Handicapped Man wins Small World Lawsuit

cynzilla

Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adven
http://thedisneyblog.com/2013/03/27/man-wins-lawsuit-over-small-world-breakdown/

I firmly believe that the waiting on evacuation of this man was wrong, and the stress of the situation caused his subsequent medical issues, however the statement by his attorney stating ""This is a really important ruling not just for (Martinez), but for anyone that rides the rides at Disneyland — because they do break down often and they do not tell people. The court's saying that this kind of injury is foreseeable and that (Disneyland) has a duty to warn people."[/] is puzzling to me.

Isn't it inherently obvious that machinery can break down, just like an airplane on a runway or a subway in NYC or even your own vehicle? You take a risk everyday using machinery. I don't understand how they could've "warned him" further.

I'm wondering if he means that they should warn people who can't walk that they won't be evacuated with everyone else in case of a breakdown.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2013/03/27/man-wins-lawsuit-over-small-world-breakdown/

I firmly believe that the waiting on evacuation of this man was wrong, and the stress of the situation caused his subsequent medical issues, however the statement by his attorney stating ""This is a really important ruling not just for (Martinez), but for anyone that rides the rides at Disneyland  because they do break down often and they do not tell people. The court's saying that this kind of injury is foreseeable and that (Disneyland) has a duty to warn people."[/] is puzzling to me.

Isn't it inherently obvious that machinery can break down, just like an airplane on a runway or a subway in NYC or even your own vehicle? You take a risk everyday using machinery. I don't understand how they could've "warned him" further.

I agree totally the man should not have waited 40 minutes or at least they could have turned the music off.

But the rest!

Totally off the wall nonsense! Seems we all should be required to use our own common sense!

It like the warning labels on skin creams, not to eat it!

However we all have to remember this is California!

AKK

We have experienced a ride evacuation and yes we had to wait because Disney's policy is for the fire department to do the evacuation of someone in a wheelchair.

Our situation happened when someone dropped their glasses getting on Toy Story Mania so the ride was stopped to retrieve them but the jerk in the vehicle in front of my daughters wiggled his way out of the restraints just as the first vehicle started to move again shutting down the entire ride. Everyone was evacuated and CM's came over to talk to us until the fire department arrived. One of the park upper management gave us vouchers for ice cream and side we were the nicest evacuation they have done because we didn't complain and blame Disney the entire time.

He didn't win his whole suit he just got disney to give them 8,000 the judge threw out most of his claim and just left two small claims. But the main part of his suit was thrown out.

this is from jcb head of disboards legal department

This wasn't a settlement. Disney tried this case last week and the judge issued a decision yesterday. I hadn't been able to find out what happened other than that the judge ruled for Disney on some claims, including the claim that Disney violated the ADA in not evacuating him, and for Martinez on the other.

What was left was a simple negligence claim and (I think) a "signage" claim over where Disney must post signs to accessible bathrooms.

I figured the plaintiff's lawyer would run out and call the newspaper. Thanks David for the story link. The story is inaccurate in at least one respect. Martinez visited in late November when holiday music would have been playing.

_______

another post from jcb

The parties stipulated to certain facts:
Quote:
a. On Friday, November 27, 2009, the day after Thanksgiving, Plaintiff Jose R. Martinez (Martinez), who is a quadriplegic and Christina Buchanan
(Buchanan), his wife, visited Disneyland.
b. Martinez cannot transfer out of his wheelchair without substantial assistance.
c. At all times while at Disneyland, Plaintiffs had with them, hanging on the back of Martinezs wheelchair, a backpack that contained his blood pressure
medication, his anxiety medication and equipment used by Buchanan to catheerize Martinez to empty his bladder.
d. That day, Plaintiffs rode the Its a Small World attraction (Small World).
e. The Small World Operating Guide provides: Inform the Guest traveling in a wheelchair that a ride vehicle is available that can accommodate the wheelchair.
f. The Small World Operating Guide provides: Inform the Guest traveling in a wheelchair that there is limited time for loading and unloading.
g. The Small World Operating Guide provides: Inform the Guest that in the
event of a breakdown and/or evacuation, he may be required to walk certain distances, to negotiate stairs or narrow walkways, to have a companion assist or carry him, or to wait for an extended period of time in the vehicle for assistance.
h. Plaintiffs boarded a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV boat), which allows guests with mobility disabilities and their companions to ride the attraction without having to transfer out of their wheelchair.
i. Toward the end of the Small World ride, when Plaintiffs WAV boat was just leaving the ride building, the attractions power disconnected and all boats on the ride stopped.
j. Pam Tait (Tait), a Disneyland employee for 12 years and on Small World for three, spoke with Plaintiffs after the ride stopped.
k. Both Disneyland nurses and City of Anaheim paramedics were dispatched to the ride.
l. These paramedics are not Disneyland employees.
m. Before the nurses and paramedics arrived, Plaintiffs WAV boat moved to the load/unload dock and they exited it.
n. Two Disneyland nurses, Lina Geiser (Geiser) and Shannon Helm (Helm), and Disneyland security officer Jeremy Bustos (Bustos) arrived after Plaintiffs had disembarked from Small World.
o. Plaintiffs, accompanied by the nurses, then went to the First Aid Station, where Martinez could be catheterized in a unisex restroom.
p. Once at First Aid, Martinez (with Buchanans assistance) emptied his bladder, hoping to reduce his elevated blood pressure.
q. Disneyland refunded Plaintiffs park admission fee and Plaintiffs went home.
r. Plaintiffs have never sought nor received medical or professional care related to their visit to Disneyland.
s. Martinez has filed and settled over 30 civil suits alleging ADA violations and including claims for emotional distress. In no one of these suits did Martinez recover any monies for emotional distress, although he recovered statutory damages and obtained injunctive relief in most of these suits.
Because the court has still not posted its findings and conclusions, I can only make an educated guess (which I like doing as much as Spock will like doing 200 years from now) about the findings.

As I said, the judge disposed of the ADA claims about the Small World attraction itself. The judge appears to have found Disney employees were negligent in getting Martinez off Small World when the attraction malfunctioned. (There was no dispute that the attraction malfunction lasted "about one-half hour.) I have no clear idea why the judge found Disney was negligent. Comparing the public statements to the court filings, my best guess is that the ruling was based based on Martinez argument that Disney employees failed to "warn" him as "required" by the operational guidelines (e, f, g, above).

Martinez also argued that he was "prevented and deterred from the ability to independently locate restrooms at Disneyland, due to the entities' failure to provide adequate signage to direct persons with disabilities to accessible bathroom facilities." (He argued a lot more but apparently lost those claims). At the end of the trial, the parties filed briefs over whether Disney had to have signage at the First Aid Station saying that there were accessible restrooms inside. Martinez also argued that once he got to the First Aid station, there was no signage directing them to the family restroom.

Disney admitted the First Aid Station did not have exterior signage but argued it was not required by the ADA regulations. They may appeal this decision because, I think (haven't checked) this finding may permit Martinez to recover some attorney fees.

Again, I don't know why the judge found an ADA violation just that, it appears, that $4,000 of the award was the statutory penalty permitted under California law for an ADA violation. (I tried to explain about these same statutory penalties in the visual impairment blog post).

Disney "won" much more than it lost in this lawsuit - having the ADA claims about Small World tossed was a big victory - but no one at Disney is "celebrating" this decision.

Doesn't surprise me at all that he has filed 30 suits. There are disabled people that do this all the time. They can be very demanding. I had a friend whose husband did this all the time working with a lawyer that specializes in ADA violations. Sorry that this guy won anything from Disney at all.

There are disabled people that do this all the time.

There are people that do this all the time.

Obviously he was awarded this amount on a technicality. I know I waited for about the same amount of time on Splash one time when it broke down. I can't imagine someone could get money every time a disabled person was on a ride that stopped for a while. All amusement parks would go broke.

I was stuck w my daughter @ 1 am (Leap Year Day) under the two buzzards on the way up on Splash Mountain for aprox 25-30 min on an incline! The lights and everything came on and off dozens of times! I thought they were going to evacuate but every time it would go dark and they buzzards would act up again.

It's the inherent risk of being on a mechanical ride!

You have two choices- either get upset or laugh, as my daughter and I laughed, learning the whole buzzard shmeel by heart... "I'm afraid you're a bit too late. Laughing place? We've got your laughing place right up here. Sooooooo you're looking for a laughing place?? We'll show you a laughing place.Ha Ha Ha!" Sadly this FOOL has chosen neither choice and has made it his mission to sue! So sad for him.

I can't imagine someone could get money every time a disabled person was on a ride that stopped for a while. All amusement parks would go broke.

I think where he got them was that they failed to say, "and if you get stuck, you may wait longer than able-bodied passengers to be off-loaded." Which frankly, is obvious to anyone who looks at the environment and should not be a sticking point, but the ADA is pretty rigid, even when it isn't all that practical.

It wasn't compensation for being stuck, it was compensation for someone not giving the entire required spiel. It's like suing because your hair dryer didn't have a label saying, "don't use in the bath tub."

I think where he got them was that they failed to say, "and if you get stuck, you may wait longer than able-bodied passengers to be off-loaded." Which frankly, is obvious to anyone who looks at the environment and should not be a sticking point, but the ADA is pretty rigid, even when it isn't all that practical.

It wasn't compensation for being stuck, it was compensation for someone not giving the entire required spiel. It's like suing because your hair dryer didn't have a label saying, "don't use in the bath tub."
Disney does have some generally language on their disability guides that says guests with disabilities who are not able to walk or be carried out by their companions will need to wait to be evacuated.

So, they may have thought that was enough and this guy apparently argued that he should have been individually warned at each attraction.

Interesting to read the original story and see how it compares to the stipulations.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...nd-not-ready-to-help-disabled-in-emergencies/

And, apparently one of the man's arguments was that the restroom in First Aid was not marked, but one of the stipulations was:
n. Two Disneyland nurses, Lina Geiser (Geiser) and Shannon Helm (Helm), and Disneyland security officer Jeremy Bustos (Bustos) arrived after Plaintiffs had disembarked from Small World.
o. Plaintiffs, accompanied by the nurses, then went to the First Aid Station, where Martinez could be catheterized in a unisex restroom.
p. Once at First Aid, Martinez (with Buchanans assistance) emptied his bladder, hoping to reduce his elevated blood pressure.
So, if he had nurses with him, why did he need signs to find the restroom.

He didn't need signs. Once the decision had been made to file a suit over this, every possible tiny violation relating to disabilities and restrooms was ferreted out and included in the complaint regardless of whether it actually caused a problem for this man. Unfortunately that's how you win a lawsuit; throw enough, um, stuff, and something's bound to stick.

I was once caught on Haunted Mansion during a breakdown, and my car was at the part where you're tilted backwards so far you're almost laying down. I don't think we were stuck more than 20 minutes but it sure seemed longer!

I have been stuck on Small World twice. Once was for over an hour. If it had stopped a few boats later I would not have been stuck. Some stupid kids decided to tip the boat they were in so the wheels got stuck under the guideway. I found the castmembers to be wonderful. Although they could not evacuate me and my wheelchair, they did offer to bring me water and a snack of needed as I told them I am diabetic. My kids were looking for me and figured that I would not be on a ride that was closed and didn't look there. If they had, they would have seen me sitting right there 2 boats away from the exit. I didn't get anything in compensation because of it except for a thank you for being patient which was fine with me. Second time it was only 5 minutes.
Also been stuck on Figment and was evacuated by RCFD.

While I agree it sounds like this guy may at times be overly aggressive with his lawsuits, I'd like to point out that while 30 lawsuits is quite a few, he's also dealing with a law that's 20+ years old and where the only way to enforce it is to bring some sort of legal action. I have no idea if this guy starts with the more mild version of legal action which is a DOJ complaint or not, but I can say with certainty that I've been to many more than 30 places that had ADA violations where the violations never should have existed to begin with since the ADA existed before the place or before the current refurbishment (this is just of the places that do have to follow the ADA). I also have found that the majority are very resistant when you mention that they're violating the ADA, even though I tend to bring it up in a "I'm really sorry that this makes it difficult to impossible for me to use your store so I will have to bring my money elsewhere" sort of way. I don't seek violations out; I'm talking really basic things like a built in step with no ramp or a payment counter that is far too high for someone seated with no option for anything lower. I don't bring lawsuits because I don't have the energy to do it as my disability causes a large amount of fatigue. I have filed a couple DOJ complaints and my experience is that not much got done because I didn't have legal support and/or I couldn't put the energy in that was needed. I would be doing DOJ complaints at minimum quite a bit more if I didn't have so much fatigue. I don't have any sympathy for places that are newer than 1990 that claim that they didn't know they had to have these things because the ADA is readily available for them to consult and has been for that long (now it's online, but prior to that I'm fairly certain you could get free printed copies on request).

The radio report I heard said 42 *active* lawsuits................sorry, but that is way over the top.

In addition it seems he was suiting for well into 6 figures, of which all but these to issues were given a minor award.

AKK

So, if he had nurses with him, why did he need signs to find the restroom.

My guess is that his argument is that he should not have *had* to have nurses or ask a CM, that his dignity was in some way damaged by asking, "excuse me, where's the bathroom?" like thousands of people do every day.

I have been in First Aid at DL under trying circumstances. It is simply virtually impossible, short of a vision impairment, to not be able to find the bathroom. It's just not that big a place.

Anytime I have gone into First Aid and asked to use their bathroom I have been given directions to said bathroom by the nurse on duty. Hundreds of guests probably ask where the bathroom is on any given day. What makes him any different. It is a question no one should be embarrassed to ask. ADA is for equal access not access above what others get. Geez ask where it is and get on with it.

Anytime I have gone into First Aid and asked to use their bathroom I have been given directions to said bathroom by the nurse on duty. Hundreds of guests probably ask where the bathroom is on any given day. What makes him any different. It is a question no one should be embarrassed to ask. ADA is for equal access not access above what others get. Geez ask where it is and get on with it.

Your right ask a custodial cm and they will say that's most likely the number one question they get asked by every guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter