Happy in Hawaii –- Aulani & Oahu with a Toddler ~ Updated 7/20: Final Update and link to new TR!

Sounds like you guys had a really busy day!

Too funny about all of the little white dogs in that one neighborhood. We really want to get a Westie, maybe we can move there, haha.

What a coincidence that Dug's cousin was staying so close to you at the same time you were there! Hopefully you got to meet up with him before you left.

I can't believe that you were still feeling so sick - that is so not fair!

I really don't understand how Spam is so popular in Hawaii. When we went to Maui for our honeymoon, the food we ate was so amazing so it just doesn't make sense to me!

I'm glad Izzy was able to get some sleep in the car. I think that we have that same blanket for our baby girl, if its the A & A muslin blanket with pink elephants on it! It's actually packed in my hospital bag for her, all ready to go!

Glad you got to see the sights Dug wanted - and it really is working out great that you have the next trip to Hawaii coming up and can do all the things that you weren't able to fit in this one

That's kinda funny (well, I am sure you weren't laughing at the time) that you went to the wrong Marriott resort. Reminds me of this one time I was meeting a friend at a Starbucks in NYC at a pre-determined intersection ... but we didn't realize there were actually two separate Starbucks at the same intersection and we were each at different ones)

I feel so bad that you were sick so often and not able to enjoy the food. .... yet another reason it is great you have another trip coming up (very much hope you are 100% healthy for it!!!)

That is great that Izzy slept through the car ride and even transferred well - if there was a time that was needed this seemed to be it, so at least that worked out.

Wow! You really packed a lot into that day! Too funny about the white doggie neighborhood!

That Spam Mickey looked SOOOO gross!

if its the A & A muslin blanket with pink elephants on it!

Our DD also loves her A+A blankies, including that one, and likes to raid her dresser for more. We also have the little issies, which both my older kids have loved.

I'm glad Izzy stayed asleep on the ride to the airport, and I hope you felt better ASAP.

Wow, what a busy evening!! Glad you saw the sights that Dug wanted to see though. That was really unfortunate timing for his retreat, but it was so nice how his company worked with you guys to get the flights to/from Hawaii vs. home.
Yeah, we really had to cram in our sightseeing, but at least he was able to come to Hawaii. Very glad they approved flying him in/out of HNL.

I can't wait to see how your mommy/daughter time panned out, as that is some of my favorite time with Aria. :)
We had a really fun time. :goodvibes

That is funny about walking to the wrong resort - ugh!! Hopefully it was still a nice beach walk though.
It was a nice walk, but it was dark and we were tired. Still nice enough, though.

That spam thing looks SOOOOO gross omg. I am literally disgusted.
I know, not appetizing.

Nights like this make me very thankful for the magical express, I'd have just shuffled DH onto that thing and said goodbye at the resort!! Esp with poor Izzy sleeping but glad she slept the whole way and for the transfer to her bed.
That would have been quite nice! I wish they had ME for Aulani. At least she slept through everything, though - I had been worried that she'd have pretty messed-up sleep, but she did better than expected. :thumbsup2

Sounds like you guys had a really busy day!
It definitely was!

Too funny about all of the little white dogs in that one neighborhood. We really want to get a Westie, maybe we can move there, haha.
Haha, I think you'd fit right in! :thumbsup2

What a coincidence that Dug's cousin was staying so close to you at the same time you were there! Hopefully you got to meet up with him before you left.
It was such a bizarre coincidence. More to come...:rolleyes1

I can't believe that you were still feeling so sick - that is so not fair!
I can't believe how long it dragged on. And I felt fine if my stomach was empty, so I kept thinking I was feeling better, then I'd eat again and realize I wasn't better after all. :crazy2:

I really don't understand how Spam is so popular in Hawaii. When we went to Maui for our honeymoon, the food we ate was so amazing so it just doesn't make sense to me!
I actually just looked this up last night - I guess that it was something the troops ate during WWII and because there were so many of them in Hawaii, it caught on in the general population as well. And I guess that item I saw is a rice block topped with spam and wrapped with seaweed...ew.

I'm glad Izzy was able to get some sleep in the car. I think that we have that same blanket for our baby girl, if its the A & A muslin blanket with pink elephants on it! It's actually packed in my hospital bag for her, all ready to go!
I think it is! We have a whole bunch of A&A blankets and Izzy still loves them! She's sleeping with six of them right now. ::yes::

Glad you got to see the sights Dug wanted - and it really is working out great that you have the next trip to Hawaii coming up and can do all the things that you weren't able to fit in this one
Thanks. And, yeah, it will be great to go back and have some more time there.

That's kinda funny (well, I am sure you weren't laughing at the time) that you went to the wrong Marriott resort. Reminds me of this one time I was meeting a friend at a Starbucks in NYC at a pre-determined intersection ... but we didn't realize there were actually two separate Starbucks at the same intersection and we were each at different ones)
And I checked with Dug over and over to make sure it was the right one, as I knew there were two Marriotts. Somehow, it still wasn't. :confused3 That's hilarious about the two Starbucks on the same intersection! :rotfl2:

I feel so bad that you were sick so often and not able to enjoy the food. .... yet another reason it is great you have another trip coming up (very much hope you are 100% healthy for it!!!)
I know, I am hoping I am healthy too! I was actually thinking about that the other day, as January is a time where most Minnesotans are sick, so really hoping I can avoid it! :scared:

That is great that Izzy slept through the car ride and even transferred well - if there was a time that was needed this seemed to be it, so at least that worked out.
I am impressed she did so well. Normally just opening a car door wakes her up. But she was just wiped out, I guess.

I am tired just reading all that!! Phew!
I know, it was a very full day!

Wow! You really packed a lot into that day! Too funny about the white doggie neighborhood!
Yep, busy day for sure. The tiny white dogs were hilarious...they just kept coming and nobody had any other kind of dog. :rotfl:

That Spam Mickey looked SOOOO gross!
I agree! Yuck, not my kind of thing at all! :crazy2:

Our DD also loves her A+A blankies, including that one, and likes to raid her dresser for more. We also have the little issies, which both my older kids have loved.
Haha, if they weren't in Izzy's top dresser drawer, she'd be raiding it too. As it is, she raided the clean laundry and ended up with 6 (of our 8) in her crib. :eek: I had to look up what issies were and I had no idea they existed. That would have been perfect on our May WDW trip - Izzy had a few days where she insisted on carrying around one of her blankies and I had to keep making sure she didn't drag it around - those would have worked better, being little "security blankets".

I'm glad Izzy stayed asleep on the ride to the airport, and I hope you felt better ASAP.
I'm glad she was pretty easy that night. Only a couple more days until I feel better. :faint:

Shopping in Paradise

After our late night previously (and me waking up sick at one point :sick:), we both slept in as late as we could. I eventually woke up and started browsing the apps on my phone. I found that the forecast was looking REALLY good for the rest of our trip (maybe I took these screen shots earlier when I was up sick? :confused3):

Any time you have the word “delightful” in your forecast more than once is a good sign, I’d say. :thumbsup2

I also checked out my grocery list, as that was our main objective this morning (think I took this shot later, but you get the idea):

We’d stopped off for just a few things at Target on our way into town the first night, but wanted to stock up on some more items for the rest of the trip. The plan was to eat quite a few meals in our room (remember, this was a low-budget trip, despite the fact that we stayed at Aulani and flew First Class…really, it was! ::yes::) We only had a kitchenette in our studio, so had to subsist on things that could be cooked with a microwave and/or toaster.

Izzy woke up soon and I got up with her at about 8:20am. To me now, that doesn’t sound like we slept in THAT much, but when you keep in mind that we’ve only been there a few days and it’s 4 hours later at home, well, it felt pretty nice.

Naturally, the first thing Izzy wanted to do when she got up was…leave. :lmao: She was VERY upset that the door was closed and that merited a tantrum :sad::

Toddlers are funny. :rotfl2: I decided to start getting ready while she pulled herself together. Eventually, I convinced her to get dressed so we could start our day. Once she was dressed, I got her set up at the table with some breakfast while I finished getting ready. My notes say that she had a pouch, milk, graham crackers (must have been from the snack service on the plane?), yogurt melts, a baby cookie bar, and she refused the leftover malasada offered, as it had coconut cream and I guess she didn’t approve. :eek: Given my unstable stomach, I didn’t eat anything. :sad1:

After I was ready, we decided to sit out on our “standard view” balcony and enjoy our drinks. Milk for her and Diet Dr. Pepper for me (breakfast of champions! :laughing:):

Izzy assigned us chairs, by the way. She likes to be in charge.

Our “standard” view was about as close to an “island view” as you can get. We were on the highest floor for “standard” (7th) and were thrilled with the view:

I mean, sure, you can see the roof of the conference center down below (which is why they classify this as standard), but you’re so high up that you see the island right over it. It was lovely. :cloud9: Also, when you look straight down, you have the water features for the conference center, so it’s very pleasant-sounding:

This lawn is where we end up having a blast with Chip and Dale later in the week:

And the panorama:

Izzy was still working on her breakfast items:

Also note that she actually wore the dress I bought her for this trip! :cool1: She wasn’t into dresses at all back then (now she loves wearing princess dresses!)

While we were chilling on the lanai, Dug was getting into Palm Springs:

But back to Aulani!

I had wondered beforehand how much you can fit in a fridge there, so took some pictures for anyone else wondering:

I couldn’t find a way to fit a gallon of milk without pulling out a shelf, other than laying it down, as I did. Which was fine, so long as you close it good (we did, no issues). You may also notice my flower lei in there. I had read a tip that they stay fresh longer in the fridge. I suppose it did, but it also got cold and moist and I never did do anything else with it, other than toss it when we left. Oh, hard to see, but the freezer was decent too – just had a couple ice packs in there that we brought along, but it would have fit more.

We spent a little time in the room while I got it cleaned up and organized from Dug’s late-night departure. I pretty much do this anytime he’s going to be out of town – I like knowing that the house/room will actually stay clean for a few days, other than any messes Izzy or I might make (not too many ;)).

I also made a couple calls. Returned the confirmation call for our catamaran journey for the next night. Then I called the character meet extension, which has a new recorded message each day with the character meet times and locations. Every day, I called and wrote them all down and we tried to meet as many as we could.

Once we had that done and had everything we needed for the day ready to go, we headed down to the lobby. Had a couple of things to deal with there too. Izzy insisted on walking, so it took a LONG time to get there. :snail: By the way, in case you are wondering about the layout, here is a link to the map of Aulani:

http://resorts.disney.go.com/media/resorts/1/images/en/about-aulani/maps-directions/10923562f2%20Aulani%20Wayfinder.pdf

Our room was over on the left, in the building that says 60-69, facing toward the bottom/conference center. The lobby is at the bottom of the U and the parking ramp is over off the right side.

Anyway, Izzy made a lot of stops to check out the views along the way:

I believe we saw a line at the front desk when we arrived at the lobby, so decided to give it a few minutes and walked a bit further to the DVC sales office for Izzy to admire the giant stuffed Mickey and Minnie they had in there. I admired the Disney Dream model:

At that time, we were hoping to go on the Dream (were booked already), but didn’t know for sure if that trip was going to happen. But it did and it was awesome! (But that’s another Trip Report, haha! :rolleyes1)

It was about 10:40am by then and we went back to check on the line in the lobby. Still long at the front desk, but I noticed there was nobody at concierge and I decided my issues could probably be addressed there too. The concierge was super sweet and very willing to help us out. We got a map and she showed us where to find the character meet locations. I also asked for a lightbulb in the bathroom to be replaced, plus some additional towels. It turned out that we were scheduled for a full cleaning that day anyway (I was thinking it would have been the next day, as it’s day four and it only felt like day three to me, as we checked in late at night our first day). The concierge said she’d make sure our cleaning took place before Izzy’s naptime, so that was great. This whole time, Izzy was constantly losing her shoes. She’d insisted on wearing her jelly shoes again and they didn’t stay on her feet very well. The concierge was very patient with us. (This is also part of why it took forever to walk to the lobby – repeatedly putting shoes back on :headache:).

After we wrapped up there, we headed to the garage and got in our rental car. I started driving away, then realized I’d forgotten to set up navigation and wasn’t entirely sure where to go. Just then, Dug happened to call, so I asked him directions and he knew. :thumbsup2 He said things were going well and he’d made it to the retreat before anything really got started (he’d been worried, as most people arrived the night before and he arrived the morning of). We had a nice chat while I was driving along. After I got off the phone, I remembered that I had seen something in my pre-trip research about cell phone usage being illegal while driving in Hawaii unless it was hands-free. Um, oops! :guilty:

It didn’t take long at all to head up the Kapolei exit and find Costco. First stop was to fill up on gas after all that driving back-and-forth across the island. There was a short line, but not too bad:

In case anyone else could benefit from this tip (since I managed to go like 37 years before learning it): most cars have a little arrow on the gas gauge that indicates which side of the car the fuel door is on. Comes in very handy with rental cars. So, I knew which side to pull up on. But, also, my limited experience with Costco gas pumps is that they have very long hoses and are made to be used on either side of a car. (And this concludes Random Costco Gas Pumping Tips by Dugette :rotfl:).

After fueling up, we finally entered the store at about quarter after 11am. Izzy absolutely refused to wear shoes into the store (she was really into removing her shoes while in her carseat this trip), so I insisted she ride in the cart. She wasn’t too fond of that idea either, but relented, especially when she learned she could pick a side (big enough for two kids to ride).

So, for my first spontaneous Costco purchase, I got a set of Pyrex mixing bowls. I know, just what one needs on a Hawaiian vacation, right? :lmao: Actually, I’d been planning to just get some cheap plastic containers at Target to store leftovers and to use for mixing/prepping food. However, I saw these on display and they were really nice (we had a similar set at home) and they were a great deal. I don’t remember exactly, but I know it was under $10 for a set of four large glass mixing bowls with lids. Normally, I’d still probably pass because they are heavy and bulky, but remember our insane First Class luggage allowance? No problem bringing it home – plus, we’d have extra room in a suitcase after using up the diapers we brought. I’d just make sure to keep all the packaging so it would make it home safe (spoiler alert – it did!)

My main reason for going into Costco was just to check out souvenir ideas. I’d read that there are some good options, including the chocolate-covered Mauna Loa macadamia nuts. So, I wandered around the snack area and, of course, everything I saw looked fabulous! But they are all giant packages, so it’s a hefty chunk of change to buy a snack. Plus, I had a toddler that was an enabler. Every time I picked up a package for a better look, Izzy commanded, “Mommy, in the cart!” :rotfl2: She wanted me to buy everything. I ended up with two packages of chocolate-covered snacks for us and one bag of the macadamias and one bag of the Hershey Kisses with macadamias as souvenirs for our parents. I figured we could go back later with Dug if we needed more. I don’t believe we did, though – just gave his parents the Kisses and mine the Mauna Loa nuts. They both loved them.

Here we are waiting to check out, with Izzy getting my wallet for me:

Yep, this is exactly the cart of items you’d expect at Costco in Hawaii :rotfl::

Next, we headed over to nearby Target. I saw this at a stoplight and was amused at the "Snow Day" sign in Hawaii:

Izzy agreed to wear shoes so that she could walk at Target. Despite her wearing her jelly shoes earlier, I had been wise enough to bring her regular shoes, since I knew she was going to need them after she got her fill of the others falling off. So, she wore her shoes and wanted to walk alongside the cart and help me shop.

We started in the baby food area, since I needed to stock her up on pouches, which she was seriously addicted to during this trip. :hyper: She wandered over to an endcap display for a moment and then returned and put this in the cart:

Yes, my kid managed to find the ONLY clearance-marked pouch in the store AND it has Cinderella’s carriage on it. I was so proud! :thumbsup2 So, of course we got that. I picked out a bunch of others too and Izzy helped me toss them all into the cart.

Then, to get to the grocery area, we had to walk past all the toys (good store planning!), so she played with things, but put them all back quickly:

Izzy helped with all the grocery shopping by putting things in the cart and sometimes pushing the cart. She got a few compliments from others on her cuteness and obedience, so that was nice. :goodvibes

While we were getting our groceries, Dug was exploring his resort. He was staying at the Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, California. Coincidentally, this was a destination that Walt Disney himself frequented. He loved the place and built a vacation home there. It was where he got away from Hollywood to spend long weekends with his family relaxing. Here’s a whole write-up on it that I found, for anyone interested: https://d23.com/walts-hidden-hideaway/

So, Dug was wandering the halls taking these pictures of the artwork:

Pretty cool! We were both staying in Disney-affiliated venues, I guess.

But back to our Target run! While I was checking out, Izzy spotted some tiny Disney Princess toys in the display. She played quietly with the dolls while I was getting our cart rung up:

Several customers commented on how cute/good she was (she kind-of looked like she was by herself, as she was maybe 5 feet away from my register, but I was watching her).

We headed out of Target and returned to Aulani. I threw the Pyrex box into the basket on the stroller and we cruised in quickly to meet Goofy by the pool (because OF COURSE you bring a box of mixing bowls to meet the characters! :lmao:)

Up next: Character meets!

Hahaha. Ahhhh life with a toddler... I'm cracking up over the shoes because that is our kids too, not my favorite stage, and Maddie still likes to take them off in her car seat now, but it's getting better.

Man, I could really go for a chocolate covered macadamia nut right now...mmmmm!!

Yay Goofy! Waiting for the next post! popcorn::

Next visit, I think either this or Kailua Beach would be a good place to take the family for some beach time.

Duly noted! Looks like a great spot.

We helped clean the sand off each others’ feet and get shoes back on (of course, we still ended up getting sand all over the floor of the car and Izzy’s carseat).

Always a losing battle, no matter what you do!

Oh, and this couple had no use for guardrails

:sad2:

It got to the point where we were just laughing at the fact that it seemed this neighborhood required people to have a tiny, white dog before taking up residence.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That's one weird homeowners association.

Our original plan had been to eat dinner at Kona Brewing, along our scenic drive (near Waikiki). However, we decided to skip that in favor of seeing the Waikiki sights before it got dark. We will probably get back next trip, though, as Dug's dad has requested a meal there. And it was nice to see Waikiki by sunset, so I think we made the right call.

You won't regret going to Kona! Good spot.:thumbsup2

The Honolulu airport is ridiculously confusing

That's an understatement!

Any time you have the word “delightful” in your forecast more than once is a good sign, I’d say.

Never happens at home for some reason.:confused3

Toddlers are funny.

Unless they're screaming.

Our “standard” view was about as close to an “island view” as you can get.

Looks very nice!

But back to Aulani!

:woohoo: No disrespect to Palm Springs, but yeah!

I like the description for 11/15: "A full day of sunshine" and 11/11: "Delightful with sunshine" - just makes it sound so pleasant. Almost wish it added "And don't it feel good?!?!?!"

man, first class flights but then having to "slum" it with those standard view :rotfl2: Guess on Hawaii, the standard is set pretty high when it comes to views

That is pretty cool they have that recorded message about the character meets - hope it helped/was accurate

Glad the concierge area was able to take care of you - I bet that happens a lot that people think they can't use it of they aren't staying concierge or something and wait at the main line.

I didn't realize there were places in the US where being on your cell phone while driving (not hands free) WASN'T illegal. It definitely is in New York, so something to remember if you ever come to visit ;)

Sounds cute with Izzy pushing/helping with the cart. One thing we have found with the kids getting bigger is that they (especially Olivia) want to push the cart or stroller or whatever and insist they have it and do not need any help (even though she can't see over the top of it so I have no idea how she thinks she knows where she is going) - so now arguments have changed from "are you riding in the car or walking?" to "no, you can't push the cart by yourself!"

I new Walt frequented Palm Springs and loved it there but didn't recall the Smoke Tree specifically - so that is pretty cool. If Dug's workplace wants to have their retreat at Disney associated places he should suggest next time they just do it at Aulani :rotfl:

Love the pictures of Izzy playing with the dolls. If all children were so easily entertained at Target.

So I have to admit - I chuckled a bit when I saw your Costco purchases. :rotfl2: Because, yes, everyone DOES need mixing bowls when they go to Hawaii.

I remember the first time I pumped gas with those extra long hoses at a BJs.

Beautiful standard view. I would say you made out very well with the view.

Loved seeing this update! :thumbsup2

Wow, you had a great standard view! It must have been so nice to sit out on the balcony and enjoy breakfast out there (well, when your stomach was feeling better, anyway).

Interesting tip about the gas indicator - I never knew that!

Too funny about the pyrex bowls. Nice that your luggage allowance was generous enough that you could take advantage of the good deal!

Izzy's dress was so cute. I'm glad that she wanted to wear it even if she wasn't into dresses at the time! And who wouldn't want to wear jelly shoes?! They were my favorites when I was little!

It got to the point where we were just laughing at the fact that it seemed this neighborhood required people to have a tiny, white dog before taking up residence.

You'd think all dogs would have tans from living on an island :rotfl2:

Dug turned on his phone and checked Facebook and – huge coincidence! – saw that his dad’s cousin (who lives in Canada) posted that he’d just arrived at his Ko Olina resort for a family vacation.

That is crazy how those things work out!

IMG_1050_zps176f6e48.jpg

Uhh...no thanks. Doesn't matter if it's Mickey Head shaped. I'll NEVER pass 4 bucks for Spam! :crazy2::crazy2:

Guess that’ll teach me to eat in Hawaii!

:sad2: but :lmao:

Yeah, you don't look good or happy at all.

Soon, he and Izzy met me at the car and it turns out he didn’t see my text.

:headache::headache:

I think we got on the road at least reasonably close to our 9:30pm goal (his flight was at 11:50pm). Izzy fell asleep and I stayed awake, so that was good.

I remember you saying a while back that you mainly drive places, but was he able to drive you guys at least to the airport this night so you could relax?

This night was one of the very few times in her life that that carseat-to-stroller transfer was successful and she stayed asleep:

The night you needed it most :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:Yep, that sucks!

I love how optimistic and happy this app is!

(remember, this was a low-budget trip, despite the fact that we stayed at Aulani and flew First Class…really, it was! ::yes::)

:rotfl2::rotfl:

She was VERY upset that the door was closed

Another "Kid that cries over random things' story :lmao:

You look much happier today! :goodvibes

Very nice for Standard! When I think Disney standard I think, parking lot or garbage cans. This is great!

Yeah, i'll take your view :thumbsup2

I had wondered beforehand how much you can fit in a fridge there, so took some pictures for anyone else wondering

I'm always interested in fridge sizes, now moreso with DS so thanks! :thumbsup2

Then I called the character meet extension, which has a new recorded message each day with the character meet times and locations.

I don't know why, but I thought they had like a 'Navigator' like they have on the cruises for the daily plans, no?

After I got off the phone, I remembered that I had seen something in my pre-trip research about cell phone usage being illegal while driving in Hawaii unless it was hands-free. Um, oops! :guilty:

This isn't in every state?! I for sure thought it was! Yep, you have to come up with clever ways to talk on the phone. Like sticking it in your shirt with the microphone facing up. Hey it works when necessary! :rotfl2:

In case anyone else could benefit from this tip (since I managed to go like 37 years before learning it): most cars have a little arrow on the gas gauge that indicates which side of the car the fuel door is on.

I knew this but always forget! Thanks for the reminder.

(And this concludes Random Costco Gas Pumping Tips by Dugette :rotfl:).

:lmao::rotfl:I actually like your random tips. Keep em coming always.

I got a set of Pyrex mixing bowls

Why is this something I would buy?

“Mommy, in the cart!” :rotfl2:

Such an enabler. But you can't say no to a cute face!

Yes, my kid managed to find the ONLY clearance-marked pouch in the store AND it has Cinderella’s carriage on it. I was so proud! :thumbsup2

You've taught her well. ::yes::

Love that he was still get touches of Disney during his conference.

Ah, the joys of toddlers with opinions. :) Looks like you had a successful trip to both stores. Can't wait to hear about the character meets at Aulani!

I loved reading the article about Walt in Palm Springs- how cool that Dug was also at a "Disney" resort!

What nice weather esp compared to what it was at home, I'm sure!! Sorry you were sick overnight though. 8:20 is definitely sleeping in once you have a kid. I'm happy if we reach 7:30, and I'm usually awake by 6 regardless. Anyway nice relaxing morning start to the day!

Glad you got your groceries, and funny about Dug's hotel being affiliated with Disney as well!

Can't wait to hear about the character meets! I love the seemingly random mix of Disney with Hawaii at Aulani, but it is so nice for families.

And that lei in the fridge made me reminisce on my visits there. I loved those leis, one of my favorite smells!

Catching up!

Beautiful views again! It sounds like a great night riding around. I'm sorry dinner didn't agree with you again. :guilty: I know I've said it before, but being sick on vacation is just the worst!

I'm glad the trip to/from the airport went smoothly. Keeping the toddler asleep through all the transitions is quite a feat!

It sounds like you and Izzy had quite a morning! Love the views from your "standard" room!

I had no idea about the arrow indicating the location of the tank - very useful fact you worked in there! :thumbsup2

I love the purchase of the Pyrex bowls! That is totally something that would happen to me!

Excited to read about your meet with Goofy...mixing bowls in tow!

I can totally see myself purchasing mixing bowls like that. I do that sort of thing all the time:rotfl2:. When it's a deal, it's a deal no matter where you are!

Oh, the shoes! First of all, why do toddlers always want to wear the shoes you don't want them to? Second of all, why can't they keep them on? Two seconds after we back out of the driveway the shoes come off! Charlotte is finally starting to stop that, but the shoes drive me nuts!

Izzy did look adorable, and obedient!::yes:: And a celerance shipper as well? What a good mommy!

I think shopping looks way more fun in Hawaii, I need to try it!;)

Hahaha. Ahhhh life with a toddler... I'm cracking up over the shoes because that is our kids too, not my favorite stage, and Maddie still likes to take them off in her car seat now, but it's getting better.
Yep, it was a never-ending battle over shoes on this trip. Izzy is still fairly obsessed with shoes, but generally a bit more reasonable about what she should where in what circumstances (i.e. - toy princess shoes stay in the house - or the car :rotfl:)

Man, I could really go for a chocolate covered macadamia nut right now...mmmmm!!
Me too!

Yay Goofy! Waiting for the next post! popcorn::
Coming up shortly! :goodvibes

Duly noted! Looks like a great spot.
It was quite beautiful! :cloud9:

Always a losing battle, no matter what you do!
Yep! ::yes::

I had read in that Oahu Revealed book about how there have been many deaths of hikers tumbling over cliffs on the island, so that was on my mind when I saw them (they had definitely jumped a rail to get there).

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That's one weird homeowners association.
I know, doesn't it just make you want to move there with a Black Lab? :laughing:

You won't regret going to Kona! Good spot.:thumbsup2
Great to hear! :goodvibes

That's an understatement!
I was so, so lost there. The signage is terrible and nothing is intuitive. :faint:

Never happens at home for some reason.:confused3
Doesn't happen here either. We have crazy forecasts that involve pictures of icicles sometimes (and what does that mean?! will they be falling from the SKY?! :eek:)

Unless they're screaming.
Well, depends how ridiculous the thing is that they're screaming about. :rotfl:

Looks very nice!
It was great! :thumbsup2

:woohoo: No disrespect to Palm Springs, but yeah!
:rotfl2:

I like the description for 11/15: "A full day of sunshine" and 11/11: "Delightful with sunshine" - just makes it sound so pleasant. Almost wish it added "And don't it feel good?!?!?!"
Haha, they should add that! :rotfl2:

man, first class flights but then having to "slum" it with those standard view :rotfl2: Guess on Hawaii, the standard is set pretty high when it comes to views
We really lucked out with that view, as the Standards often have views of the parking garage or the convention center. We were prepared for that, but ended up getting pretty much the best standard view you could get (highest floor).

That is pretty cool they have that recorded message about the character meets - hope it helped/was accurate
It was great and I had no issues with it. Used it most every day. :thumbsup2

Glad the concierge area was able to take care of you - I bet that happens a lot that people think they can't use it of they aren't staying concierge or something and wait at the main line.
I'm sure it does. I was slightly hesitant, but I figured I'd ask and see what she said, since she was just sitting there by herself anyway.

I didn't realize there were places in the US where being on your cell phone while driving (not hands free) WASN'T illegal. It definitely is in New York, so something to remember if you ever come to visit ;)
Huh, well if you ever make it to Minnesota, get ready to make all your calls while you're driving, no hands-free needed! :rotfl: Texting while driving is illegal here (not that it stops people :sad2:), but you can make calls. Of course, both of our cars have bluetooth, so we are hands-free anyway. But in the rental car in Hawaii, I had no clue if that was even an option and I certainly wasn't paired with it or anything if it was. Didn't realize that was a common state law. Oops. :guilty:

Sounds cute with Izzy pushing/helping with the cart. One thing we have found with the kids getting bigger is that they (especially Olivia) want to push the cart or stroller or whatever and insist they have it and do not need any help (even though she can't see over the top of it so I have no idea how she thinks she knows where she is going) - so now arguments have changed from "are you riding in the car or walking?" to "no, you can't push the cart by yourself!"
:rotfl2: I can see Izzy doing the same thing not too far down the road. She's quite the little "helper."

I new Walt frequented Palm Springs and loved it there but didn't recall the Smoke Tree specifically - so that is pretty cool. If Dug's workplace wants to have their retreat at Disney associated places he should suggest next time they just do it at Aulani :rotfl:
Wouldn't that be sweet? ::yes::

Love the pictures of Izzy playing with the dolls. If all children were so easily entertained at Target.
Thanks, it worked out quite well! :thumbsup2

So I have to admit - I chuckled a bit when I saw your Costco purchases. :rotfl2: Because, yes, everyone DOES need mixing bowls when they go to Hawaii.
But of course! :lmao:

I remember the first time I pumped gas with those extra long hoses at a BJs.
It's a weird feeling to pull the nozzle so far out and around/over your vehicle.

Beautiful standard view. I would say you made out very well with the view.
Couldn't have asked for better (and didn't, as we didn't put in a room request at all).

Loved seeing this update! :thumbsup2
Thanks!

Wow, you had a great standard view! It must have been so nice to sit out on the balcony and enjoy breakfast out there (well, when your stomach was feeling better, anyway).
I really enjoyed having it - very peaceful and relaxing. It gets used during nap time later on this day. :rolleyes1

Interesting tip about the gas indicator - I never knew that!
Happy to help! Figured I couldn't possibly be the only person that went through life without knowing that.

Too funny about the pyrex bowls. Nice that your luggage allowance was generous enough that you could take advantage of the good deal!
It was one of those sale displays and it was irresistible, considering the circumstances. :teacher:

Izzy's dress was so cute. I'm glad that she wanted to wear it even if she wasn't into dresses at the time! And who wouldn't want to wear jelly shoes?! They were my favorites when I was little!
I was glad she actually was agreeable. The shoes were cute, but so obnoxious to keep putting them back on. :headache:

You'd think all dogs would have tans from living on an island :rotfl2:
Haha, they probably bring them to the doggie salon to dye their fur. :rotfl2:

That is crazy how those things work out!
It was really an amazing coincidence! :eek:

Uhh...no thanks. Doesn't matter if it's Mickey Head shaped. I'll NEVER pass 4 bucks for Spam! :crazy2::crazy2:
Agreed!

Glad I get another trip to (hopefully) eat more things. :thumbsup2

Yeah, you don't look good or happy at all.
I took that shot just to remember how horrible I was feeling that night.

:sad:

I remember you saying a while back that you mainly drive places, but was he able to drive you guys at least to the airport this night so you could relax?
Well, when I rented the car, I had a free second driver, but they needed his ID to put him on - and Dug and Izzy were at the airport, since I'd done the car rental solo. So, I just skipped it and figured I'd drive everywhere. So, technically, he wasn't supposed to be driving. Plus, I think he was tired too and I do better driving tired than he does (I can keep myself awake, he needs to chat, so I wouldn't have rested either way).

The night you needed it most :thumbsup2
Thank goodness! :cool1:

:rotfl2:Yep, that sucks!
He wasn't too pleased when he discovered that. :headache:

I love how optimistic and happy this app is!
Me too!

The airfare and Aulani stay combined were like $1800 for the three of us. Can't beat that! Add on normal meal/misc. spending and it's a bargain trip to Hawaii! ::yes::

Another "Kid that cries over random things' story :lmao:
Yep, we seem to have a LOT of those lately. :rotfl:

You look much happier today! :goodvibes
Much! Sleep is the best! :thumbsup2

Very nice for Standard! When I think Disney standard I think, parking lot or garbage cans. This is great!
I had low expectations, so this blew them out of the water. Very happy!

Yeah, i'll take your view :thumbsup2
Me too!

I'm always interested in fridge sizes, now moreso with DS so thanks! :thumbsup2
You're welcome, same here.

I don't know why, but I thought they had like a 'Navigator' like they have on the cruises for the daily plans, no?
They do have the Daily Iwa, which is what you're thinking of. However, I don't believe it listed the exact character meet times, so I had to get them this way. But, good point, I'm sure I picked up a copy at the front desk when I got back that night.

This isn't in every state?! I for sure thought it was! Yep, you have to come up with clever ways to talk on the phone. Like sticking it in your shirt with the microphone facing up. Hey it works when necessary! :rotfl2:
Huh, funny! It's not here, so I guess I never gave it much thought. :confused3

I knew this but always forget! Thanks for the reminder.
You're welcome. :goodvibes

:lmao::rotfl:I actually like your random tips. Keep em coming always.
Yay, I am a font of random information! :rotfl:

Why is this something I would buy?
Because you're cool too. :cool2:

Such an enabler. But you can't say no to a cute face!
Sure makes it harder. ::yes::

You've taught her well. ::yes::
I couldn't believe she did that! :thumbsup2

Love that he was still get touches of Disney during his conference.
That was pretty cool. He really loved the place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter