Halloween trip vs. Christmas trip??

Queen_freckles

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip for this year and trying to decide if we should go during Halloween time or Christmas time. Does anyone know how early they put up the Christmas decorations(approximately when)?? I know the actual dates of the parties aren't announced until later in the year, but I am just trying to find out when the decorations might go up!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi!
We went last year in late September and everything was decorated for Fall and the MNSSHP was going on then. We didn't attend figuring our kids wouldn't completely appreciate it then (they were only 3 mos, 2 and 4 at the time) but went this year in early December and attended MVMCP with the boys. It was SO magical and SO amazing!!! I highly recommend the Christmas season...and suggest to attend the party....if you think it's magical during the day, wait until the party night, no one can explain how beautiful it is and how magical when it's snowing on Main street!!:lovestruc Good luck with your decision...I think either choice is great...afterall, you're going to DISNEY! :goodvibes

I have not been during the Christmas season, but after all the crowd reports this year, I doubt if I ever will. We were there in Mid-Oct 2007. The MNSSHP was going on at that time, and the crowds were totally manageable. I also heard the Headless Horseman is in the parade -- so cool! I would pick Halloween, but earlier in Dec would probably work, too.

Have fun planning!!! ;)

We went the second week of October last year, and the second week of December in 2007. I definitely enjoyed December and MVMCP better. I LOVE Christmas time - especially at WDW. The decorations are absolutely stunning, and all the parks have some type of holiday decor up. There's nothing like seeing it "snow" on Main Street, and the Osborne Spectacle of Lights is AMAZING!!! I absolutely love going at Christmas time.

I loved trick-or-treating at MK during MNSSHP and the "Boo to You" parade is great. But, the decorations at MK were just okay, and I don't recall seeing any other Halloween decor at any of the other parks. There were also a lot of people, but our stay did include Columbus Day weekend. The good thing about this time of year, you can experience the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. That was pretty neat, but I don't recommend going on a weekend.

Because of the time we went in October, the crowds were much better in December. The longest we had to wait was about 20 minutes for RnR.

I have been in October 2006. It was great weather and the crowds were not horrible. I just booked for December 2009. We are going to brave the crowds. I have always wanted to see the Osborne Lights and CP. I think going at Xmas is a must do once in a life time.

:surfweb: I have been during both times but IF I had to pick a favorite it would be early December. We usually go the first week of December and don't find the crowds bad at all. The difference is simply the decorations and Christmas lights at Hollywood studios. Plus squeeze in a visit to a couple other reorts (Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom Lodge are must's!) to look at those decorations - and by some gingerbread cookies from the Gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian lobby!

This year the Christmas decorations at MK were up in time for the first MVMCP on 11/10 (all except the big tree, which went up 12/8 after the ABC parade taping) Other decorations around the other parks/resorts at varying rates throughout November, with everything being in place, and all the other holiday festivities (Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights, etc.) officially kicking off the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I just read here that the Candlelight Processional for 2009 starts 11/27, so sounds like the same schedule will likely apply for this year too, although MVMCP schedule for 2009 hasn't been announced yet (at least I haven't found it anywhere)

We went at Christmas time (12/14 - 12/22) this past year and it was sooooo crowded. the Osbourne lites were fabulous but I was disappointed but the overall decorations. There were beautiful decorations but it wasn't nearly as decorated as I thought or expected it to be. I thought I would walk around compeltely in awe and the only time I did that was the Osbourne Festival of Lights. Everything was so crowded it was hard to enjoy alot of it. I'd try Halloween if thats a slower time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter