Handling Money Question - Wallet? Money belt? Something else?

We've never travelled outside of North America before and not only are we travelling to Europe this fall but we're travelling to Asia in the winter. When we travel in North America we usually use a travel wallet that carries all of our money and credit cards in one place and we leave our passports in our hotel room safe. What's the best way to carry these items in Europe and Asia? We are doing the Central Europe ABD so we will be in Prague for 3 nights, Germany 3 nights and Vienna 3 nights. For Asia we will be staying at most 2 nights in any one place as we tour around Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. We would love any input you have for the best way of carrying money, credit cards and passports.

Thanks.

I try to keep most everything in the safe in the room and have some local cash stashed in my bra. Completely embarrasses DD but so what? If I know I'm going to be shopping (as I did one night in Florence, Nelly bar the door) just put a cc in a small wallet in my purse and stayed alert.

Pretty sure there are better ways but this has worked for the past 4 trips to Europe. Somedays it helps to be anonymous middle aged woman!

Cash in the bra is too easy to lose, imo.

I have a slash proof/rfid proof crossbody bag. I keep everything in it. I never leave a thing in the hotel safe. Call me crazy, but I'm of the mindset that things are safer where I can see them than where I can't.

Commence tsk tsking.

My wife and I will usually split whatever we are carrying. I have a CC she has a CC, I have some cash, she has some cash, etc. If one of us looses something we have a backup. Generally we don't carry too much cash with us other than tips for the guides, which we usually bring in US currency, while on the way from home to a location.

Cash in our destination country we get from an ATM. There is almost always one in the airport and often in or near hotels and they usually have decent exchange rates. Check ahead for extra fees you may be in for though. Our bank is reasonable. This works in Europe at least. Other places I have been I have used US currency (usually in the airport since they are more likely to take it...) but you usually get a poorer exchange rate that way but your change come back in the local currency. Same for the currency exchange, convenient but expensive. Charge cards also tend to have pretty good exchange rate so we use those if we can. Again, if you have one with a low or no foreign transaction fee!

For around town, we carry a smaller portion of cash for use and keep the rest in the safe at the hotel (though this is not always completely safe either it seems). If I am carrying stuff I really want secure (Cash, Passport) I have a security wallet/pouch that tucks inside the pants and attached to my belt. This is for storage only. Anything I plan to use I have in pockets or pack. Likewise, my wife has a neck pouch she can tuck inside her shirt. She also carries a small, cross body purse for the essentials.

We also carry with us, a photo copy of our passport ID page, rather than the real thing. I don't recall having been asked for it other than at the airport but the copy is probably better than nothing if needed and doesn't risk losing the real one. It can also serve to help replace a lost passport I have read.

Last edited:
Cash in the bra is too easy to lose, imo.

I have a slash proof/rfid proof crossbody bag. I keep everything in it. I never leave a thing in the hotel safe. Call me crazy, but I'm of the mindset that things are safer where I can see them than where I can't.

Commence tsk tsking.

I also have a PacSafe bag (thanks SayHello!) and wallet that I use for all my overseas travel (with the exception of Australia which was very safe IMO). I will use it in China and Europe this summer. It has never let me down. It's so secure that I often struggle with it. No way is a pickpocket getting in!

No tsk tsking from me on not trusting the hotel safe. Last week I watched a security expert on GMA (I watch while I'm running on the treadmill) not only gain access to a room, but got the hotel staff to open the safe. Incredible but he didn't have a problem. He looted the entire hotel room in less than 15 minutes including the safe. He said the number one thing to NEVER do is identify yourself verbally while checking in -- he recommended sliding your d/l or passport across the check-in desk. He explained that thieves will stand close enough to hear your name and room number, then watch you leave the room and get the hotel staff to open your door using your name and room number he overheard. They showed it happen 3 times (the third time he also told them he forgot the combination to the safe and they came and opened it for him while the room occupant was at the gym).

I agree with the idea of using a Pacsafe type bag. Although violent crime is very very small there is a larger pick pocket type crimes that occur in some European cities. We were sitting in a side walk café and a women had her bag slung across the back of her chair and a thief came by and slashed the bags' strap and made off with her bag. Another time an older women was "selling" flowers" while an associate would try to pick pocket the other in the crowd. An American caught one of them with his hand in his pocket. Use your credit card and keep a copy of the card and numbers in your safe to contact the company if anything happens. It is a good deal if you use a credit card company that does not charge a fee for money conversions. those fees add up. BUT we have traveled throughout Europe many, many times and never felt a threat. Just be aware of the surroundings and you will be fine. You can often make deals with the booths you find set up in the open markets. Often the vendors will not charge the VAT tax if you pay cash.

My wife and I will usually split whatever we are carrying. I have a CC she has a CC, I have some cash, she has some cash, etc. If one of us looses something we have a backup. Generally we don't carry too much cash with us other than tips for the guides, which we usually bring in US currency, while on the way from home to a location.

Cash in our destination country we get from an ATM. There is almost always one in the airport and often in or near hotels and they usually have decent exchange rates. Check ahead for extra fees you may be in for though. Our bank is reasonable. This works in Europe at least. Other places I have been I have used US currency (usually in the airport since they are more likely to take it...) but you usually get a poorer exchange rate that way but your change come back in the local currency. Same for the currency exchange, convenient but expensive. Charge cards also tend to have pretty good exchange rate so we use those if we can. Again, if you have one with a low or no foreign transaction fee!

For around town, we carry a smaller portion of cash for use and keep the rest in the safe at the hotel (though this is not always completely safe either it seems). If I am carrying stuff I really want secure (Cash, Passport) I have a security wallet/pouch that tucks inside the pants and attached to my belt. This is for storage only. Anything I plan to use I have in pockets or pack. Likewise, my wife has a neck pouch she can tuck inside her shirt. She also carries a small, cross body purse for the essentials.

We also carry with us, a photo copy of our passport ID page, rather than the real thing. I don't recall having been asked for it other than at the airport but the copy is probably better than nothing if needed and doesn't risk losing the real one. It can also serve to help replace a lost passport I have read.

Exactly !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter