. It was one of my mom's favorite shows and she loved sharing it with me. I bought her the complete series on DVD a few years ago.

And her outfits are my favorite part. I covet that wardrobe!

I always considered Star Trek a cheap rip off of Lost in Space, not that EITHER of them if you watch today had great sets or special effects.
I watched That Girl, and Dark Shadows.
But looking at the list of top TV shows of 1966, NONE of them were in the top 10. Other than The Virginian and Lawrence Welk, I watched all these shows.
Top TV Shows 1966:

1. Bonanza NBC

2. The Red Skelton Hour CBS

3. The Andy Griffith Show CBS

4. The Lucy Show CBS

5. The Jackie Gleason Show CBS

6. Green Acres CBS

7. Daktari* CBS

7. Bewitched* ABC

7. The Beverly Hillbillies* CBS

10. Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.* CBS

10. The Virginian* NBC

10. The Lawrence Welk Show* ABC

10. The Ed Sullivan Show* CBS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter