Happy or unhappy marriage? One or two incomes?

Happy or unhappy marriage? One or two incomes?

• Married – 1 income – mostly happy

• Married – 1 income – happy/unhappy about equal

• Married – 1 income – mostly unhappy

• Married – 2 incomes – mostly happy

• Married – 2 incomes – happy/unhappy about equal

• Married – 2 incomes – mostly unhappy

• Separated – 1 income marriage

• Separated – 2 income marriage

• Divorced – it was a 1 income marriage

• Divorced – it was 2 income marriage

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
After 15.5 years together (11 of them married) and 2 small kiddos, DH and I are still happily surviving on one income. :goodvibes

Married – 1 income – mostly happy

We've done two incomes, 1.5 incomes (I worked part-time) and 1 income, and we're happy. Each stage has been a different kind of happiness, but I think I liked 1.5 incomes the best. I felt like I was contributing to the income, but not so much that I was stressed. However, the costs of daycare are way too much to allow me to go back part-time right now.

agotta said:
2 incomes, seperating as of the end of this month

Interesting poll, not sure how much it has to do with incomes, consistenetly anyway. Dh and I don't make a ton, but we don't really argue over money at all.

The OP stated that she knew of 5 couples splitting up, and all of them were 1 income families. I guess she's wondering if couples with 1 income are more likely to divorce than couples where both spouses work, and started a poll to see if it was the case, at least among the Dis? :confused3

I think that divorce, for a variety of reasons, is so common in our society that it's impossible to point to one factor.

However, I do feel that a marriage where the spouses are not on the same page about how their family is going to function, both emotionally and economically, is going to be an unhappy one.

Happy

We were 2 income until I took a buyout a few months ago. I still get a monthly check, but it's about 1/10th of what he makes. I also took 3 one year maternity leaves.

I haven't noticed any difference in how we get along whether I'm working or not.

Married, 2 incomes, and COMPLETELY happy! We've been DINKS for almost 8 married years, but just found out we're expecting. So, I have 8.5 months of work left until I'm a SAHM. That was always our plan if we got pregnant. I don't think it will effect my marital happiness, but I will miss my multiple vacations a year! ;) We're going to spend the next 8.5 months remembering how to live on less (we were married for our last year of college so we've experienced it before) and should have a nice savings at the end of it!

Self made millionaire.....retired living the good life. :thumbsup2 Eat your heart out!!!!! :cheer2:

The only thing I'm missing is my own set of teeth. :confused3

We are pretty happy, with 2 incomes. I did like it when I wasn't working, but I got bored once both kids were in school so I decided to go back to school and go to work.

Very happy 2 income w/ 2 Elementary school aged kids.
If either of us did not work there is a very good chance the others marital satisfaction would go down.
DH and I work in similar fields and really use each other as sounding boards for ideas. I am not sure I would ever hear my DH talk again. Think strong silent type. ;)

Married for 19 years, 2 kids and 2 incomes, one for each kid
and 1 housekeeper to keep the health dept. at bay :teeth:

Happily married at the moment, ask me tomorrow ;)
Actually, like most long term marriages we have had our moments/months and yes even the occassional bad year or so thrown in for good measure.

Divorce has never been an option for me, my spouse is not abusive, a drunk, a gambler, an adulterer or subject to any other destructive habits (all very good reasons in my book).

There is however his fondness for Ebay and Home Depot...... I am sure there is a 12 step program for him:teeth:

We both work really hard at our marriage and I can say without hesitation that we are happy.

I think divorce is so complicated and it is hard to put a finger on what the true problems really are.

Happily married for the most part- some days are not so good but the majority of them are.

2 incomes- I work 32 hours/week so I am off on Fridays. It was the only way I would go back to work and thankfully it is working out so far. :thumbsup2

HAPPILY MARRIED, ONE INCOME, WE OWN OUR OWN BUSINESS! :sunny:

DH & DW & DS all work at the business 6 days a week 10 hrs a day. (winters are quieter) (spring, summer, fall CRAZY) :crazy2:

2DS'

ONE DS in college :teacher: (20)
ONE DS in masters program :teacher: (23)

MARRIED 25 1/2 years!!! :teeth:

Happy Two Income (hope to become one this year or early next year). We just adopted a beautiful little girl. Have been together 16 years, married for 10 1/2 of them. Love my DH more everyday. :love: :lovestruc :love: :lovestruc :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter