• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Halogen Hobs?

Janice

Super Shopper
Help!!!

I now have to cook by electricity - had gas at our old house, although I did have an Electric Fan oven, but am not used to cooking on the hob by electricity. The one that was here was quite horrid - big black ring things and not quite in pristine condition, even though the house is only 12 years old - so we went out and ordered a new Halogen hob. It has arrived and Chris has fitted it - but I am petrified now of making it mucky!

Anyone any good tips on cleaning. I cooked some potatoes the other evening and the water boiled over slightly and it sort of baked on more or less straight away. How do you remove the baked on marks? I bought some Hob Bright which seems to work - sort of - but I just wondered how everyone else deals with this. Since that happened I have been using the largest pan I have to cook just a few spuds so that it wont boil over! LOL

Any help and advice gratefully received :D

Was the same with our new Hologen Hob. Hob Brite does work although sometimes you need to give it quite a good scrub.

So far that is all I've needed even when I let some milk boil over.

Hope this helps

Hob Brite is what I use and it works best when the hob is still warm. I use a kitchen tissue to clean and damp cloth to rinse.

How is the halogen hob? We've got a ceramic hob and we are buliding a new kitchen and changing to a ceramic with two halogen rings. How do they work? can you control them any better than a standard electric/ceramic hob? Do they cool down any quicker as the main problem I have is switching from boiling to simmer on our ceramic - it's impossible without moving the pot to another ring!

Jackie :D

Ah! Now there you have me Jackie! :) I have no idea really as I am not used to cooking with electric so cant really compare. All I know is for the first week I used the old hob and we had rare old concoctions I can tell you - that is why we went for the one we did, which sounds similar to the one your talking about. We got it from MFI in their "Half Price Sale", I do find it easier to control than the other one - and the heat does rise and fall fairly instantaneously.

We haven't had any burnt offerings yet and I dont think I've over or under cooked so far!!! LOL

It is quite different to using gas! When you turn gas down the heat reduces instantly but with the hob, it takes a while to cool and so you have to get used to reacting quickly and also some pans aren't suitable for the hob, particularly if they have thin bottoms!
I used Hob Brite and used it as often as pos - you don't want to use anything abrasive or the glass becomes scraped and scratched. They did pr9ovide a special scraper but I never used it. I was also nervous of banging anything down on the hob and cracking it!!
You'll get used to it in no time Jan :D

I had one years ago and hated it, for all the reasons Shirley's mentioned. Jerry's Home Store have some good cleaning products - not sure if halogen hob cleaner's one of them, but it might be worth a look when you're next at Bluewater, Jan.

We get Kleeneze and Betterware catalogues through our door with regular monotony and they have all sorts of cleaning products.

I've had a halogen for about 12 yrs now and it's as clean as the day it was installed. All I've ever used is Hob brite and a scraper. Wipe some Hob brite on, scrape gently at the correct angle and wipe off. Then polish with some dry kitchen towel.
Anything stubborn will come off with scraping, you just have to be patient with it.

No idea on cooking on it, dh dirties it, I clean it :p

We've had ours for 12 years and I don't think I'd ever use anything else.
DH gives it a gentle scrape occasionally with a blade if it needs it. I spread "Cif with bleach" over it, leave it for about 10 minutes and wipe it off with a hot damp cloth. Then I give it a little wash with washing up liquid, wipe with kitchen paper and it dries like new.
I find it gets less marked if you wipe it with a hot damp cloth every time you finish using it.
Hope you enjoy using yours!
Sandra

We have had a Halogen Hob for 12 years and use Cif on it. I must say that it helps if you wipe over any boil overs with a very wet cloth as soon as it happens. Even though it does boile instantly, this way it comes of very easily. BEWARE THOUGH IT IS A VERY DANGEROUS THING TO DO!!

The main advantage with Halogen is that it heats up a lot quicker than conventional hobs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter