• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Handicap Access???

CelestriaSky

Earning My Ears
My mother, father, me (34) and ds are heading off to Disney at the end of this week for a week - YAY!!!

Anyway, due to some unforeseen circumstances - BOTH of my parents are going to be on scooters. My mother had foot surgery in late July, my dad had knee surgery a week later and then last week - he fractured his knee cap!! UGH! But, both of them are troopers and are heading down with us. I'm wondering if there is some way my dad would be able to at least sit down while he waits in line (my mom doesn't ride the rides except TOT - LOL) or if there's anything they can do for him. Both of them have handicap parking passes.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice :) TIA!

Don't worry, nearly all lines are streamlined so he can take the scooter in and stay in line with you. Some have special entrances, like BTMRR where they will send him (and his party) up the exit ramp. The ones that aren't accessible by scooter or have a special entrance (because the queue doesn't have room for it) they will give him a wheelchair for the queue. Rest assured that WDW is one of the most handicap-friendly places you will visit...have a great time!

Ask CMs if you aren't sure...and may I recommend The Open Mouse from http://www.passporter.com They have all the info on what rides let ECVs in, what rides they will have to transfer to wheelchairs and so on. Fantastic book and will make your trip go much smoother because you will be prepared.

stop by guest services, tell them you need a GAC for reasons stated, and the guest assistance guide for alternate entrances.

I used a scooter last Oct (herniated disk) and most all the queues are quite scooter friendly. If not, an alternate entrance is available. It worked wonderfully. :drive:

stop by guest services, tell them you need a GAC for reasons stated, and the guest assistance guide for alternate entrances.
A GAC (Guest Assistance Card) is not needed with an ECV (also called scooter). Most of the attractions have accessible lines (called MAINSTREAM LINES) where they can wait in line with their scooters with everyone else, so he won't need to worry about sitting.
For those few attractions that are not accessible thru the main line, the CMs will see the ECV and route you to the correct place for boarding. You won't need a GAC to use whatever is the wheelchair accessible entrance/route.

WDW's official suggestion for people who are concerned about walking or standing in line is to use a wheelchair or ECV. The reason for that is the distances walked in a visit to WDW are huge and much of the walking is done outside of lines.
For those attractions that have a long distance to walk in the queue, a GAC will not shorten the walk - you will still walk the same distance.

If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find all sorts of useful information without even asking any questions.
Post #2 of that thread has information about renting ECVs.
Post #3 has links - at the top of that post, there are links to the text of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at each park. You can get a printed version from Guest Services in the parks, but it's nice to see the information ahead of time.
Post #6 has questions and answers about GACs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter