• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see how things calm down after summer... Reading about long long stakeouts for the parade and fireworks now. Right now we are flying in Sunday morning, and planned on BB F! meal and to watch the new fireworks from there. Which works, but probably can't do PtN the same evening. 5 months till our trip yesterday... Lots to speculate about until then :)

I'm going to Disneyland Sept. 19-22. I honestly hadn't realized I'd be there for Halloween. I should have done more checking because I really wanted to experience the 60th festivities. I will be there Saturday-Tuesday. I know the schedule isn't out yet, but what are your best guesses about a Halloween party on the night of the 19th? I was hoping to see the special 60th Anniversary fireworks. If they do a party on the 19th do you think they might do the 60th fireworks on the night of the 20th? I know this would be speculation but I'd love to hear some speculation, please.

As beautiful as Halloween is at Disneyland, I've done that and I want to experience the glory of the Diamond celebration too so I hope they aren't taking things down or getting rid of the special treats. I'm going without any kids so I can have a cupcake for lunch and I don't have to be a good example for anyone. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
I think September 19th would be very early for a Halloween party. I expect the first one to be on September 26th, but I suppose you never know until they are actually announced.

Corinna

You mean I have to wait? :furious:

Just kiding. I figured I'd need to wait until official dates are announced. I just thought the experts here might have some theories.

You mean I have to wait? :furious:

Just kiding. I figured I'd need to wait until official dates are announced. I just thought the experts here might have some theories.

There are a few scenarios that could take place this year, during Fall/Halloween Time. Some of this speculation is based on previous rumors that trickled out last year, and some of it is just based on deductive reasoning when putting all the pieces of the puzzle together.

One scenario is that the current Disneyland Forever fireworks could have some sort of extended schedule, running on nights when fireworks might not ordinarily be shown in the off season (which is what happened in 2009, when Halloween Screams debuted for the general public and ran every night, all Halloween season long, with the exception of any nights that were affected by weather) -- simply because these are special fireworks created for a special year, and Disney may want to make them available to as many people as possible, for as long as possible, in 2015. I don't know if they'd have to get approval from the City of Anaheim to run the fireworks on nights when there ordinarily would not be any fireworks, but there must have been some sort of arrangement made in 2009. Presumably, Paint the Night will run on most non-party nights for the rest of the year as well.

Another scenario is that the Halloween Time season could start on a day other than a Friday this year. Instead of September 11th (only 4 days after Labor Day), or September 18th (which seems too late), the season could start anywhere between Saturday, 9/12 and maybe Wednesday, 9/16. They could even do something cute -- because this is 2015 -- and start the season on 9/15/15. ( Interestingly, WDW's Halloween parties seem to be getting a later start this year than they have in some other years. Wasn't it just a year or two ago when their Halloween party started on September 1st? This year, MNSSHP is starting on 9/15/15.)

Because Halloween falls on a Saturday, and 10/31 would normally be the end date of Halloween Time, it's possible that the season could extend through Sunday, 11/1 -- especially if there is not going to be a Christmas parade taping on Main Street several days later (no Christmas parade this year).

Another scenario is that, in keeping with the "15" theme, there could be 15 Halloween parties this year (up from 14 last year)... or there could be even more than that. One of the rumors from MiceChat/MiceAge a while back was that Disney wants to add more nights to Disneyland's Halloween parties, and start them earlier in September than they would normally start them.

So, while a typical MHP schedule would probably have MHP kicking off on Friday, 9/25, if the rumors are true the party could begin a week or week and half earlier than usual, and include more nights.

Of course, then we have the rumor of MHP possibly moving over to DCA. While I think that this would most certainly be a good year to do that, there have not been any recent 2015 rumors of this happening -- which leads me to believe that it may have been a consideration at one time, and is now off the table.

In fact, yesterday I was trying to find the 2014 thread on MiceChat where a forum member first posted that he/she had overheard some CMs saying that the party would be moving to DCA this year (it was originally posted as "News" until the MiceChatters complained and said that it should be labeled as a "Rumor"). That thread was active for at least a few weeks in October-November last year, and I can no longer find it! :headache: I searched and searched, using all of the keywords I thought would pull it up, and I am normally very good at locating old posts and old threads.... and it is nowhere to be found. I have no idea what happened to it.

In that same thread, if I recall correctly, another person said that the CMs who trained for MHP last year were told that big changes would be coming to MHP in 2015. So that is another scenario -- MHP location aside, it is possible that the events included in MHP could change somehow too.

All of that said, I don't think there will be a party on Saturday, September 19th. Disneyland seems to like to avoid Saturdays and Sundays for parties whenever possible, and the only reason there will be at least one Saturday in the schedule this year is because Halloween night is a Saturday. They can't skip a Halloween night party. But... if the rumors pan out, the party might not be in DL and could be in DCA instead, in which case it wouldn't interfere with the 60th's entertainment.

I think there would definitely be both Disneyland Forever and Paint the Night on Sunday, 9/20.

While certain elements of the 60th anniversary are going to last all year and into next year, Disney is not going to completely turn its back on Halloween Time -- and especially not on the holiday season -- when it is such a popular time of year for people to visit. Some aspects of the season could be impacted, but there are not a whole lot of Halloween decorations to begin with (outside of Main Street and Frontierland), so I don't expect the pumpkins to take a back seat to blue bunting or signs that say "D" or "60" or that have diamond shapes on them. People who are Halloween Time regulars will want to see the giant Mickey pumpkin in Town Square, 60th anniversary or not. If anything, Disney will probably find a way to integrate the décor and make everything work somehow.

I'm sure some of the 60th-specific treats will still be around, but again... Halloween Time is very popular, so there will be Halloween treats too.

( Interestingly, WDW's Halloween parties seem to be getting a later start this year than they have in some other years. Wasn't it just a year or two ago when their Halloween party started on September 1st? This year, MNSSHP is starting on 9/15/15.)

Yes, I was at WDW when their Halloween party started on Sept. 1 last year, Labor Day. It was very odd to see Halloween stuff up the night we arrived on Aug. 31, and people in costume at the bus stops when it was hell-hot-humid that week. They may have gotten some pushback about doing it that early.

I will be interested to see what DL decides to do with their dates and what entertainment. With such a large proportion of (repeat) locals, I can't see how they could cut back on what they offer during the party, like fireworks. But they are really pumping the 60th stuff too. Maybe that dilemma is part of why so little is known, and they might still be deciding based on the numbers/guest satisfaction they are getting from the new offerings?

PHXscuba

I was super excited that the party was moving over to DL, but once it did, DCA stopped decorating for Halloween...so now I'll be super excited if it moves back to DCA, if it means they'll at least drag the candy corn stuff back in, lol!

DCA always feels incredibly detached from the Halloween Time season. It feels like Halloween is only being celebrated in DL, and only in very specific parts of DL. All of that fun candy corn (not just the giant candy corn photo spot with the bite taken out of it by Heimlich, but all of the smaller candy corn hanging from the bridge and from the plants too, and the candy corn factory/tower) at least made DCA feel somewhat... Halloween-ish. Plus, they also played themed music in DCA back then. I remember hearing "Monster Mash" and some other magic/witch/eerily-themed songs playing in DCA (I think that "Witchy Woman" and "Abracadabra" may have been among the songs playing on a loop). That all stopped too -- the themed music left when the candy corn left!

Hopefully, the survey that DIS'er Dena did after her Halloween trip last year is a good sign -- she said that the questions seemed to focus on the theming in DCA, and decorations. Hopefully this means that Disney is actually thinking of bringing back some Halloween décor to DCA. There haven't been any rumors this year about a new Halloween decorations package, but it would more than likely happen after the 60th has simmered down a bit.

There is so much potential in DCA for interesting, theme-specific Halloween décor -- particularly in Cars Land and on Buena Vista Street, but certainly the other lands have potential too. Since there are really just two lands in DL that have a lot of Halloween-specific décor (Main Street and Frontierland), then I would expect at least 2 lands in DCA to get Halloween-ified. I kind of think that Disney may not put any decorations back in DCA until they add in some sort of Halloween event or ride overlay. In other words, the Halloween version of the Mad T Party is not enough to decorate other lands as well. But if they ever do a Halloween-themed World of Color and slap a Halloween overlay on TSMM, I think that we will see decorations appearing in DCA again. Needless to say, moving MHP back to DCA would be enough of a reason to decorate that park.

Can you imagine how darling Buena Vista Street could be at Halloween??? I actually expected it and was floored that nothing happened. That era had the very best "spooky but cheerful", "twisty but not twisted" Halloween items.

My fingers and toes are all crossed.

Oh- and also adding- you are correct- I definitely remember "Monster Mash" in the loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sherry E so you think there is a possibility of DLR running Paint the night each night? What about with an early 7pm close like a Thursday? And the same for Disneyland forever?

Also are the ticket prices a flat cost (no adult/child tickets)?

Can you imagine how darling Buena Vista Street could be at Halloween??? I actually expected it and was floored that nothing happened. That era had the very best "spooky but cheerful", "twisty but not twisted" Halloween items.

My fingers and toes are all crossed.

They could definitely play up the retro Halloween angle for BVS, and play up the kooky/wacky/automotive angle for Cars Land. They could put up monster movie posters or banners in Hollywood Land, or at least do something with a "monster" theme since that's where the Mike & Sulley ride is located. They could turn Paradise Pier into some sort of waterfront carnival with fortune tellers and that sort of thing. They could pump some fog into Grizzly Peak so that it's kind of spooky at night. They could put some giant trick or treat buckets (and candy corn) in a Bug's Land. Lots of possibilities.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that there was themed music in DCA for Halloween Time... until 2010, that is. Halloween Time basically left DCA after 2009.

@Sherry E so you think there is a possibility of DLR running Paint the night each night? What about with an early 7pm close like a Thursday? And the same for Disneyland forever?

Also are the ticket prices a flat cost (no adult/child tickets)?

I think that if Disneyland is looking at these new nighttime events as limited-run events -- in other words, if they don't expect to run them for the next few years -- they will probably treat them as such, and want to make them available to more people this year, before the schedule possibly gets reduced in 2016. So I think there is a good chance of Paint the Night running nightly on non-MHP nights, as well as the fireworks running on some nights when there might not ordinarily be fireworks. On MHP nights (when there is an early closure), there probably wouldn't be PTN -- unless it was included as part of the MHP events. It's so hard to say what will happen, though. It really would be easier if MHP were just held in DCA this year, but without all of the usual party exclusives I think people would be upset.

There are no MHP ticket prices for kids -- just a flat cost for everyone -- but, of course, the prices can vary depending on the day or date, AP or other discounts, etc.

If you guys would like for me too I can put some Halloween decoration pictures up from DCA. I'm working on a costume right now. I will post pictures of the unitard by this weekendI will post some pictures of me paiting the unitard too.

They could definitely play up the retro Halloween angle for BVS, and play up the kooky/wacky/automotive angle for Cars Land. They could put up monster movie posters or banners in Hollywood Land, or at least do something with a "monster" theme since that's where the Mike & Sulley ride is located. They could turn Paradise Pier into some sort of waterfront carnival with fortune tellers and that sort of thing. They could pump some fog into Grizzly Peak so that it's kind of spooky at night. They could put some giant trick or treat buckets (and candy corn) in a Bug's Land. Lots of possibilities.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that there was themed music in DCA for Halloween Time... until 2010, that is. Halloween Time basically left DCA after 2009.

Man wouldnt it be great if we didnt have to pick and they either did the party across 2 parks or alternated nights and had 2 different parties where one had the fireworks the other had a Halloween WOC, different ride layovers etc.

If you guys would like for me too I can put some Halloween decoration pictures up from DCA. I'm working on a costume right now. I will post pictures of the unitard by this weekendI will post some pictures of me paiting the unitard too.

Go right ahead!

Man wouldnt it be great if we didnt have to pick and they either did the party across 2 parks or alternated nights and had 2 different parties where one had the fireworks the other had a Halloween WOC, different ride layovers etc.

That would be great! I've pondered scenarios like that in the past -- I wonder how hard it would be and how much effort it would require to have the party in DL on some nights and other nights have it in DCA -- within one season. I am guessing that it would be too inconvenient, but it would be cool if they could pull it off at DLR. It doesn't seem like it would be a huge hassle to simply move the treat stations from one park to another, but I would guess that there is more involved than that.

I still think that this is not a typical year -- this year is not like any regular year at DLR. This is a special year with new shows that are presumably not going to stick around forever, which is why I tend to think that a few out-of-the-ordinary experiences might happen, such as fireworks running on nights when there would ordinarily not be any fireworks (like what happened in 2009, when Halloween Screams debuted), and maybe some changes to MHP or other seasonal events. Disney is really pushing this 60th anniversary in commercials and in their online media -- I can't see them wanting to just let the nighttime entertainment reduce to a regular off season schedule during Halloween Time... but at the same time, I can't see them wanting to completely turn their backs on Halloween Time and MHP either! Not to mention the fact that they do have some limitations (in a typical year) with fireworks.

So, it will be interesting to see what actually ends up happening! :lmao: It will be nice when all of our questions can finally be answered and we can know what to expect!

Gosh, I will miss the start by 1 day!!
We will be in the park Sept 7-11th!!

I wonder if the Pumpkin will be in the Plaza yet??

Hi Sherry:thanks: for the awesome thread as always!

--Lori:flower:

Gosh, I will miss the start by 1 day!!
We will be in the park Sept 7-11th!!

I wonder if the Pumpkin will be in the Plaza yet??

Hi Sherry:thanks: for the awesome thread as always!

--Lori:flower:

:wave: Hi, Lori!

We don't know when Halloween Time is officially starting just yet. It hasn't been announced. This year's Halloween Time season is a big mystery. We actually know more about the Holiday season at this point than we do Halloween Time, in that we know that the Christmas parade, holiday fireworks and Winter Dreams are all supposed to be shelved this year in favor of the 60th anniversary entertainment.

September 11th is only 4 days after Labor Day this year -- and Halloween Time at DLR never begins that close to Labor Day. Also, September 11th is... well, September 11th. It's not exactly a day associated with celebration and whooping it up.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Halloween Time will start on 9/11 (officially). I have stuck by that belief for the last year or two and will stick with it until I am proven wrong! :lmao: However, I would expect that random pumpkin-y things will have begun appearing in shops and on Main Street before the official start date -- just like how the holiday season sort of unofficially begins before Veterans Day and then officially begins after Veterans Day. The pumpkins may even be situated above the turnstiles. Haunted Mansion Holiday may even soft open before the official start date. The giant Mickey pumpkin in Town Square is, if I recall, the last thing to go up in the decorating process, and it appears maybe a day or so before Halloween Time begins. Last year, I recall that a helpful DIS'er in this thread spotted the giant pumpkin "backstage" and snapped a candid shot of it, well before it was ever put in Town Square.

I just tend to think that Halloween Time will officially begin somewhere between 9/12 and 9/16. I think that 9/17 or 9/18 would be too late, but it's possible one of those dates could be the start date as well.

Seeing that I know that Halloween is not a holiday you particularly enjoy, I'm glad to see that you are forging ahead with an almost-Halloween Time trip!

ETA: Don't stray too far from the Christmas/Holiday Superthread either, as there will be another Theme Week Countdown starting in the not-so-distant future! It will be Year #5 of the Countdown -- can you believe it?

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

:tigger:Thank You Sherry! I have not even been on the Christmas Thread yet, I will look for it! I have literally pictures of everything possible after last Thanksgiving there...
Yes, its true Halloween is not my favorite holiday, but I do love fall related things. I would enjoy BTR if it was open....
The park is opening later and closing earlier the wee I am there, also a BIG change for me.. might be fun to sleep in a little and take a little time in the morning, before rushing out. I am very excited!
Did you ever make it last year?
Now off to look for the Holiday thread........:love:

--Lori

September 11th is only 4 days after Labor Day this year -- and Halloween Time at DLR never begins that close to Labor Day. Also, September 11th is... well, September 11th. It's not exactly a day associated with celebration and whooping it up.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Halloween Time will start on 9/11 (officially).

Events get scheduled on Sept. 11 all the time anymore, even by Disney at WDW (and even in my native D.C. area). The date seems to have normalized and don't believe its history will be a deterrent to Disney. But it's easy enough to do a soft open on the 11th and list the 12th in all the materials.

This would be so cool! I would love to see MHPs move to DCA this year and that park transformed as well as DLP. And it makes a lot of sense considering the current 60th happenings going on this year. I can see the 60th décor and traditional DLP Halloween décor both work at the same time.

Has this already been covered - how did the holiday décor work when they did the 50th celebration? As far as both Halloween and Christmas. I know they didn't do MHPs then (at least I don't think they did), but what about any special holiday parades or fireworks back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter