HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
48 days left, :cool1: and we are starting to get our costumes figured out. We were thinking of having DH go as Olaf to (DD is Elsa). Do you think this kind of costume would be okay? The picture shows the model with their head down, but it is actually more of a hoodie style (doesn't cover the face).

48 days left, :cool1: and we are starting to get our costumes figured out. We were thinking of having DH go as Olaf to (DD is Elsa). Do you think this kind of costume would be okay? The picture shows the model with their head down, but it is actually more of a hoodie style (doesn't cover the face).

TinkerJR --

In my opinion, the costume looks fine (as far as being acceptable by Disney's standards)! I can't see that there would be any problem with it (though hopefully figment_jii and Kilala will chime in on this too).

It's a really cute costume! I would expect that this year there will be a wide variety of Olaf costumes of all sorts, so your DH should fit right in! I think some of them will be more subtle nods to Olaf, while others will be crazy, elaborate 'presentations.' I am curious to see what's out there!

I was just mentioning in Dena's Trip Report (Dena is also the DIS'er who is running the October Check-In thread, with the list of October travelers and their hotels) that one costume I have heard about that is going to be hitting the Halloween/trick-or-treat circuit this year is the "Ice Bucket Challenge" costume.:confused: (Those of us who are on Facebook have seen the endless parade of Ice Bucket Challenge videos on our newsfeeds, every single day, from every actor, musician, comedian, mom, everyman, pet -- and even some politicians -- known to man.) I have no idea how it will work other than the bucket being attached to someone's head, but I am curious to see if it turns up at Mickey's Halloween Party this year.

We were thinking of having DH go as Olaf to (DD is Elsa). Do you think this kind of costume would be okay? The picture shows the model with their head down, but it is actually more of a hoodie style (doesn't cover the face).
I think the costume looks fine! I don't see anything about it that would go against the MHP costume rules. In fact, given the popularity of Frozen, I expect to see a lot of Elsas, Annas, and Olafs (and maybe a few Kristoffs) at MHP.

The only caveat I have (and it has nothing to do with the rules of Disney) is to have something in mind in case you're there on one of those hot/warm nights! That costumes looks like it could get pretty warm. One of my favorite costumes stories is of this fellow dressed up in full body Sully costume. This was at MNSSHP in Florida (where it's usually still hot and humid in Sep/Oct). I saw him at the start of the party in the full costume (PJ like outfit (like the Olaf costume) with head piece). The rest went something like this: by the start of the first parade, he had taken the head piece (a hoodie like thing) off. By the end of the parade he had unzipped the top half of the costume (he had a shirt one underneath). Later he had taken the top off and it was tied around his waist. By the second parade, he had taken the entire costume off and it was draped over the stroller's handlebars! :rotfl:

I got my tickets for October 24th, which is also my birthday!

I also got all of my dining reservations for the weekend of October 22-26 (Blue Bayou lunch, Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe for brunch and dinner at Carthay Circle). Just have to get plane tickets...I'll do that this weekend.

So excited!

I got my tickets for October 24th, which is also my birthday!

I also got all of my dining reservations for the weekend of October 22-26 (Blue Bayou lunch, Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe for brunch and dinner at Carthay Circle). Just have to get plane tickets...I'll do that this weekend.

So excited!

Jennafoo --

That's great to hear! :dancer: It will be an amazing Halloween-ified birthday for you (at MHP) on the 24th. It also sounds like you have some really good meals lined up (I love Carnation Café). Are you still going to do the Pumpkin Treats Crawl (or Halloween Snack Crawl, or whatever it is being called) with your friends?

I must say -- as much as I have been wishing for Fall to hurry and get here (still have to wait 20 days for that glorious event), Halloween Time at DLR is really sneaking up on me! In all of my wishing and hoping it seemed to get here much faster than I expected, and yet I still expected it!:rotfl2::rotfl2: In only 9 days, Halloween Time will be in full swing at DL! In fact, the pumpkins above the turnstiles at DL will probably go up by this weekend, or in 5 days or so. :woohoo:

Sorry about any duplicate posts...

Yes, Sherry...still planning a Halloween treats crawl! I have a whole list of goodies I want to try!

Fall Fever and Pumpkin Pandemonium continue to sweep the nation (and the grocery store shelves)...:yay:

Today's seasonal sightings (not by me) are:

Bud Light Lime Limited Fall Edition Apple-Ahhh-Rita

Cheetos Bag of Bones (which appears to be Cheetos in skeletal shapes) -- I did not know these existed!!!

Archer Farms Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa Mix (Archer Farms seems to really be stepping up its Fall game this year, already providing us with Pumpkin Spice coffee and trail mix)

Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale (I think I mentioned their Harvest Pumpkin Ale, which is also out on the shelves, in a previous post)

It is still early on in the "season," as it were (if we are to consider anything past Labor Day part of a general Halloween/Fall season). Judging by the bounty of Autumnal foods and drinks that are already hitting the shelves (many of which appeared early in August) -- and I have a feeling we have only scratched the surface of what is to come -- I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the plethora of holiday season goodies that are inevitably headed to the stores in the near future!!

Strangely, though, I have not yet seen a Halloween TV commercial of any kind (for non-Disney brands). I checked the previous Halloween Superthread, and it appears that I saw my first Halloween commercial of 2013 on September 16th (a Monday). It was the "Horseless Headsman" ad for either Snickers or Milky way (can't recall which candy it was).

I would have thought that the ads would begin airing earlier this year because it really seems like the various brands and stores are getting swept up in the Fall/Halloween madness. I fully expected to begin seeing Autumn-ish ads as soon as Labor Day was behind us.

We'll see. Maybe something will pop up on TV soon. Otherwise, I guess I expect the non-Disney Halloween TV ads to start running in about 12 days (around 9/15, if not sooner), and the Disneyland Resort Halloween Time ads should begin running on 9/12, or maybe a day or two early.

:dancer::dancer:

Sorry about any duplicate posts...

Yes, Sherry...still planning a Halloween treats crawl! I have a whole list of goodies I want to try!

Jennafoo --

I think you will find some gems on your Crawl! According to the Parks Blog that came out last week (with the sneak peek of the Halloween/Fall goodies headed to DLR), it sounds as if there will be a lot of the same things, and then some new things as well! There are always new designs of the seasonal apples, cupcakes, cake pops, various sweets, etc., but I suppose there should also be some all new Fall-inspired savory foods and meals (probably at some of the restaurants you have plans for!).

I am hoping that they (whoever makes the decisions about which treats to sell in the parks) bring back the Spooky Kooky Zombie Gingerbread Cookie that was part of Limited Time Magic last year (in celebration of the 13th year of Haunted Mansion Holiday). I remember that figment_jii was not all that impressed with that Zombie cookie, but the one I ate on 9/13/13 was soft, chewy, fresh and delicious (better than the usual gingerbread cookies with mouse ears that I always buy)! Yum!

I think you will be just fine with your costume. It's a hoddie so you can take the hood down if the CM's need you too

Tiss the season I guess. Destination America is showing 9/11 stories. It's 8 days untill 9/11. Last year the middle school right by my house blared the song "I'm proud to be an American" at 7:45 am!! I love that but please don't play it so loud that wakes me up. I did see a new Pop Tart flavor at Wal-Mart. I will remeber to bring my camera this time.

Were booked for the party on the Oct 14th! It will be our 2nd, first one was in 2011. The kids are getting excited about picking costumes. Now to the question!!

Our daughter(4) wants to be a witch and I found out Minnie Mouse has a witch costume!! I also found out BBB has a Minnie Witch package for $134.99. Has anyone ever done the holiday themed package before and is it worth it? The sad part is you do not get the FP to royal hall as you do for the castle package which is the one we have done before and that is what I'd pay the extra for so we don't have to wait in those long lines!

Also I have not seen this costumes in person I saw a picture of it. If anyone is and about in the parks and your looking at costumes can you let me know what you think of it? Debating on waiting or just going with completely different costume.

Thanks!!!

I don't know about the package but my daughter was minnie witch last year. I got the costume off of the disney store website within a week of them adding it plus the hat which is separate. They sold out of the hat the next day. We had tons of people commenting on her costume last year and specially the hat since no one could find it in the parks. My daughter still wears her costume all the time and loves it.

We're getting more excited every day! I think our costumes are finally figured out - I'm going to be a fortune teller, DD is a reptile queen (it's a crazy costume!), DS is Indy (have a shirt coming that will hopefully fit!) and DH is just wearing his Captain Hammer t-shirt. I also finished putting together my homemade "in-room celebration", I think my kids are going to love it. :)

Is there dates yet for the haunted house making at Ralph's? What about a full schedule for all of October.. We are going October 14-22 and we got our Halloween party tickets and going the 20th!! Looking forward to it

One thing I found out on Facebook is that a truck was spotted in Anaheim last night, carrying the Halloween decorations that will be placed along the tram path (which people will see if they take the tram to and from the Mickey and Friends parking lot, though the decorations can be hard to photograph from the tram)!!!!! :woohoo:

We're getting more excited every day! I think our costumes are finally figured out - I'm going to be a fortune teller, DD is a reptile queen (it's a crazy costume!), DS is Indy (have a shirt coming that will hopefully fit!) and DH is just wearing his Captain Hammer t-shirt. I also finished putting together my homemade "in-room celebration", I think my kids are going to love it. :)

briggscreek --

It sounds awesome! The reptile queen costume sounds incredibly fun and intriguing!:rotfl2:

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

Is there dates yet for the haunted house making at Ralph's? What about a full schedule for all of October.. We are going October 14-22 and we got our Halloween party tickets and going the 20th!! Looking forward to it

RuthieT --

Jazz Kitchen has not released the dates of the Haunted House workshop yet, but it usually just takes place over 3 or 4 dates (one of the dates being a D23-specific day). I asked them yesterday on their Facebook page about the dates -- and they are usually good about replying to people's questions -- but they have not replied yet.

I don't think the full schedule for October is up on the Disneyland Resort website yet. They seem to be taking their sweet time in getting the info up on the site this year.

halloween_scene.jpg

^^^^^That's part of the aforementioned Halloween tram path display, that perlster showed us in the photo above (thank you, perlster:worship:!)!

There is also another section/display further along the path, with ghosts.

If you are heading from Mickey and Friends to Downtown Disney, the displays will be on your right-hand side, and then they will obviously be on your left if you head from DTD to Mickey and Friends. Try to sit as close to those sides of the tram as you can, and have your cameras poised and ready to snap quickly!

I mentioned this tram display mainly because the folks who have either not been to DLR for Halloween Time in the past, or the ones who are staying at a hotel and would not ordinarily be taking the tram, may miss out on seeing this sort-of-hidden-but-not-really-hidden gem! It may be worth getting on the tram and riding it to and from Mickey & Friends just to see the fun display!

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the new Passholder News email (Disney Destinations) says that Elsa & Anna will join the Calvacade this year at MHP and that there will be Frozen inspired photo backdrops (unsure of where though).

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the new Passholder News email (Disney Destinations) says that Elsa & Anna will join the Calvacade this year at MHP and that there will be Frozen inspired photo backdrops (unsure of where though).

I hadn't seen the bit about the Frozen-inspired photo back drop, but the Disney Parks Blog said "the stars of “Frozen” – Elsa, Anna and Olaf – will appear in their special pre-parade prior to “Mickey’s Costume Party” cavalcade." It would awesome if they did something to make it Halloween-inspired (could you image it if A&E were in Halloween costumes? :rotfl:), but I'm guessing it'll be the same it is when it runs before Soundsational.

Your DH is clearly awesome.

LOL, we were originally all going to do Dr. Horrible, we're huge fans. My son was going to be Dr. Horrible, DH Captain Hammer, I was going to be Penny, and DD was going to be Bad Horse LOL. I was afraid that their costumes would be too hot though for September, the only horse costume I could find was a big plush thing. Maybe next year...

briggscreek --

It sounds awesome! The reptile queen costume sounds incredibly fun and intriguing!:rotfl2:

Thanks, I'll definitely post pictures! She always has to be some kind of animal, it sort of looks like a dragon to me, but with lots of tulle LOL.

I hadn't seen the bit about the Frozen-inspired photo back drop, but the Disney Parks Blog said "the stars of “Frozen” – Elsa, Anna and Olaf – will appear in their special pre-parade prior to “Mickey’s Costume Party” cavalcade." It would awesome if they did something to make it Halloween-inspired (could you image it if A&E were in Halloween costumes? :rotfl:), but I'm guessing it'll be the same it is when it runs before Soundsational.

The link in the email takes you to the blog you mentioned. Here is the text of the email though

" Anna and Elsa from Disney's Frozen join the cavalcade this year—plus partygoers can pose in front of photo backdrops inspired by the hit film!"

Them being in their regular pre-parade isn't quite as exciting as them being in the cavalcade, but I guess it's better than nothing :)

This is either one of the greatest ideas ever (for kids) or a diabolical experiment in terror.

Behold... Candy Corn Pebbles -- HERE.

I stopped eating extra-sugary cereal like this many years ago (bye, bye Cap'n Crunch!), but I used to love me some Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles. I am trying to decide if I would have enjoyed Candy Corn Pebbles. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter