Happy about alcohol policy!!

The difference I see with that example is that when the airlines have changed their luggage fees, they grandfather in people that have already purchased tickets. It has happened to me two or three times and always it was stated that if you purchased your ticket before the change, you would pay the fee that was in affect when you bought the ticket (not the new fee). That is good customer service.
Disney has chosen to say screw you to all the people that are already paid in full on their cruise and raised the fees (in this case, alcohol budgets) for people that have already paid. That is poor customer service.
And of course, since I'm already PIF, I no longer have the ability to not purchase it.

I can understand your point as well. I did not say that it was NOT poor service. I don't consider it poor service myself because the policy change does not affect me, but I can see how you and others would see it as such.

My point was more about until people complain with their pocketbook, Disney will not change anything. Since you are past PIF you cannot get a refund. But you can refuse to give them future business.

I also wonder if anyone has tried to get a refund past PIF. A lot of companies say that they will not give a refund. But some cave in if the person is vocal enough and persistent enough.

Just a thought....

I've actually seen DCL bartenders encourage patrons to drink all their drinks at mixology!

That and the drinks my wife couldn't finish;) We also had a cognac tasting that had a group not show up. They encouraged us to make the ultimate sacrifice and drink up up the pours from the group that didn't show. For some reason I was very chatty and the ship seemed to be rocking a lot as I was walking back to my room to crash for the night;)

We also had a cognac tasting that had a group not show up. They encouraged us to make the ultimate sacrifice and drink up up the pours from the group that didn't show. For some reason I was very chatty and the ship seemed to be rocking a lot as I was walking back to my room to crash for the night;)

LOL, which is why I don't drink. The ship could be dry docked and I would think it was being rocked by a typhoon!!!

And griping about this here and to Disney will not change anything. The only thing that will cause Disney to reverse its decision is if enough people show their displeasure with their wallets.
I really don't think this is true. When a business is as multifaceted and provides a product as diverse as DCL, I think the reason why someone is canceling or not booking has to be clearly voiced. Otherwise, how is the business supposed to know which change is the moving force? If bookings drop 3% in September, would anyone be able to draw a straight line to a particular policy if displeasure was not made clear in major social media circles or through an email and telephone campaign? Let's not forget what happened when HAL tried to change its wine allowance policy. There didn't have to be a decline in sales for the policy to be rescinded before it even went into effect. The social outcry was all it took. Same thing happened when PCL announced a new surcharge for room service. There was no revenue decline because the social outcry was sufficient to wipe the new policy off the books faster than it was announced. I am not saying that DCL will bend here. But it is shortsighted to think that voiced displeasure is always pointless.

I have closed caption. They are really fighting about pool seat savers. Take those chairs away!!!!!! ;)

"You said overboard...you can't say overboard on a ship!" "Overboard overboard overboard, bbbbbbbbbboard." {Meet the Parents}

Seriously, you don't say that. Don't threaten that. Ever. SMH Drunk or not, joking or not. Never.

I would hope they don't normally act this way sober. Could be though. I didn't see anyone blow or give a blood sample. To me, it looks like one had too many.

My two cents: I don't care what anyone drinks. I don't count for anyone but myself. I'm not driving the boat. My goodness, getting up early for all those excursions? Who has the time - but I love my wine.

Last edited:

I've actually seen DCL bartenders encourage patrons to drink all their drinks at mixology!

I was at a very under-attended martini tasting class. I was sitting at a table by myself where the bartender had set up for 4 people. 2-3 of the martinis were pre-poured. The bartender encouraged me to finish up everything on the table (in addition to the full set that I had). I drank the ones I enjoyed the most, offered the others to the couple on my right, and we all left feeling very buzzed.

I was at a very under-attended martini tasting class. I was sitting at a table by myself where the bartender had set up for 4 people. 2-3 of the martinis were pre-poured. The bartender encouraged me to finish up everything on the table (in addition to the full set that I had). I drank the ones I enjoyed the most, offered the others to the couple on my right, and we all left feeling very buzzed.

But some people are sooooo sure DCL changed the policy to stop the drunks. LOL

I have closed caption. They are really fighting about pool seat savers. Take those chairs away!!!!!! ;)

"You said overboard...you can't say overboard on a ship!" "Overboard overboard overboard, bbbbbbbbbboard." {Meet the Parents}

Seriously, you don't say that. Don't threaten that. Ever. SMH Drunk or not, joking or not. Never.

I would hope they don't normally act this way sober. Could be though. I didn't see anyone blow or give a blood sample. To me, it looks like one had too many.

My two cents: I don't care what anyone drinks. I don't count for anyone but myself. I'm not driving the boat. My goodness, getting up early for all those excursions? Who has the time - but I love my wine.

No, things like this don't happen on a Disney cruise!!!!!!!!!
You must be mistaken and this was on Carnival!!!!!!!!

just kidding - I always laugh at the Carnival bashers when they say about Carnival cruises are "party ships" and "only on Carnival ships are there fights breaking out" and then point to the 1-2 YouTube videos. I guess somewhere they must have missed this one.

Disagree, for $1 or $2 tip they will serve someone drunk?? UK Pubs know when to stop selling and they loose profit on that but they have a duty of care and uphold that. Bar staff will stop, and i can see complaints the other way, Cruiser going to Guest services, "Why did your bar staff keep selling me drinks when i was clearly drunk, running up this big bill, oh and the tip of $25 I was drunk at the time, I want it refunded"

Your kidding about the pubs in the UK, right. I have seen tons of folks more wasted in pubs (UK) than on a DC ship. I'm pretty sure those folks stumbling around were not drinking tea

Last edited:
am I the only person who is happy about this policy. I am going on a Disney cruise for my kids not a booze cruise. There are plenty of those around and much cheaper.
Well, apparently you aren't the only one.

But I'm confused as to why somebody might think that past and current DCL cruises are a booze cruise since the policy isn't yet in effect?

I don't drink but I do not like the way Disney put this new policy into effect before people could cancel their cruise without paying a penalty. If those that like this policy are happy and are sending thank you letters, then don't expect me or others to send e-mails or letters for you when they put some new policy into effect that you don't like or take away some activity you partake in. Disney can change whatever they wish, just put them into effect after those that have PIF. Still don't think it's right that they are saying what kind of alcohol is allowed. They better plan on carrying a lot more hard liquor varieties.

popcorn::

Oh, yeah this is going to be a good one.

Just because Disney is not limiting what you can bring on board to drink yourself is not going to stop people who want to get drunk from doing so.

Good point. I drink, but don't necessarily want to get obliterated on a cruise ship. And if I change my mind, I'll just pay the tab. No biggie. :)

I am actually ambivalent about the change. It bothers me that people are discussing violating the rule. I posted the DIS thread on sneaking in alcohol on the DCL FB page.

I am actually ambivalent about the change. It bothers me that people are discussing violating the rule. I posted the DIS thread on sneaking in alcohol on the DCL FB page.

Oh, don't you worry about poor little DCL! Every cruise line in the world knows smuggling happens, and they know what to look for. They don't always catch it (maybe not even most of the time? I don't know). But the DIS didn't invent the concept. ;)

I personally have stated somewhere on one of these many threads that I won't be attempting to smuggle anything on, in fact we will only drink the 2 for 1 drink of the days once or twice if offered. So I am not worried about getting busted, but I have to ask why would you post that on the DCL FB page? What is accomplished by it? If you really wanted to make sure they knew about it a call would be more effective. Reading the boards it is hard to tell how much DCL monitors stuff like that.

Was that on the Magic? We saw a fight like that on our Magic cruise 2014 right in front of the elevators.

I don't need to be drinking to hit someone in the mouth. I wonder how many people watched the video and thought they were acting that way because they carried their own alcohol on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter