• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hand, foot and mouth disease!

TheUnknownComic

Mouseketeer
Got back from 12 day Disney trip. 9 days at YC and 3 at BLT. 2 days after getting back Dd4 got rash on hands legs feet and in mouth. Painful with a pimple like look . Dr. said it was from a virus found in stools and kids always putting hands in mouth.

So sorry! My DS has had it and it's really miserable. Hope it passes quickly for your little one!

I have 3 children and had never heard of this until early this year when my youngest had started a large nursery. He too had as you described and was irritable for a few days with it but soon got over it. He's since had it again. I thought it was rare and as a student nurse asked medical staff about it but apparently its very common and not anything to worry about.

I realized she swam at storm along bay a lot and I noticed lots of babies in swimmy diapers. How many of those might have had a load in them. Not sayin she could have gotten it herself but this is apparent season for it so keep those hands clean and keep em out of their mouthes!

Back when my son was 1 1/2, he and his caregiver's 2 yr old son got it. Then both my husband and her husband got it. Not a fun time.

I can assure you that my DH and her DH weren't putting their hands in their mouths..... I think there are other ways to pass it on besides direct contact with stool.

Your son will be better before long, OP. This is not an unusual thing to get as a child.

Apparently once u get you should be immune but even though you clear up and get bettering still can spread fora week or so and can come back again. But is not a big deal according to dr. but they are painful and cause fever.

I just researched it online and the virus is in stool but gets spread from , well lets see how many kids hold hand railings at Disney. Adults is rare cause most have it when young and are then immune like any other virus.

It is a very very common childhood disease. Hope your DD is feeling better, soon. It is also contagious from coughs and sneezes. Almost all adults have had it as children and have built up immunity.

The virus can be cause miscarriage, so if you are pregnant or know someone who is, you might want to be extra careful.

Like others have said, it's extremely contagious. And, like most viruses, it's contagious before you have symptoms, so it spreads really easily, even if parents are responsible and keep their kids home (or in the hotel room) once they are actually sick.
Anywhere there are a group of kids (daycare, mall, playground, disney world) childhood viruses like this are easily spread. It's certainly miserable when you're kid is sick, but not really a mystery or a concern in the grand scheme of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter