Handicapped Accessible Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnie Monellen

DIS Veteran
I spoke with DCL --- you do not need a doctor's note to reserve a handicapped accessible room. You do not have to worry about the stateroom you have reserved being given to someone who provides documentation that they are handicapped.

I was giving only so much time to get the medical paperwork in for our handicapped room or we were going to lose it.

I spoke with DCL --- you do not need a doctor's note to reserve a handicapped accessible room. You do not have to worry about the stateroom you have reserved being given to someone who provides documentation that they are handicapped.

What a terrible policy. We all know that there are people that will reserve these rooms that do not need them. (A lot of people prefer the layout as it has more open space.) Next thing you know, someone will be posting it in the "tips" thread.

What a terrible policy. We all know that there are people that will reserve these rooms that do not need them. (A lot of people prefer the layout as it has more open space.) Next thing you know, someone will be posting it in the "tips" thread.

I agree! If this is true, people like my daughter (who has a wheelchair) won't be able to cruise because all the handicapped rooms will be the first to be snatched up! :confused3

From a document on the Disney Travel Agents site:

"SPECIAL SERVICES INFORMATION FORM
Guests with special needs may submit a Special Services Form to Disney Cruise Line at least
30 days prior to the sailing date. Once the Form has been received, Disney Cruise Line will
determine its ability to accommodate any special need on a case-by-case basis. Due to the
limited medical facilities onboard ship and other factors, Disney Cruise Line may not be able to
accommodate all special needs. Failure to disclose an accurate or complete description of any
special needs may result in Disney Cruise Line not being able to provide the appropriate
accommodations or arrangements."

If indeed that is DCL policy, it seems they aren't being diligent in efforts to ensure that those rooms are assigned to people who actually need them.

Could you imagine how the use of handicapped parking spaces would be taken advantage of, it people were not required to have permits to park there?

I would worry more if I DIDNT give up the room to someone who had a documented note from a doctor that needed the handicapped room and I didnt.

That's just shameful if someone is booking the room to have more space and there is someone there that needs the room because they do not have the use of their legs. Shameful!

I would worry more if I DIDNT give up the room to someone who had a documented note from a doctor that needed the handicapped room and I didnt.

That's just shameful if someone is booking the room to have more space
and there is someone there that needs the room because they do not have the use of their legs. Shameful!

I was surprised when I read in another thread that there were people who would apologetically do just that.

OP is obviously one of the people who will book an HA room for convenience even if they don't need the accessibility - notice how she advises us all we don't need to worry about having the HA stateroom taken from us and given to someone who actually needs it :mad: . My father is quadriplegic with a power wheelchair and would not have been able to sail with us without an HA room. Luckily I had the medical forms filled out and back to DCL within three days of booking his cabin so we were able to ensure he had an accessible cabin. I am disgusted by people who have no consideration for individuals with disabilities - in case you haven't noticed, people don't ask to become disabled, they would gladly trade places with an able bodied person and give up their wheelchairs and larger accessible cabins. Any volunteers to trade places with my dad? HA rooms are there so people with disabilities can enjoy a Disney Cruise with their family, not for selfish people who want a bigger room. In my opinion, Disney should not allow people to even reserve HA rooms without a doctors note saying an HA room is a necessity for the cruiser. At a certain time (90 days out, 120 days, whatever) it would be acceptable for Disney to release these rooms to the general public with the stipulation that they would be moved to another cabin if someone with a medical need booked before the sail date.

Have some common decency and consideration for other people for goodness sakes.

- Bree

Unfortunately this must be true. My brother has CP and in a power chair. He needs extra turning room for his chair and a full HA bathroom. We booked our June cruise almost a year in advance, he wanted an inside room and none were available, he was forced to pay extra (alot more) for the oceanview. Now I can't imagine all of the inside views were taken by people who needed those rooms.

I am very surprised to hear this. I have cruised with my disabled daughter and prior to sailing to had to have the medical form completed by her Doc.I really hope people that do not need the rooms do NOT book them. I had to book a cruise for NEXT aug to be able to get th HA room we needed!!!!

OP is obviously one of the people who will book an HA room for convenience even if they don't need the accessibility - notice how she advises us all we don't need to worry about having the HA stateroom taken from us and given to someone who actually needs it :mad: . My father is quadriplegic with a power wheelchair and would not have been able to sail with us without an HA room. Luckily I had the medical forms filled out and back to DCL within three days of booking his cabin so we were able to ensure he had an accessible cabin. I am disgusted by people who have no consideration for individuals with disabilities - in case you haven't noticed, people don't ask to become disabled, they would gladly trade places with an able bodied person and give up their wheelchairs and larger accessible cabins. Any volunteers to trade places with my dad? HA rooms are there so people with disabilities can enjoy a Disney Cruise with their family, not for selfish people who want a bigger room. In my opinion, Disney should not allow people to even reserve HA rooms without a doctors note saying an HA room is a necessity for the cruiser. At a certain time (90 days out, 120 days, whatever) it would be acceptable for Disney to release these rooms to the general public with the stipulation that they would be moved to another cabin if someone with a medical need booked before the sail date.

Have some common decency and consideration for other people for goodness sakes.

- Bree

The reason I posted this information is because I reserved a handicapped room for my mother and was concerned if if needed to provide medical documentation after reading several posts on this subject in other threads. My mother has mobility issues and uses a walker. While onboard we will rent a scooter and a wheelchair for her transport. She also has balance problems and needs the special shower facilities in the HA room.

OP is obviously one of the people who will book an HA room for convenience even if they don't need the accessibility - notice how she advises us all we don't need to worry about having the HA stateroom taken from us and given to someone who actually needs it :mad: .

- Bree

How do we know that about this OP based on this post? (Or is there other posts you are basing your conclusion on)

If the information is accurate, all she has done was pass on information provided to her by Disney.

For all any of us know, she called them to find out where to fax the letter so she could book a HA room and was told it wasn't necessary.

(ETA) Nevermind, I just re-read the 'don't worry' part. I hope that was just a case of using poor verbiage than her actually feelings on the matter.

How do we know that about this OP based on this post? (Or is there other posts you are basing your conclusion on)

If the information is accurate, all she has done was pass on information provided to her by Disney.

For all any of us know, she called them to find out where to fax the letter so she could book a HA room and was told it wasn't necessary.

(ETA) Nevermind, I just re-read the 'don't worry' part. I hope that was just a case of using poor verbiage than her actually feelings on the matter.

The reason I posted this information is because I reserved a handicapped room for my mother and was concerned if if needed to provide medical documentation after reading several posts on this subject in other threads which seemed to indicate you could have your room reassigned if you did not provide medical documentation. My mother has mobility issues and uses a walker. While onboard we will rent a scooter and a wheelchair for her transport. She also has balance problems and needs the special shower facilities in the HA room.

We did not have to provide medical forms for my 93 year old grandma to get a HA room. At first we weren't able to get it, but one came available at the PIF date and I just happened to see it pop up online and booked it (they couldn't see it at reservations) I asked DCL if there was a HA room waiting list and they said no. I asked if they make sure HA rooms were for those who really need it and they said no. The special needs form that we filled out was for first seating due to diabetes. On the PC cruise in Jan one of the rooms we toured was the HA 1 bed suite and the occupants were not obviously in need ( not that I am one to judge). I agree that like the HC spaces in the parking lot, there should be some way that people who need it. If there are some left over then so be it. One thing to note you loose the bath tub including the jet tub in the 1 bed suites.

So, just so I'm clear, my wife who has had double knee surgery and has a HA permit that hangs from our car mirror shouldn't be in one of these rooms because she's not in a wheelchair?

When we go to WDW, she walks when she can, but sometimes, we rent a wheelchair. I'm sure people look at her thinking we are doing this for some "front of the line" access. After all, we are both in our 30s.

The reason I posted this information is because I reserved a handicapped room for my mother and was concerned if if needed to provide medical documentation after reading several posts on this subject in other threads which seemed to indicate you could have your room reassigned if you did not provide medical documentation. My mother has mobility issues and uses a walker. While onboard we will rent a scooter and a wheelchair for her transport. She also has balance problems and needs the special shower facilities in the HA room.

Then I am glad you and your mother got the room she needed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter