• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Happy Anniversary To Me...UPDATED!! JIKO!

Yes, the meatloaf was that bad and it surely did look like something someone cut off the end of the loaf and just put on a plate! :scared1:

This was a day I had planned as a pool day. For anyone who was aware of the weather the week we there, you will understand how humurous that statement is. Having said that, being native New Englanders, we went to the pool anyway. The jaguar slide and the hot tub at CSR are way too much fun to miss out on!

Wish I had taken notes while I was down there or when I got back right away. Oops... So, we grabbed lunch somewhere at CSR, I think. :confused3

I will say that whatever we ate at CSR was fine...nothing so great, but fine. We had some lovely drinks at Siesta's by the pool, though.

I do remember our dinner plans, however. We had an ADR at the Flying Fish. We were early and they let us right in, as we agreed to sit at the bar overlooking the open kitchen.

SDC11436.jpg

I had thought this would be entertaining, but as it turns out...not so much. And it made for awkward conversation with my husband. Oh well.

We did receive complimentary champange and personalized menus. Nice touches on both counts.

SDC11434.jpg

And, again, our server was fine; nothing spectacular. Not overly nice, but fine.

Before I go any further, I have to say that everything we ate at Flying Fish was wonderful. My only complaint (and no, it isn't noise,as I've read in so many other reports) was that I felt that the meal was not paced very well. Meaning, the courses came out pretty quickly and we were in and out of there in under an hour a half. That's pretty quick for appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

But back to the food. For his appetizer, my husband had the crabcake.

SDC11437.jpg

Lovely presentation and it was delicious, but nothing so spectacular that I really remember it. Good amount of lump crabmeat, though.

I had the cheese plate.

SDC11438.jpg

It, too, was fine. I have had cheese plates at restaurants at home that were better and featured cheese that was more rare. That's OK. Everything was still yummy.

Our entrees were a bit more noteworthy, however.

I had the Signature Flying Fish Cafe Potato-Wrapped Red Snapper - Leek Fondue, veal glace, and Red Wine and Cassis Butter. The flavors all just worked and this was truly phenomenal. The thought of a veal glace with fish sounded interesting, but it was delicious; a little sweet, but not cloying and it had some real depth. The fish was cooked perfectly; flaky and certainly not overcooked. The leeks were also delicious. My mouth is watering thinking about it now, actually, and we ate there well over a month ago at this point!

SDC11443.jpg

My husband had Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops -- pumpkin, sage, mascarpone and pecorino-laced risotto di carnarolli, proscuitto di parma cracklins.

SDC11444.jpg

This was also delicious and my husband loves scallops, so he was quite happy. I don't remember him sharing much, actually. :lmao:

Desserts were good. We had the banana napolean and the white chocolate creme bruleee.

SDC11445.jpg

SDC11446.jpg

Both were very good, but by now I was getting a little tired of all the banana deserts and would have enjoyed a good old-fashioned, plain creme brulee. I don't know why restaraunts feel the need to mess around with something that is so delicious in its simplicity. Oh well.

Overall, I would say that the Flying Fish was very good.

Its a good deal if you're on the deluxe dining plan, as we were. I'm not sure its worth the thirty-six dollar entree price tags, though. This is not a place I will be saving up for on future trips, which is not to say that it wasn't good. It was. But the pacing and were we sat (which was my own fault, admittedly) added up to a less than stellar experience. I was reading a memoir recently where the author was explaining why she often preferred to eat at home; she talked about how there are many things that have to come together to make dining out truly amazing: the food (obviously), the service, the ambience, and then just some special something. Pixie dust, maybe? Now I know that I will never even try to arrange to cook while on vacation at Disney World, but our experience at Flying Fish is a great example of what happens when all of those components don't come together.

I left feeling just a wee, tiny bit dissapointed. But again, if you're on the DxDDP and like seafood, then I say, go for it and maybe all of those things will come together for you.

Just came across your reviews and loving the pics. One of our favorite places is Biergarten. It's so much fun! DH was stationed in Germany so he LOVES going back for the food and that HUGE beer. Plus I really enjoy sitting w/ another family (that is willing to talk). It's a great way to meet people.
I'm sorry to hear your meal at the 50's wasn't good. We have always had a good meal there. Nothing spectacular but always good home cooking. And the fried chicken is my favorite.

I just caught up on all your reviews - and I love them!

We have had great meals at Flying Fish, and I think your service may have been better if you were at a table, rather than the bar. I think you get less attention from the servers when you are at the bar. This same (or similar) meal took us over 2 hours!

We have been to FF a dozen times, and always enjoyed it. The last time, I really didn't like the special I ordered. The waiter noticed, and brought me out another entree. I don't know if you get that service at the counter!

Just came across your reviews and loving the pics. One of our favorite places is Biergarten. It's so much fun! DH was stationed in Germany so he LOVES going back for the food and that HUGE beer. Plus I really enjoy sitting w/ another family (that is willing to talk). It's a great way to meet people.
I'm sorry to hear your meal at the 50's wasn't good. We have always had a good meal there. Nothing spectacular but always good home cooking. And the fried chicken is my favorite.

Great reviews so far!!!! :thumbsup2

just jumping in! :goodvibes

I just caught up on all your reviews - and I love them!

We have had great meals at Flying Fish, and I think your service may have been better if you were at a table, rather than the bar. I think you get less attention from the servers when you are at the bar. This same (or similar) meal took us over 2 hours!

We have been to FF a dozen times, and always enjoyed it. The last time, I really didn't like the special I ordered. The waiter noticed, and brought me out another entree. I don't know if you get that service at the counter!

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

And, yeah, I think if my dinner at Flying Fish had lasted two hours I would have felt better about it. :)

Subbing in! Great reviews so far and looking forward to the rest!

Quick question, what was your take on CSR? Me and my DBF will be staying there in July. Hoping we made a good choice!

Cheers!

Subbing in! Great reviews so far and looking forward to the rest!

Quick question, what was your take on CSR? Me and my DBF will be staying there in July. Hoping we made a good choice!

Cheers!

THANKS!

We absolutely loved CSR. It felt really centrally located and it only took minutes to get to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. We ended up taking the bus through French Quarter and Riverside one afternoon and couldn't get over how long it took just to get out of the resorts! The newly refurbed rooms are beautiful; comfy beds with nice comforters. The flat panel t.v.'s also make things feel a bit more "deluxe." It is my dream to stay at the Contemporary someday, but whenever I price out my next trip I just think...oh, but I loved CSR so much, why would I even consider spending more money? Another bonus is the beautiful pool and giant hot tub. Check out Katmark's CSR thread. It contains lots of info and friendly people who can answer questions you might have and otherwise just get you excited!

THANKS!

We absolutely loved CSR. It felt really centrally located and it only took minutes to get to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. We ended up taking the bus through French Quarter and Riverside one afternoon and couldn't get over how long it took just to get out of the resorts! The newly refurbed rooms are beautiful; comfy beds with nice comforters. The flat panel t.v.'s also make things feel a bit more "deluxe." It is my dream to stay at the Contemporary someday, but whenever I price out my next trip I just think...oh, but I loved CSR so much, why would I even consider spending more money? Another bonus is the beautiful pool and giant hot tub. Check out Katmark's CSR thread. It contains lots of info and friendly people who can answer questions you might have and otherwise just get you excited!

Thanks for the info!

Good to know about POFQ as we were down to either CSR or POFQ. I have been a bit worried about how long it will take to get around by bus.....well maybe its just that im very impatient and dont want to be waiting around to much. lol

How did you find walking around the resort? Did you have a good room location? We have heard the the rooms have been refurbished so that really appeals to us. For me its the comfy beds, for the DBF is the TV. lol guys and their TV's.

I will check out that thread, thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

Good to know about POFQ as we were down to either CSR or POFQ. I have been a bit worried about how long it will take to get around by bus.....well maybe its just that im very impatient and dont want to be waiting around to much. lol

How did you find walking around the resort? Did you have a good room location? We have heard the the rooms have been refurbished so that really appeals to us. For me its the comfy beds, for the DBF is the TV. lol guys and their TV's.

I will check out that thread, thanks for the info!

Cheers!

We really didn't think that the resort was too big and enjoyed walking around. We were in Casitas 4, on the lake, and thought our location was excellent, as we were close to a bus stop, El Centro and not too far from the Dig Site. I know you'll have a wonderful time.

So, I could waste more space trying to explain why this report is taking so long, but I can't even explain that one to myself! :lmao:

Before I get into my full Jiko report, I have to get a few caveats out of the way first. One, we had hit some weird, mid-trip fatigue. We were a little distracted by some bad stuff happening back home, in the "real world," and, try as we did, we just couldn't quite keep it out of our minds. I think we were also getting frustrated by the weather. Temps never got past 65 and while I hadn't been expecting it to be 80 everyday, I had been counting on at least one day in the 70's. No such luck.

So, it was with a heavy heart and tired bodies that we made our way to the Animal Kingdom. The original plan called for us to wander through AK during their evening extra magic hours before heading over to AKL and Jiko.

We got to AK a around three-ish and waited in line for what felt like an eternity to ride Expedition Everest. In hindsight, I now realize we should have headed straight for the safari and the animal things that wouldn't stay open once it got dark. :confused3 But I didn't know and hadn't planned that part of the trip...too bad.

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT FOOD: After that, we did have egg rolls at the Yak and Yeti counter service. This was amazing, as we got two decent-sized, pretty tasty egg rolls for the price of ONE SNACK CREDIT! :woohoo:

Then we wandered around, feeling tired and sort of deflated for the reasons I already stated above. Then it began to get dusky and the safari things were closing and it was too cold for Kali River Rapids, so we had sort of run out of things to do.

Don't even remember if we were hungry or not, but we decided to head over to AKL and see if we could get into Jiko ahead of our 8:35 ADR.

I have to say that the AKL is absolutely stunning and that the CM's we met there were just about the nicest we encountered on the entire trip. They happily accomodated our request and we were seated not even five minutes after we had checked in.

Jiko was a meal I had really been looking forward to, but by the time my husband and I sat down that night, we had the feeling that we just wanted to get it over with.

Admittedly, not the best attitude for a meal.

For our first course, I ordered the barbecue chicken flatbread- With apple-jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses. It was tasty, but the flavors didn't really stand out to me and I thought it was OK. It wasn't the earth shatterningly delicious creation I'd read about on these boards.

SDC11474.jpg

My husband had a salad. It was fine. Don't remember it very well and the exact salad he had doesn't appear to be on the menu at All Ears anymore.

SDC11473.jpg

I had been so excited about the filet with macaroni and cheese and red wine reduction.

SDC11476.jpg

And I was, sadly, not impressed. The steak itself was just OK and the mac and cheese was not particularly good. It tasted pretty average and possibly like it was made with a fake cheese sauce. I love adult, full-flavored, fancy cheese macaroni and cheese and this was not it. And I didn't like it mixed with the red wine reduction. So, so disapointing.

I think my husband liked the short ribs, but didn't rave about them.

SDC11475.jpg

And my dessert pictures are missing! :scared1:

Of course, by this time, we didn't really want desert, but because we were on the DxDDP, we got it anyway.

I had the Kenyan Coffee and Koeksisters - Kenyan coffee ice cream and spiced donuts and my husband had the Pistachio Creme Brulee - With a chocolate-layered bottom.

They were both good, possibly the best things about the meal.

Again, I will readily admit that we weren't in the best mood when we arrived. However, nothing about this meal stood out or seemed all that special to me. I would say that we should give it another try, but we won't be back and dining in a large number of signatures again any time soon!

I totally understand about hitting some mid-trip fatigue and having it mess with your enjoyment of a meal. The same thing happened to my husband and I when we ate at Artist Point a few years ago. A combination of tiredness and, perhaps, unrealistic expectations made our meal there a total downer. We hope to try it again someday when we are in better moods!

Great photos of Tutto! They do have wonderful food! ;) Note, we have two visits scheduled during our next trip! :lmao:

I have to comment on the "German meatloaf", :lmao: as that is NOT meatloaf, LOL, that is what we call "Leberkaese or Fleischkaese" and it has as much to do with meatloaf as Funnel Cake with Wedding Cake! :rotfl:
We love it, but I think you need to grow up with it! Here in Austria this is one of the most sold "fast foods" you can get - a slice of that in a crusty roll is sold here very often.

LEBERK1.jpg

OOOHH! Fleischkaese!!
oh, how I miss it! we lived in Germany for several years and came back about a year an a half ago...I truly, truly miss my FOOD! (and the coffee)

Thanks for the Jiko review, Tina!
I am glad we are not the only ones who were hit by the trip fatigue :lmao: - and we thought it was an age thing! :rotfl: Can't be, you're FAR too young for that!!!!!

We have planned to try Jiko in September for the first time and I am reading so many mixed reviews! I wonder what it will be for us ........?
We have the same strategy as you had, hit the EEMH at AK and then Jiko. :goodvibes

Sorry you were disappointed in JIKO. I have to say the last time we went I got the much raved about filet with mac and cheese and wasn't impressed at all, BUT everything else we've ever gotten there has been really good, especially the short rib dish!:goodvibes

Sorry you were disappointed in JIKO. I have to say the last time we went I got the much raved about filet with mac and cheese and wasn't impressed at all, BUT everything else we've ever gotten there has been really good, especially the short rib dish!:goodvibes

Thanks! Like I said, it might have been our overall attitude that night. I have to admit that we found it a little overwhelming to eat like that nearly every night for a week.

And that's too bad, too, because it sounds like such a good idea! :confused3

I have to apologize for not writing these reviews more quickly. In fact, I really wish I had taken notes while I was there because these reviews might have been quite a bit better.

That said, our final signature experience was at Citrico's. I was not prepared for the utter beauty of the Grand Floridian. We had a great time making our way upstairs to the restaurant. I thought it was kind of funny that Victoria and Albert's is literally hidden away behind frosted glass doors! :lmao:

Citrico's is lovely, there is no question. The surroundings felt luxurios and pretty quiet, although there where some well-behaved kids having dinner at some tables.

Our service was efficient, but not note worthy in any way. Just as at Flying Fish, I felt like our dinner was paced very briskly. I don't think we were there much more than an hour, which at a restaurant with forty dollar entress, just isn't right in my opinion. This is supposed to be a "signature" dining experience, is it not? :confused3

I had been looking forward to ordering the arancini as my appetizer, which are one of my favorites. They're essentially deep fried rice balls, perhaps the menu describes them a bit better: Crispy Risotto - Italian Sausage, Quattro Formaggi, and White Truffle Aioli
SDC11511.jpg

These were delicious, although hardly the greatest I'd ever had. My husband had a salad that I didn't take pictures of for some reason.

For my entree I had the Filet Sicilian - Oak-grilled Filet of Beef with sweet vidalia onions, peppadew and banana peppers, quattro formaggic crushed potatoes and veal glace de viande -- This was delicious. The meat was tender and the peppers were an excellent and interesting counter point to the buttery fillet.

SDC11513.jpg

My husband had a scallops and shrimp appetizer that was really delicious; light and lemony with garlic and feta cheese.

SDC11512.jpg

And for some reason, there is no record of my husband's entree. If I asked him right now, I'm sure he would say, which one was Citrico's? :rotfl:

Our desserts were delicious, but I was suffering from serious banana desert fatigue at this point, as I swear every dessert I had up to that point contained them in some form.

SDC11515.jpg

SDC11516.jpg

Now I'm looking at these pictures and I'm thinking: was I really that jaded by the end of this trip? Is that what a week of deluxe dining does to a person?

:rotfl:

Overall, I thought Citrico's was pretty good, but not exceptional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter