Happy holidays or Merry christmas

lt90

Mouseketeer
I wonder if someone can help. We live in the Uk and throughout december the majority of people say 'merry christmas'. This year we will be in wdw over christmas and my husband is convinced it would be rude for us to say 'merry christmas' as from what we can understand the majority of americans say 'happy holidays'. So which should we say? We have no wish to offend or upset anyone.

I think you are fine with either. I tend to say "Merry Christmas" but found in the professional world it tends to be "Happy Holidays" in order to remain PC and not offend people who do not celebrate Christmas. To be honest, I have known several Jewish people, and they have said both Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to me. When discussing with them, as long as people are polite and friendly, they are happy and appreciative.

I think as long as you are genuine you'll be fine with either. Those you encounter will receive it in the spirit in which it's given. I, too, say "Merry Christmas."

We feel like "Christmas" is a very American tradition (with roots in German, UK, Norwegian, Italian, Greek, Spanish, and many other areas of the world...). Those of different nationalities and religions are welcome to celebrate with us or not, but we wish them a "Merry Christmas" with goodwill and good cheer, and we hope they respond to what is in our hearts during the most wonderful time of the year. Disney, is, if anything, very politically correct. They feel it is proper to wish us Merry Christmas, too!

Merry Christmas for sure. We always celebrate His birth and are not ashamed to let others know. If it bothers others -oh well. I agree with PP that say it is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Enjoy your trip.

Few people are truly offended by either I've found. There is a fringe element on both sides that choose to be offended. Ignore them:)

Heartily wish whatever you feel best to wish. I lean towards merry Christmas but early between thanksgiving and Christmas or after Christmas like wishing happy holidays to include thanksgiving and New Years.

I tend to say Merry Christmas. Being genuine like others have said, and saying it with a smile, it would take a real grinch to take offense a sincere greeting. While having religious roots, Christmas has become quite the commercialized holiday and therefore I have no hesitance wishing everybody a Merry Christmas. It is a cheerful and joyous gesture!

And if somebody replies to me by telling me they celebrate another holiday, I merely wish them a, "happy 'insert other holiday here' "

Use whatever you feel comfortable with! :D

It is "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas" after all ;)

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Cheers!

Both are fine as long as you say it in a sincere, joyful way, it will enlighten the heart of the recipient!

wishing everyone Merry Christmas for the up coming Holidays! ::grouphug:

Cheers!

"Happy Holidays" is used by the media and corporate world so as not to offend anyone. Regular people still use (and many prefer) the standard, "Merry Christmas!"

My boss is Jewish and we send out Christmas cards and have a Christmas party. He also tunes the radio to Christmas carols for a good month. I think he loves it because he never got to do that stuff as a child. ;)

Few people are truly offended by either I've found. There is a fringe element on both sides that choose to be offended. Ignore them:)

Heartily wish whatever you feel best to wish. I lean towards merry Christmas but early between thanksgiving and Christmas or after Christmas like wishing happy holidays to include thanksgiving and New Years.

:thumbsup2

For the most part I say Merry Christmas if it is near enough to Christmas. Even if you aren't Christian you must likely have the day off and I truly hope it is merry for you. One of my closest friends is a Jainist and she is married to a Hindu, they always have the best Christmas tree and celebrate the season anyway because they love how American it is.

If I know someone is Jewish I say Happy Hanukkah if it is near that season (this year November 27th-Dec 5th), otherwise if I know they are Jewish, Muslin or non-practicing I say Happy Holidays.

My theory is if some people are offended by a simple greeting, it is their issue, not mine and they probably need a little more tragedy in their lives so that they are able to put things in perspective. I also freely mock on my fellow Christians who get offended if someone wishes them Happy Holidays.

Both are fine. To be safe Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas is used mostly. Even the Disney Staff say it. They even have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas event!

I think that thought that you are being thoughtful is very nice! :santa:

Day whatever you want! If you celebrate Christmas and want to wish someone a Merry Christmas then go for it. I celebrate Christmas but would not be the slightest bit offended if someone wished me a happy Hanukkah. It is the sentiment that really matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter