Halloween Trip - WDW or DL?

Which is "better" - WDW or DL at Halloween time? Both have MNSSHP, right? Any differences? I seem to recall reading somewhere that HM at DL transforms, but HM at WDW does not. Also, do the two parks have different fireworks shows?

Anyone been to both parks at halloween time?

I have been to both DL and WDW for Halloween time.

Both parks decorate for the holidays.

DL does do a Halloween party where you can trick or treat and gets lots of candy. It does not have a parade. But, it does have a fireworks show, but it is not as good as the one in WDW, imo. The HM is transformed into The Nightmare Before Christmas for the Halloween season through New Years.

WDW does the Halloween party with a parade where the Headless Horseman starts the parade. The fireworks show is awesome and not to be missed. There is also trick or treating and character greetings.

Both parks have special baked goods in their bakeries too.

We had fun at both parties and would do either again.

We did MNSSHP in WDW in 2001 and Disneyland's MNSSHP last year. We enjoyed both, but they are different. The short lines for rides and the trick or treat is the same. DL does not have any shows like WDW Castle and TL Galaxy stage. We did not get to see the "dance/DJ" zones as it was raining like crazy on our day and they could not perform in standing water. Only Disneyland's Magic Kingdom was decorated last year due to the construction in DCA. DL does not have a parade, but a Cavalcade of Characters similar to the Family Funday Parade WDW had. Haunted Mansion has Jack Skellington overlay which is great. Big Thunder Ranch has the most AMAZING pumpkin carvers which imho should not be overlooked. Go over to the Disneyland forum and you will find Halloween Superthread which is indexed in first post. DL does not have a "Halloween" firework display like Hallowishes, but it was spectacular. The did the 50th Anniversary minus the Julie Andrew's intro. Spoiler alert:

They are able to have both Tinkerbelle and Zero fly back and forth over the castle, not just down a zipline. The have globes that have Jack and Oogie Boogie speaking to you.

I'm a DLR AP holder and I was also at WDW during Halloween Time last year (I didn't go to any of the parties however).

It seems to me that Disneyland gets way more treatment than MK. Both have pumpkins and decorations up, but none of the rides at MK were really dressed up. At DL, you get the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on the Haunted Mansion and also Ghost Galaxy on Space Mountain which makes both rides completely different than they are the rest of the year. This brings in a lot of locals (they advertise it quite heavily) and it gets pretty crowded (I was there on a Saturday and it was like a Saturday in July).

I don't care for fireworks or parades, so I don't know if they do anything special at DL.

I have to go with DL for Halloween. We did this last Halloweeen and absolutely loved it. The makeovers for SM and HM are excellent. The off season crowds were excellent. I can't speak for the fireworks as my kids don't like them, but the trick or treating around the resorts and costume parade was outstanding.

We've done WDW for the MNSSHP before and what not, but that is really the only Halloween specific thing they do. Halloween is all over DLR - not just the party. Soooo much fun!

Halloween Time at DL is fantastic!! In town square there is a giant mickey head pumpkin, fall colors/flowers everywhere. the mickey flower bed when you first come into the gates has a mask over his eyes. "carved" pumpkins all along main street and at the hub. They used to let the characters out in costumes during non-party times, but i'm not sure that is still the case. They have real pumpkins carved in Frontierland round up area done by pro-carvers (super cool). They have fog around ROA and the sailing ship Columbia (think pirate) has an ominous glow to it. Durning the party is the only time anyone can get pictures with Cp. Jack Sparrow (Disney had to put him away cause the female guests were getting too grabby). The weather is (usually) great - low to mid 70's no humidity. There is always a random rain storm in October and the odd ball hot day, but for the most part very good weather. But now that I think about it, I don't ever think it has rained on Halloween night

I have to jump in on this, only because I just experienced it....I just did DL for the first time in October and was SO excited for the halloween party, I was expecting it to blow WDW out of the water. I have to say, as much as I love DL, WDW Halloween kills DL's. The parks are similarly decorated. The parade wasn't nearly as good and the park was ridiculously crowded--we (myself and my bff, both mid 20's females) went on 2 rides, we couldn't enjoy ourselves and it wasn't even that close to Halloween..I didn't see any characters. The fireworks were great (similar to WDW but they have a flying Zero and is hosted by Jack which is awesome) and SM Ghost Galay was pretty cool but would I go again that time of year? Probably not, only for HMH, probably wouldn't do the halloween party again. Maybe I had a not so pleasant experience because it wasn't at DCA, I'm not sure. WDW however...there's the food and wine fest at the same time, which I think by itself is enough of a reason to go to WDW in the fall. October for me is my favorite time to do WDW for those two reasons.

(Disclaimer: I am not one of those "WDW is better than DL" people and I'm sorry if I offended anybody:hug:)

I have to jump in on this, only because I just experienced it....I just did DL for the first time in October and was SO excited for the halloween party, I was expecting it to blow WDW out of the water. I have to say, as much as I love DL, WDW Halloween kills DL's. The parks are similarly decorated. The parade wasn't nearly as good and the park was ridiculously crowded--we (myself and my bff, both mid 20's females) went on 2 rides, we couldn't enjoy ourselves and it wasn't even that close to Halloween..I didn't see any characters. The fireworks were great (similar to WDW but they have a flying Zero and is hosted by Jack which is awesome) and SM Ghost Galay was pretty cool but would I go again that time of year? Probably not, only for HMH, probably wouldn't do the halloween party again. Maybe I had a not so pleasant experience because it wasn't at DCA, I'm not sure. WDW however...there's the food and wine fest at the same time, which I think by itself is enough of a reason to go to WDW in the fall. October for me is my favorite time to do WDW for those two reasons.

(Disclaimer: I am not one of those "WDW is better than DL" people and I'm sorry if I offended anybody:hug:)

I'm the BFF...everything is true, but The candy in DL far surpasses WDW! Lol I went to both halloween parties that Halloween!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter