• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, everyone that is around the Hub will have to stand up for the fireworks. Lately, the people that are in front of the castle for the fireworks have been sitting on the ground. This is what I have seen during the fireworks and the guests that are on the left (Frontierland side) and right hand (Tomorrowland) side of watching the fireworks are standing while the center is sitting on the ground.

I hope the trend of sitting during fireworks continues! It is so hard to see when you are short when everyone is standing!

Leaving tomorrow and so excited! :goodvibes Thanks to everyone who posted information in this thread. It's been so helpful! This is our first time at Halloween, and our first time driving to the park instead of doing some massive travel-by-plane trip. I gotta say... it's really nice!

I'll have to post a picture of my poor husband's costume when we go to MHP. He wanted to be Willy the Giant (from Mickey and the Beanstalk) which is a little difficult to pull off, so he'll either look like the character, or a giant weirdo in a really bad renaissance fair costume :rotfl:

With no intentions on beating a dead horse,:blush: here's yet another question on screams... When facing the middle of SB castle you want to be off to the left? Because when I think of 12-3 o'clock that makes me think right and now I'm confused. Sorry guys.:confused3

Also, are the lockers inside DL park open yet for 10/24? :confused:If so, if we are in DL all day and there for MHP, will we have to purchase a locker twice, once for a.m. and then for the party?

Leaving tomorrow and so excited! :goodvibes Thanks to everyone who posted information in this thread. It's been so helpful! This is our first time at Halloween, and our first time driving to the park instead of doing some massive travel-by-plane trip. I gotta say... it's really nice!

I'll have to post a picture of my poor husband's costume when we go to MHP. He wanted to be Willy the Giant (from Mickey and the Beanstalk) which is a little difficult to pull off, so he'll either look like the character, or a giant weirdo in a really bad renaissance fair costume :rotfl:

Travel safe! I am intrigued by the costume...lol.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on Toontown. Don't know how I missed that closing time, but will try to visit earlier at the party next week. We're going on the 29th.

Ok so I've got a strategy somewhat. Will arrive before 3pm at the main gate. At 5 I plan to follow mvf-m11c's path by starting out in BTR and then Toontown.

Would love to catch the second parade, but I think the kids are too young to hang in at 10:30pm. I'll have to check the map again and figure out the route.

We're thinking about renting a double stroller to avoid having to carry our grandkids back to the DLH and to make it easier on them if they both need a break from walking. (they're 3 and 4.5) I'm worried this may be too cumbersome to maneuver with the crowds and walking thru treat trails - not to mention parade viewing. Has anyone managed with one of these? Please share.

We appreciate all of the other reviews and trip reports. It has been helpful having information from others about their experiences so that we could manage our own expectations and plan our time at Mickey’s Halloween Party. Attending MHP would be our one an only visit to Disneyland Resort this year. We drove in from out of town and attended only the party. So we wanted to utilize our Disneyland time as much as possible during the time our tickets allowed entry. Hopefully this summary of our visit will be somewhat helpful to others that are planning an upcoming visit.

Date attended: Friday, October 17th, 2014
Parked in Toy Story lot
Arrived at DLR 11 AM
Downtown Disney window shopping, starting at World of Disney and working our way toward Disneyland Hotel.
Saw Chip 'n' Dale, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy, almost all at once, in the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel at around 12:30 or so.
Walked to Whitewater Snacks for a snack.
Relaxed and rested up in Grand Californian lobby for a while.
Ate a late lunch at Storyteller’s Cafe
Souvenir shopping at World of Disney
Went to gates around 3:30 pm
Party guests started to enter about 3:40 pm
After our party assembled, we entered around 4 PM
Picked up FastPasses for Splash Mountain (return time 5:30)
Got in line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, after about 20 minutes, the ride shut down and we were sent away with a FastPass for our group to use on another attraction.
We used our “choice" FastPass on Star Tours
Rode Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (15 minute wait)
Purchased trading pins at Little Green Men Store Command. They seemed to have all the Mickey’s Halloween Party pins. They even offered the Annual Pass exclusive pin. We weren’t interested in that one, so we don’t know if they would have sold it to us since we don’t have APs.
Rode Splash Mountain with our 5:30 FastPasses
Went to the pre-party at Big Thunder Ranch - We met Duffy and Jessie, and we went through the treat trails. We played ring toss with Duffy and the children spun the wheel for a prize. They got cute temporary tattoos.
Went toward Mickey's Toon Town and stopped at the Frozen photo backdrops for pictures.
Went to the pre-party at Mickey's Toon Town. We went through the treat trail in Donald's house, rode on Gadget's Go Coaster (5 minute wait), went through the treat trails throughMinnie & Mickey houses, rode on Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin (no wait), and went through one more treat trail.
Rode on “it’s a small world” (no wait)
Rode on Mad Tea Party (no wait)
Went through the treat trail behind Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Rode on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (10 minute wait)
Went through part of the treat trail in Critter Country
Rode on Splash Mountain with no wait (two times, second time without exiting the log)
Watched the “Halloween Screams” Fireworks. We got a spot by the curb on the street in front of Jolly Holiday, right where the path to Adventureland meets the hub. We chose a spot on the outside of the hub so my daughter could sit on my shoulders without blocking others behind us. We could see Zero flying and the projections on the castle really well, but not the orb with Jack Skellington. Although my daughter on my shoulders said she could see him. So if you’re really tall and trust the report of a preschooler, you might consider this spot OK. We saw the Halloween Screams fireworks in 2012 from a spot on the curb by Coke Corner. We were able to see the orb just fine from there. But even without being able to see the orb this year, we thought the show was great.
Rode Jungle Cruise (5 minute wait)
Ate a late dinner at Jolly Holiday
Watched Frozen pre-parade while we ate dinner. It went by at about 10:20 pm. We could sort of see some of the Mickey’s Costume Party Cavalcade. But Jolly Holiday isn’t really a great location for that.
Rode Haunted Mansion Holiday (25 minute wait)
Rode Pirates of the Caribbean (no wait)
Tried to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad again, but it was closed for the rest of the night.
Rode Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (2 minute wait)
Got in line for Dumbo the Flying Elephant, just as the park was closing (5 minute wait)
Took pictures and enjoyed the last of our evening as the park closed down
Stood in line for buses back to Toy Story lot (about 15 minute wait)

This was an exhausting trip, especially with a full day of driving both the day before and the day after Mickey’s Halloween Party. But we had a wonderful time and felt it was well worth the effort to make it happen. This is a trip we would consider repeating again in two or three years.

We also went to the party on Friday, October 17th. Two big thumbs up from us! The party was the last thing we did at the end of a three day trip to DLR.

We spent the morning and afternoon at DL and then left around 2:00 to head back to the hotel for my dd to change into her costume. We came back into the parks at 4:30 and had an early dinner at Cafe Orleans. I had a salad and the pomme frittes (yummy) and dd had one of the specials (beef short ribs), she loved them.

After eating we walked over to Toon Town to get in line for the pre-party. It was 5:30 and we were in the third line to enter...the lines moved really fast. We hit up the treat trail by Roger Rabbit and then rode the ride (very short wait). Then did the treat trail through Donald's house, Minnie's house and Mickey's house. The CM said there were 17 total stations in Toon Town. After Mickey's we rode Gadget's Go Coaster (maybe a 5 minute wait.)

We left Toon Town and went on IASW...very short wait, two boats in front of us went out empty. After that we did the Matterhorn...practically a walk on. After Matterhorn we did Tea Cups and Alice, again with hardly any wait.

We headed over to Big Thunder and did the treat trail on the way. Road Big Thunder with about a 10 minute wait. Walked over to Haunted Mansion to see if Jack and Sally were out for a meet-n-greet, but they were not out then. Caught Cadaver Dans show.

Headed to Indiana (hardly any wait) and Jungle Cruise (no wait.) After Jungle we started moving towards the Hub for fireworks. Genie and Aladdin were just coming out at Aladdin's Oasis, so we stopped for pictures with them. Made it to the Hub about 30 minutes before the fireworks. I thought we were in a good spot, but we couldn't see the sphere. We did see Zero.

We left after the fireworks...this was our third day in the parks and we had an 8:30 am flight out of LAX the next day.

Loved seeing all the costumes, there are some seriously creative folks out there! We had a fabulous time at the party and my teen dd said we need to make this an annual tradition. :-)

Hi! Our party is finally here!!! Do you know which side they start the parade? Also, how do they pick the kids to walk in the parade?

It has been a busy weekend at the parks especially Saturday. Busier than I have ever experienced in the past 10 years as AP holder. I have never been during any major holidays but I'd have to say busier than even summertime.

I'm so excited! I have been reading every post daily when I wake up every morning. After today I don't know what I'll do.

Weather is perfect! I don't want this vacation to end!

Just back from our quick weekend trip! We also did the MHP on Oct 17th. We focused mostly on M&G and treat trails.

We ate "dinner" at the Jazz Kitchen at 3pm. Entered the parks at about 4:30pm, got our bracelets, took some pictures in front of the pumpkin (2 min wait) and headed towards BTMRR, which was down. Went to Pirates, where my youngest decided she didn't want to ride. Posted time was 25 minutes, but after 40 minutes, sent DH a text telling him I was taking the little one over to Big Thunder Ranch. In the end, Pirates went down but they didn't tell the line - I think they waited an hour total. I did the treat trails over at BTMR and we saw Jessie & Duffy. Neither characters had lines. Pluto had been out, but disappeared before we got to him. We then all met up at Toon Town. The longest treat trail was by Roger Rabbit, but it moved quickly. Did RRTS twice, met Pluto & Goofy and then did the treat trails at Mickey & Minnie's and Donald's. At this point we all had full bags.

My brother's family split off and went to Tomorrowland, while we headed to FL. We rode the Canal Boats with zero wait and then did the treat trail behind Dumbo. Did the one at Village Haus (theming is amazing in there!) and then rode the carousel. By this point there were starting to rope things off for the fireworks. My parents left and my family headed towards Frontierland. I got in line with the little one to meet Peter & Wendy while DH took the older 3 on BTMRR, which broke down. They joined me in line and it switched out to Capt. Hook & Smee. Got back in line because my little one really wanted to meet Peter (and my son was dressed as Peter Pan) and we got back to the front right as they were switching out, so perfect timing! Fireworks started while we were in line, so we watched them from the dock. Headed to Critter Country from here, DH & DS went on Splash 3x while I took the girls to meet Pooh & Eeyore and then we rode Pooh 2x. Oh we did all the treat trails through NOS and Critter Country along the way. Went through Adventureland on our way out and meet Aladdin & Genie. Did the the treat trails down Main Street, including the AP exclusive ones. Thought about getting in line to meet the villains, but the only ones we we really wanted to see were Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters and we knew the line was so long they'd switch out before we got there.

We all had a wonderful time. It didn't feel crowded at all and all the lines moved quickly.

Wow!!! One week left before I got to MHP for the second time. I plan on doing BTR treat trails this time. I will also take picture with what ever characters are there then I will head to toon town after that. I hope that works that way.
What time dose the pre-party open for BTR?
I will be doing that one the 27th. If it works out that way I will let my friend know for the 31st Halloween night that what we need to first.

Wow!!! One week left before I got to MHP for the second time. I plan on doing BTR treat trails this time. I will also take picture with what ever characters are there then I will head to toon town after that. I hope that works that way. What time dose the pre-party open for BTR? I will be doing that one the 27th. If it works out that way I will let my friend know for the 31st Halloween night that what we need to first.

I believe it also opens 1 hr before the official party start. I got over there at about 6:15 and people were in there (7pm party). It's not an obvious area, so it was VERY empty. We got in & out in less than 15 minutes. I'm sure you could spend more time there playing all the games, but we wanted to get to Toon Town also. We had finished both areas by 7:20pm.

Booked! Arrival Sunday October 25th, 2015 until Thursday October 29th! DLH pool view room, thru Costco which throws in a character meal and a small gift card! :cool1:

I waffled waffled waffled on dates... Found out that 6th grade outdoor school is somewhere between the last week of Sept and the 1st two weeks of October. So, avoiding all that and trying for the last week of the month, and still coming home in time to do the school Halloween party on Friday and trick-or-treat on Saturday :)

I think that Sunday night might be our only chance for F!, hopefully there will be a MHP on Mon, Tues or Wed (gotta be one of those right?!) And we'll fit WOC in wherever we can.

Super excited!!

:banana:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I ran across a cool Halloween goodie at Trader Joe's in the Bay Area the other day. It was a "Haunted Gingerbread House" kit. Had to buy it and will be putting it together soon...... and looking for a few more fun things to add on to it!

:thumbsup2

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I ran across a cool Halloween goodie at Trader Joe's in the Bay Area the other day. It was a "Haunted Gingerbread House" kit. Had to buy it and will be putting it together soon...... and looking for a few more fun things to add on to it!

:thumbsup2

goooof1 --

Trader Joe's seems to be behind many other stores in putting out pumpkin spice things and Halloween-ish things (I guess they just refused to cave in to the pressure!), but some other items have been popping up there in the last couple of weeks.

I had not heard about the Hunted Gingerbread House kit at TJ's though!!! That sounds fun!

Just four more days til the party for us!! Does anyone know where we can take a picture with skeleton Goofy?

I remember reading here that Mickie and Minnie can be found at the Halloween Carnival. Do the Halloween character M&Gs here rotate and we would need to keep coming back to get pictures with multiple characters? We're mainly looking for Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy.

Thanks!

Just four more days til the party for us!! Does anyone know where we can take a picture with skeleton Goofy?

I remember reading here that Mickie and Minnie can be found at the Halloween Carnival. Do the Halloween character M&Gs here rotate and we would need to keep coming back to get pictures with multiple characters? We're mainly looking for Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy.

Thanks!

In the daytime (before the MHP) Skeleton Goofy should be at the Carnival, if he is in his skeleton outfit (along with Pumpkin Donald and other characters). He used to be out in Town Square in the skeleton outfit, but then all of the Halloween characters were moved to the Halloween Carnival 2 years ago.

The characters may rotate out, or there could be some characters there while others are on break.

Goofy is very frequently out as a skeleton at the carnival. If he's not out when you get there he should be within a half an hour or so. Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale and Donald are out most of the day. We have not seen Pluto out at all this year, and we have spent a LOT of time up there!

Thank you to everyone who have posted their experiences at MHP and also for Halloweentime in general. It has been extremely helpful!! We attended our first MHP tonight and had a blast! It wasn't as crowded as we expected, but we were in the park all day leading up to the party so we got in a lot of things beforehand. Our main goal was to see as many unique characters as possible. During the day, the festivities at Big Thunder Ranch was great. The Villain conjuring is really neat and moves along pretty quickly (they rotate villains every half hour and the CMs tell you the schedule if you ask nicely). Roaming around the carnival today were Mickey (purple magician outfit), Minnie (purple witch outfit), skeleton Goofy, pumpkin Donald, and police Chip & Dale. They were all around during the span of an hour, but be warned that they don't have a formal meet & greet (if that's what you're interested in). They roam around and stop for pictures, but it's not your typical character meet & greet with organized lines and set spots, so you need to be patient. I remember vampire Pluto from the other year but didn't see him there today when we were there.

As for the MHP, we did the ToonTown pre party at 5:00 and they started letting people line up at 4:30. It was nicely organized and there were lots of CMs directing guests where to go. They allowed guests into the pre-party in a single file line right at 5:00 and we headed over to City Hall for the various character meet & greets. The first set of three was Claribelle & Horace (by Daisy's Diner/Pluto's dog house), Sailer Chip & Dale ( right in front of City Hall) and Candyman Goofy (on the right side of City Hall by the Library). After 30 min they rotated to the next set of characters. We were able to get the first set within 15 min and waited for the second set. Pluto replaced Claribelle and Horace, Wizard Donald replaced Goofy and Mickey & Minnie replaced Chip & Dale. When they rotated out, the line for Pluto was short so we got him first, then went to Wizard Donald. During this time the line for Mickey & Minnie was relatively short, but by the time we met Donald, the line for Mickey & Minnie went all the way from City Hall to Goofy's house! A total miscalculation on my part. We should have done Mickey & Minnie first, then Donald then Pluto (as Pluto's line really never got that long). We could have gotten both sets of 3 done in the first hour but I totally dropped the ball. Rather than wait until 6:30 to see Mickey & Minnie we left to enjoy the rest of the party. It was a great time. Hit some treat trails, saw Pirate Donald at Rancho del Zocalo, Aladdin & Genie (first time seeing Genie!) at Aladdin's Oasis, Stormtroopers in Tomorrowland, and Jafar/Evil Queen/Hades on Main Street at the villain set. We were fortunate though. We really wanted Hades and his set with Jafar and the Queen was at 8:00-8:30. We got in line at 7:40 and it wrapped around to the front of the park. At that time Dr Facilier, Maleficient, and Cruella were featured. Before they switched out, a very friendly CM went down the line to inform guests that they would be rotating soon and let everyone know the next set of three villains that were arriving at 8:00. When they did the switch, Dr. Facilier stayed behind a bit and greeted guests in line, so we were lucky to get a pic with him. At the end, we just made it in time to get Jafar/Queen/Hades!

MHP was a great time. Lines for rides were short, the park was crowded during the transition period between 3:00-6:00 but it never felt too crowded (or at least not like a typical day when crowds are high), treat trail lines moved quickly and it was great being able to see some characters that you normally dont get to see. I only wish we could have stayed longer to see some of the other pirate characters (at Rancho del Zocalo as well as Mr. Smee or Jack Sparrow at the pirate landing), and Rabbit and Bee Pooh at Critter Country...but maybe next year!

We have not seen Pluto out at all this year, and we have spent a LOT of time up there!

We saw Pluto twice. Both times it was near the front entrance, across from City Hall (sort of where you can catch the double decker bus that will take you down Main Street.) This was on Thur or Fri of last week. We saw him there when we came into DL and then again when we left. Lines were forming and he was doing a meet-n-greet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter