• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hamilton on Disney Plus this Friday....who's excited!!??

I don’t have Disney Plus, but after hearing so much about this play for so many years I would have been interested in seeing it. Though I must admit, in general I am not a huge musical fan. When I was young, movies that snuck songs into the plot turned me off I think!

Well we were supposed to go to see this on July 4th (my DDs b-day) as her combo 8th grade graduation/bday present but you know....stupid COVID. She LOVES the soundtrack....got me into it. I really enjoy the music and story that he was able to convey in all those songs (and I'm not a rap guy). And we were supposed to go to WDW in May for my other DD's bday. So, to sum up:

Hamilton- good.
COVID- bad.

Count me in as another person who just didn't understand all the hype around this one. I was fortunate to see it last fall in Boston with DD17. DS21 was supposed to go, but ended up not being able to get away from college that evening to see it. He was so disappointed; he had been listening to the music since before it became popular.
Don't get me wrong, it was a very good show, I just couldn't imagine paying big bucks to see it. It wasn't because I didn't know the music. Between DS and DD I had heard the soundtrack a gazillion times. It just didn't wow me. I was clearly in the minority though; I have never felt such energy in a theater!
I will be watching though and keeping any negative comments to myself. And, I am hoping that I actually like it better the second time around. That happens to me sometimes with the theater. Cats is one that I couldn't stand the first time I saw it and then really enjoyed the next time I saw it. Maybe the problem is actually me, lol.

Count me in as another person who just didn't understand all the hype around this one. I was fortunate to see it last fall in Boston with DD17. DS21 was supposed to go, but ended up not being able to get away from college that evening to see it. He was so disappointed; he had been listening to the music since before it became popular.
Don't get me wrong, it was a very good show, I just couldn't imagine paying big bucks to see it. It wasn't because I didn't know the music. Between DS and DD I had heard the soundtrack a gazillion times. It just didn't wow me. I was clearly in the minority though; I have never felt such energy in a theater!
I will be watching though and keeping any negative comments to myself. And, I am hoping that I actually like it better the second time around. That happens to me sometimes with the theater. Cats is one that I couldn't stand the first time I saw it and then really enjoyed the next time I saw it. Maybe the problem is actually me, lol.
The Boston show was missing some key figures as Carvens (George Washington) had just been promoted to Broadway and left that tour. I think Austin Scott (Hamilton) might have still been there but he was sick alot that year so Nicholas Christopher (Burr) or the other understudy may have been filling in. I think Eliza may have been gone by that time too.

The strength of the cast (especially on the National Tours and Chicago/San Fran) can make a big difference, especially in the key roles GW, Hamilton, Burr, Eliza and . . . Peggy.

The Boston show was missing some key figures as Carvens (George Washington) had just been promoted to Broadway and left that tour. I think Austin Scott (Hamilton) might have still been there but he was sick alot that year so Nicholas Christopher (Burr) or the other understudy may have been filling in. I think Eliza may have been gone by that time too.

The strength of the cast (especially on the National Tours and Chicago/San Fran) can make a big difference, especially in the key roles GW, Hamilton, Burr, Eliza and . . . Peggy.
I asked DD. She says that Austin Scott was Hamilton. Christopher was Burr and Hannah Cruz was Eliza. She saves all her Playbills and still has the cast insert.
I just think maybe I was expecting too much and it couldn't live up to my expectations. On the other hand, I loved Les Mis, Wicked, and Anastasia so much more than I was expecting, so you never know.

I asked DD. She says that Austin Scott was Hamilton. Christopher was Burr and Hannah Cruz was Eliza. She saves all her Playbills and still has the cast insert.
I just think maybe I was expecting too much and it couldn't live up to my expectations. On the other hand, I loved Les Mis, Wicked, and Anastasia so much more than I was expecting, so you never know.

Cruz had just taken over the Eliza role at that point.
Like I said Carvens had just left before Boston to take over GW on Broadway, and honestly the new GW was underwhelming, just didn't have "It". And GW is such a key role since he has a grand appearance half way through the 1st act and brings the house down in the 2nd.

That was widely considered the best not Broadway cast but you guys missed out on Carvins and Julia (and had some new people debuting):
Carvins (1st one promoted to Broardway)
Austin Scott (promoted to Broadway in the Hamilton role)
Nicholas Christopher (prompted to Broadway in the GW role after Carvins moved on)
Julia K Harriman (Eliza)
Bryson Bruce (Marquis De Lafaytte Jefferson)
Chandre Hall Broomfield (Hercules Mulligan/Madison)
Rubens Cabrajal (John Laruents/Son)
Isa Briones (Peggy)

I think the new cast would have been fine for alot of people but for those with really high expectations, the cast can really make a difference in blowing you away.

I'm interested. My kids know the entire soundtrack, and the oldest saw it at Pantages.

I can't wait! Saw it when it came to Dallas and loved it, but looking forward to seeing the original cast. Love Leslie Odom.

I'm excited to see the OG cast. We saw it in London in 2018 and it was very good. I saw it knowing very little about it and had never heard the songs from it! I still liked it a lot and started listening to the songs afterward. My kids both knew every word to every song and said it was slightly distracting to have someone that wasn't Lin be Hamilton because he has such a distinctive voice. If it were me I would definitely wait and see the live on stage version first before watching it on Disney+, but that's if you had plans to see it live. If not, the Disney+ version will be awesome. I think it's great they're making it so accessible to everyone.

I am sure I will get around to watching it, but definitely no countdown here. 😬

I contribute it to being that person. When people rave and rave about something, I go into it with HUGE expectations -- or better yet unrealistic expectations -- and no matter how good it actually is, I already built it up to be bigger than it could possibly ever be. And I inevitably leave saying, "meh" when it is over. I just have that inclination Hamilton is going to be in this camp.

I was planning on doing the 7-day free trial for my Birthday in May. When this was announced just a week or so before I postponed it. I plan on getting it on Thursday night and binging everything I can Friday - Sunday.

I was planning on doing the 7-day free trial for my Birthday in May. When this was announced just a week or so before I postponed it. I plan on getting it on Thursday night and binging everything I can Friday - Sunday.
They got rid of the 7 day free trial about 10 days ago.
So you'll have to do what I am doing and pay $6.99 for one month and then cancel.

Bummer. Oh well. Guess I should have done it for my birthday.
My feeling is that it is just a temporary thing and then a couple months after Hamilton they may bring the 7 day free trial back. I think they just wanted to make money off the Hamilton fans who would just use the 7 day free trial to watch Hamilton and then cancel. It's right up Bob Iger's MO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter