HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the crowds during the Halloween party (not only for Trick-or-Treating and character meet-n-greets, but for rides too)? Especially for the Friday parties early in the season. Is it more crowded than a normal Friday evening, which I know can get crowded with local AP holders dropping in.

I don't think the Friday night parties are more crowded than a regular non-party Friday night simply because I don't think as many people are allowed in the park for the party as there would be on a normal Friday. I think that the 3 hours of "overlap time" in which the non-party guests and the party guests can be in the park at the same time (before the party begins) are very crowded!

However, that said, the parties are more crowded than one would expect for a hard ticket event. The last party I went to was on a Monday night and I was very surprised at the crowds.

The good news is that the lines for rides are probably the least crowded places. Most of the crowds are going to congregate in certain spots for the fireworks, the Cavalcade and the character photos. If they're not doing those things they may be in the treat trail lines, waiting for candy. The rides often have very short lines.

How are the crowds during the Halloween party (not only for Trick-or-Treating and character meet-n-greets, but for rides too)? Especially for the Friday parties early in the season. Is it more crowded than a normal Friday evening, which I know can get crowded with local AP holders dropping in.

Most of the parties sold out last year. We did one on a Friday mid October and had a blast!! The line for Jack Skellington was an hour every time I checked. I waited 30min for Captain Jack Sparrow. I don't know about the other Villains because we never made to Main Street during the party. The trick or treat lines moved very fast. The ride with the longest ride I saw was for HMH, which I thought was kinda funny cause it's the same experience during regular park hours without a huge wait.

I could be very wrong (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am), but I don't think that any SoCal schools (either in L.A. or in Orange County, around DLR) are out on any kind of break in late October. I think that most of the breaks are over a bit earlier in the month. However, anytime I think I've got it narrowed down to a week or two with no school breaks of any kind so I can answer someone's question on the subject, someone else will pop up and say "There's a break in the such-and-such school district" during that time!:rotfl2: It seems that breaks in all of the California-adjacent states (and even the non-adjacent states) factor into the crowd levels as well.

Still, though, I think that most of the big breaks that would draw lots of people from any school in any state to the parks are over by mid-October, or slightly thereafter. And, coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally!), It's a Small World goes down for its holiday overlay right after that time, like over the next to last weekend of October.

Prior to last year's Halloween Time season, there were characters in Halloween costumes out and about on Main Street at random times of the day -- Skeleton Goofy, Pumpkin Donald, etc. Jack Skellington and Sally were out for photos near Haunted Mansion Holiday. Also, the Villains had a regular photo spot in Fantasyland, and there were usually 3 Villains there at the same time. Then, at the actual Halloween party there were more characters set up in various spots around the park, some in Halloween costumes and some just in their regular gear (like Buzz Lightyear, for example). Jack Sparrow, Captain Hook and Peter Pan would be set up in front of the Rivers of America, by the Mark Twain. That sort of thing.

Before the actual Halloween party moved to Disneyland, there also used to be a Villains photo spot in DCA, in the Hollywood section of the park. This was also when DCA was involved in Halloween Time, and you'd hear themed music as you passed under the Golden Gate Bridge. Then there was Candy Corn Acres, which was really cute. Even the CALIFORNIA letters in front of DCA were candy corn-colored at one point! At that time, like in 2007-2008-2009, both parks felt as though they were part of Halloween Time. Ever since the DCA construction kicked into high gear, Halloween Time has been but a mere memory in DCA.:sad:

This year, with the new Monsters, Inc. movie on the scene, it would be great if DLR could somehow do a Monster-themed tie-in to the Halloween season in DCA, and add in some extra little decorations around the Mike and Sulley ride. I've always, always thought that they didn't do enough with the Monsters for Halloween Time anyway, but this year would be a perfect opportunity to work the Monster angle and bring Halloween back to DCA (last year's Frankenweenie stuff didn't really do the job, I don't think).

Anyway, back to my point -- as we all know, as of last year, the character dynamic changed, and the Villains suddenly became more "exclusive." The Villains photo spot was gone, so all that was left was the "meet one Villain at a time" thing at the Carnival/Round-Up, and the rest of the Villains were out in full force at the parties. Also, the costume-clad characters like Skeleton Goofy and crew were no longer on Main Street, greeting guests. There were some characters back at the Carnival in the daytime, but again, more of them were at the party. I think Jack and Sally were out at non-party times as well.

I'll be very, very interested to read your assessments of the DLR holiday season vs. WDW's grand holiday/Christmas festivities. Some WDW holiday vets have gone to DLR for the holidays and come back very disappointed because there "wasn't as much" there as what they were used to at WDW, while other WDW holiday vets have come back from DLR holiday trips and said that they loved DLR's holiday celebration and couldn't wait to go back!:rotfl2:

As for Halloween Time, I feel that there could be much more to it and many more ways Disney could build on it in different lands, if they wanted to shell out the cash. The Halloween decor is not anywhere near the level of immersion and thoroughness as the Christmas/holiday decor, but the interesting thing is that I have read some reviews of DLR's Halloween decor from WDW Halloween vets and most people seemed to agree that DLR wins in the Halloween decor department. The only thing that WDW seemed to have the clear edge on was the Boo to You parade, by most accounts. Our little mini-parade/Cavalcade is apparently a pale shadow of Boo to You, but our Halloween Screams fireworks are awesome!:thumbsup2

I can't wait to give you my feedback after we visit this December. I would think that WDW only has more decorations because it's just so big overall and has more resorts and parks to work with. But I have a hard time thinking DLR will disappoint me just based on the photos I have seen online. But then I'm pretty biased anyway. DL really is my favorite Disney park. We only do WDW more because the combo of a value resort with free dining is just too hard to pass up. It's going to cost us more to do a shorter trip at DLR this year.

I really appreciate the very thorough rundown on Halloween at DLR. I have filed all of that information away in my head as we evaluate what to do in 2014. If you could talk the powers that be into adding a mine coaster to DLR by 2014, I think I know what I would be doing! :lmao:

Interesting that they made the villains so much less available during regular park hours last year. I wonder if they are moving even closer toward a WDW model where it's nearly impossible to meet them outside the party.

And it will be interesting to see if they add more parties this year. With all of them selling out last year they'd be crazy not to. I never realized there were so FEW parties. There are 23 at WDW this year. And 2 nights a week makes it harder to do multiple parties. We always do 2, but once did 3. It sometimes takes that if you really just want to do it all in a relaxed fashion. Of course, that's easier for me to do because often it's just my daughter and me so I'm only buying 2 tickets to each party we do.

I really do hold out hope that they will continue to grow that cavalcade into a full fledged parade. The others are right. "Boo to You" really is quite awesome. That is one of the things pointing me east when we move our annual trip to Halloween time again.

I really like this issue of the AP Backstage Pass calendar/magazine -- love the cool retro mini-posters (even though my Backstage Pass got mangled and scratched in the mail).

I updated the title of this thread and the very first post on Page 1 to reflect the season dates.

When we get the exact MHP dates beyond 9/30 and the pricing info for the tickets I will update the party post on Page 1 as well.

I hope I get my first issue of the AP magazine (have to check the box later this afternoon)!!

Excited to have dates for that! I am hoping I can go sometime in the last two weeks of September to see/eat everything!

PHXscuba

I can't wait to give you my feedback after we visit this December. I would think that WDW only has more decorations because it's just so big overall and has more resorts and parks to work with. But I have a hard time thinking DLR will disappoint me just based on the photos I have seen online. But then I'm pretty biased anyway. DL really is my favorite Disney park. We only do WDW more because the combo of a value resort with free dining is just too hard to pass up. It's going to cost us more to do a shorter trip at DLR this year.

I really appreciate the very thorough rundown on Halloween at DLR. I have filed all of that information away in my head as we evaluate what to do in 2014. If you could talk the powers that be into adding a mine coaster to DLR by 2014, I think I know what I would be doing! :lmao:

Interesting that they made the villains so much less available during regular park hours last year. I wonder if they are moving even closer toward a WDW model where it's nearly impossible to meet them outside the party.

And it will be interesting to see if they add more parties this year. With all of them selling out last year they'd be crazy not to. I never realized there were so FEW parties. There are 23 at WDW this year. And 2 nights a week makes it harder to do multiple parties. We always do 2, but once did 3. It sometimes takes that if you really just want to do it all in a relaxed fashion. Of course, that's easier for me to do because often it's just my daughter and me so I'm only buying 2 tickets to each party we do.

I really do hold out hope that they will continue to grow that cavalcade into a full fledged parade. The others are right. "Boo to You" really is quite awesome. That is one of the things pointing me east when we move our annual trip to Halloween time again.

Janet -

That's what I'm here for -- thorough rundowns, analysis, commentary and info!:rotfl2: Although, I only stick to the stuff that's in my wheelhouse. If I don't know anything about a particular subject and if I don't know of anyone else who does know, I will keep quiet!:rotfl2:

You mentioned the value of WDW trips vs. DLR trips. I've heard that same sentiment many times. In fact, I recall that my friend and her family spent a full 7-day week at WDW in December a few years back, and stayed at one of the Port Orleans hotels, and it ended up being less expensive than it would have been to stay at the Grand Californian Hotel in December for one short weekend! That was shocking to me!

Yes, WDW simply has more property to cover with holiday decorations than DLR has. They've got all the fun themed hotels and they can do the really elaborate edible displays in the lobbies. Our DLR hotels, for some inexplicable reason, don't have their own elaborate displays. The GCH does put a very aromatic gingerbread house in Storytellers Cafe, and there is a smaller gingerbread house in White Water Snacks. As far as I know, that's it for the hotels' edible decor! Then, when you get into DCA you will see assorted gingerbread masterpieces in Flo's, at the Cozy Cone, in Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe (although I didn't see evidence of that one even existing), and at Carthay.

I think you'll enjoy the DLR holiday season. Even though it is done on a smaller scale than WDW out of necessity, there is a lot of holiday punch packed in to the smaller resort!

I think that's exactly what DLR was trying to accomplish during last year's Halloween Time -- they were trying to make the Villains (or at least, many Villains at the same time) more difficult to meet outside of the party, therefore enhancing the value of the party and luring more people into buying tickets. That was how I read the situation. It was a money-making endeavor.

The only problem with that kind of ploy is that Disney doesn't do "enough" with the Halloween Time celebration to afford to be able to remove anything from the roster of entertainment. So when the Villains are less prominent during the non-party time slots I would think it's more obvious, whereas if there were lots and lots and lots of Halloween things to see and do in both parks then taking away some of the access to Villains might not be noticed as much.

The Halloween parties have definitely not been too abundant. Last year DL did 11 of them, but in prior years there had been 10 parties (2 each week). The parties were an even bigger success last year than in previous years (I think it's because of the Villains and the costumed characters) so it would make sense to do more of them, but that would also mean closing Disneyland early on even more nights than they already do...which might be okay if they added some good Halloween entertainment to DCA to keep people amused! The problem is that DCA is so lacking in Halloween Time merriment that there is not a good alternative (Halloween-wise) for the folks who don't want to pay for the MHP in DL.

I think that if Disney suddenly decides to put a little Halloween back into DCA (and not just the pitiful Duffy-in-a-pumpkin costume photo spot effort) then they may very well begin to add more party nights in DL. Last year they made sure that they had some good holiday stuff going on in DCA while they were running 20 nights of the Candlelight Ceremony, to give people other options! If Disney is going to close Disneyland early for more than 10 or 11 nights, they have got to put something Halloween-ish in DCA!

I hope I get my first issue of the AP magazine (have to check the box later this afternoon)!!

Excited to have dates for that! I am hoping I can go sometime in the last two weeks of September to see/eat everything!

PHXscuba

PHX!

Welcome aboard!:banana: It's good to see you back in the Superthread (although it was a different Superthread the last time you joined in, I think).

Someone else just said in another thread that she hadn't yet received her Backstage Pass calendar/booklet either and she is a new AP holder. I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to who gets the BP and in which order?

I must say that I was stunned to see that Disney had announced the Halloween season start date, the MHP start date and the holiday season start date in the same magazine! :faint: All at the same time! That is unprecedented!:rotfl2: We all know how they take their sweet time in releasing info, and they never, ever, ever give holiday dates at the same time as Halloween dates. They usually don't even announce the Halloween season start date until after the MHP dates have been released! Is there someone new in charge of these things over there at Team Disney Anaheim, I wonder?

If Disney pays any attention to social media -- and some of their departments do exactly that -- then they would have learned by now that people want details and info early in the year!

Is your goal to try to be there on Mon., 9/30 when the MHP starts, or just be at DLR for the Halloween season, sans party? Either way, I hope you get to go!!

Did they say when tickets will go on sale yet. Want to go Sept 30...yeah

scrawny -

I haven't seen anything about that yet. The last time I checked the AP site there was no party mentioned at that point.

What usually happens is that the party tickets first go on sale to AP holders, Disney Visa members and Disney Vacation Club owners. Those tickets should likely go on sale in June (if not before the end of May). Then the tickets go on sale to the general public in July.

The party dates will probably appear on the AP site at some point, to announce the advance purchase options. Quite possibly the Parks Blog will do a blog on it as well, before the tickets go on sale.

I think we'll hear something about the ticket prices and sale dates very, very soon!

Janet -

That's what I'm here for -- thorough rundowns, analysis, commentary and info!:rotfl2: Although, I only stick to the stuff that's in my wheelhouse. If I don't know anything about a particular subject and if I don't know of anyone else who does know, I will keep quiet!:rotfl2:

You mentioned the value of WDW trips vs. DLR trips. I've heard that same sentiment many times. In fact, I recall that my friend and her family spent a full 7-day week at WDW in December a few years back, and stayed at one of the Port Orleans hotels, and it ended up being less expensive than it would have been to stay at the Grand Californian Hotel in December for one short weekend! That was shocking to me!

Yes, WDW simply has more property to cover with holiday decorations than DLR has. They've got all the fun themed hotels and they can do the really elaborate edible displays in the lobbies. Our DLR hotels, for some inexplicable reason, don't have their own elaborate displays. The GCH does put a very aromatic gingerbread house in Storytellers Cafe, and there is a smaller gingerbread house in White Water Snacks. As far as I know, that's it for the hotels' edible decor! Then, when you get into DCA you will see assorted gingerbread masterpieces in Flo's, at the Cozy Cone, in Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe (although I didn't see evidence of that one even existing), and at Carthay.

I think you'll enjoy the DLR holiday season. Even though it is done on a smaller scale than WDW out of necessity, there is a lot of holiday punch packed in to the smaller resort!

I think that's exactly what DLR was trying to accomplish during last year's Halloween Time -- they were trying to make the Villains (or at least, many Villains at the same time) more difficult to meet outside of the party, therefore enhancing the value of the party and luring more people into buying tickets. That was how I read the situation. It was a money-making endeavor.

The only problem with that kind of ploy is that Disney doesn't do "enough" with the Halloween Time celebration to afford to be able to remove anything from the roster of entertainment. So when the Villains are less prominent during the non-party time slots I would think it's more obvious, whereas if there were lots and lots and lots of Halloween things to see and do in both parks then taking away some of the access to Villains might not be noticed as much.

The Halloween parties have definitely not been too abundant. Last year DL did 11 of them, but in prior years there had been 10 parties (2 each week). The parties were an even bigger success last year than in previous years (I think it's because of the Villains and the costumed characters) so it would make sense to do more of them, but that would also mean closing Disneyland early on even more nights than they already do...which might be okay if they added some good Halloween entertainment to DCA to keep people amused! The problem is that DCA is so lacking in Halloween Time merriment that there is not a good alternative (Halloween-wise) for the folks who don't want to pay for the MHP in DL.

I think that if Disney suddenly decides to put a little Halloween back into DCA (and not just the pitiful Duffy-in-a-pumpkin costume photo spot effort) then they may very well begin to add more party nights in DL. Last year they made sure that they had some good holiday stuff going on in DCA while they were running 20 nights of the Candlelight Ceremony, to give people other options! If Disney is going to close Disneyland early for more than 10 or 11 nights, they have got to put something Halloween-ish in DCA!

PHX!

Welcome aboard!:banana: It's good to see you back in the Superthread (although it was a different Superthread the last time you joined in, I think).

Someone else just said in another thread that she hadn't yet received her Backstage Pass calendar/booklet either and she is a new AP holder. I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to who gets the BP and in which order?

I must say that I was stunned to see that Disney had announced the Halloween season start date, the MHP start date and the holiday season start date in the same magazine! :faint: All at the same time! That is unprecedented!:rotfl2: We all know how they take their sweet time in releasing info, and they never, ever, ever give holiday dates at the same time as Halloween dates. They usually don't even announce the Halloween season start date until after the MHP dates have been released! Is there someone new in charge of these things over there at Team Disney Anaheim, I wonder?

If Disney pays any attention to social media -- and some of their departments do exactly that -- then they would have learned by now that people want details and info early in the year!

Is your goal to try to be there on Mon., 9/30 when the MHP starts, or just be at DLR for the Halloween season, sans party? Either way, I hope you get to go!!

I am not sure if this helps on trying to figure out the Back Stage Pass Book.

We always receive two books on the same date of delivery. DD and I have Premium APs. purchased through a union and my husbands pass was purchased with our credit card and he has a Deluxe Pass. So our family has 2 separate accounts. So we get two calendars.

Last year it was the same case, DD and I had Premium Passes, but the hubby had a SoCal Select and we still received 2 calendars.

The Year Book for 2012 we only got one in the mail. The years before we also had a free subscription for Disney Family Mag, but I guess that is done now?

We live in Los Angeles , maybe the other area will be receiving theirs in the next few days.

:-)

AP site lists first party as Sept 10th

Sept
10, 13
17, 20
24, 27

Oct
3, 4
6, 10, 11
20, 22, 24, 25
27, 29, 31

Nov 1

How exciting!!!!!

Now I can justify going twice this year, once in September then again in October.

Let the Halloween costume planning begin :-)

Where on the AP site? I am talking about the AP section of the Disneyland Resort website. I was just on there and did not see any dates for Mickey's Halloween Party? Where are they?

The party starts on September 30, as stated in the title of this thread and in the Backstage Pass magazine. I think the dates you posted might be for MNSSHP at WDW, not the MHP at DLR.:confused3

ETA: Remember, Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort is beginning on 9/13. Would there be a party on 9/10? That doesn't make sense.

Just wondering if those are the WDW dates not DL?? It seems to match what has been advertised for there?

Yes SO SORRY :confused3

I'm used to searching WDW. This is our first family trip to DL :goodvibes

Nevermind those dates - I deleted it.

:blush:

Where on the AP site? I am talking about the AP section of the Disneyland Resort website. I was just on there and did not see any dates for Mickey's Halloween Party? Where are they?

The party starts on September 30, as stated in the title of this thread and in the Backstage Pass magazine. I think the dates you posted might be for MNSSHP at WDW, not the MHP at DLR.:confused3

I was wondering about that one day in November since our calendars show the last day as being 10/31.

I am so confused now

Pinup Mommy --

I'm glad you mentioned that magazine that came with the AP membership (Family Fun right?). I stopped getting mine too. It's not that I really wanted that magazine. I always felt it was going to waste on me, but I did notice that it had stopped coming! I wondered if anyone else was still getting it.

Yes SO SORRY :confused3

I'm used to searching WDW. This is our first family trip to DL :goodvibes

Nevermind those dates - I deleted it.

:blush:

It's okay! It was an honest mistake to mix up the two parties. I was literally just on the AP site for DLR and saw nothing, let alone so many dates, so I knew the dates you listed had to be for WDW. This is why I try to make a point of always stating what will probably happen with the dates and what has happened in the past, so that we know in advance what the realistic expectations are. I don't think DLR would have that many party dates unless DCA suddenly got some Halloween stuff too, and if there were going to be that many nights the Parks Blog would do a piece on it to get everyone excited!

DLR may add in some nights to the MHP here and there, but I don't think we'd get as many nights as WDW gets.

I was wondering about that one day in November since our calendars show the last day as being 10/31.

I am so confused now

:rotfl2:The September 10th date (before Halloween Time even begins at DLR) was what caught my attention! I don't think I even thought about the November date but you're absolutely right! A party before the season starts and after it ends!

seobaina -

Do you mean the dates for the Halloween Time season in general, or for the specific Halloween Party? It's not unusual to not know dates at this point. Sadly, DLR takes its sweet time in releasing info.

I mentioned on the previous page that we should probably hear something about the party dates very soon (like maybe even by the end of this month or in early June). The party dates will most likely pop up on the Annual Pass site (because the tickets will go on sale to AP holders, DVC owners and Disney Visa members first, before they go on sale to the general public).

If there are going to be any brand new developments in the Halloween season then the Parks Blog may do a Blog on it soon, or there could be a press release on Disneyland News -- that is IF there is anything happening that is out of the ordinary and noteworthy enough to mention early.

The Halloween Time season in general will start somewhere between 9/13 and 9/20. There is a Villains event on 9/13, which is part of the whole Limited Time Magic promo taking place this year, but I don't know if that will be the official kick-off of the Halloween season or a separate thing. If 9/13 is not the official season start date, then it will probably begin on 9/16 or 9/20.

The Halloween party will most likely start on Friday, 9/27 (with a possibility of Friday, October 4th), and will probably take place on every Tuesday and Friday throughout October. There may be a possible Monday thrown in there to replace one of the Tuesdays. There will also be a party on Halloween night (which is a Thursday). There should be a total of 10 or 11 parties for the whole season, although last year's parties sold out faster than usual -- and all of the parties sold out, which was not always the case in the past -- so maybe Disney will add in an extra night?

I was meaning for MNSSHP but thank you for all the info. I'm hoping it starts friday 27th sept cause otherwise we'll miss it. I assumed it started earlier, like wdw :(

I just received my AP calendar today.... Halloween decorations will be up Friday, September 13, and it looks like they will be open 13 hours and have a special event with Disney villains, dance party and limited edition collectibles.

The dates for MNSSHP are not listed, but the start date is listed as September 30th.....

Argh, that would suck if so cause we fly back on oct 1st from San Fran :( Hoping for a week earlier. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter