Halloween decorations??

Oh no- why did I read this?! Were off on thurs having been persuaded by pics and videos of previous years to go at Halloween- sure well have a great time and will try not to be disappointed!

At least were two adults - wouldn't like to take a kid expecting pumpkin men!

Smallpig, sure you will still have a great time. We came back on Sunday and we had a great time. We had never been at Halloween before but I had been looking forward to the excess of the pumpkin men but knew before we went that was not to be. I think wandering round the park at a lot of places you could not tell it was Halloween but I did like what was there.

The characters were really good, jack skellington and malificent especially and the Halloween party was nice. I enjoyed meeting the villains, the two shows we watched, the quietness of the rides and thunder mountain in the dark.

I agree Halloween no longer seems to be the big deal it was before but I was still good.

Wendy x

Thanks Vala for all the info
My plan has been to do all seasons, we did Christmas last year and loved the theming and was so looking forward to seeing halloween after looking on youtube and other sites, but now i have the feeling i am going to be disapointed especailly as i know how halloween used to be :confused3. Sounds like my decorations at home are better themed :lmao:.
As my dh is not coming on this trip he said he wanted to do Halloween next year but if it stays like this I think we may give it a miss and do Christmas again. Im sure I will still love my trip especially as this is my first time staying in the DLH.

The characters were really good, jack skellington and malificent especially and the Halloween party was nice. I enjoyed meeting the villains, the two shows we watched, the quietness of the rides and thunder mountain in the dark.

I agree Halloween no longer seems to be the big deal it was before but I was still good.

Wendy x

thanks :goodvibes cheered up by this! Really looking forward to btm in the dark! Also means we get a few hours more on Friday instead of going home at 7!

Hello, everyone. This is my first post on the DLP boards, but I was so ticked off by what I experienced tonight, a so-called "Halloween" party, that I had to do some research on the boards to see if anyone else was upset with DLP's MNSSHP.

First, a bit of background about me and what I expected from tonight. I am a WDW cm and have been with the Company since 1998. While I am seasonal now and am attending law school in southern California (DL passholder), I used to work full-time at the Magic Kingdom, where I worked plenty of WDW's MNSSHPs. I remember distinctly one time back in 2003 or 2004 when my manager showed me some photos from DLP's Halloween decorations of the time, including a large Grim Reaper pulling the Mark Twain or Molly Brown (not sure which one). I knew then that I would someday see DLP during Halloween.

Flash forward to now, I am studying international law in London for the fall semester and became a DLP passholder. This week is our mid-term break, so I spent a few days at DLP to finally realize my dream of seeing a DLP Halloween. When I stepped into the park on Wednesday, I was a bit disappointed by the sparse decorations. Sure, there were pumpkins in Town Square, Central Plaza, and the Royal Castle Stage. But, I could not believe that that was it! I did not know that this year was a change from previous years, and I am especially shocked that supposedly DLP was seeking inspiration from DL. When I am studying back in California, I go to DL about once a week, especially during HalloweenTime and the Christmas season. DL has pumpkins out the wazoo all over Main Street. DL's Frontierland is also heavily decorated. I saw nothing at all reminiscent of DL in DLP.

But, I told myself it would be different during the MNSSHP. I mean, surely DLP would put on a good hard-ticket event like the stateside parks, right? What I discovered were a couple of lame shows, such as Huey, Duey, and Louie teaching some witch the chicken dance, and no new decor beyond a couple of "fog" machines (more like heavy-duty misters, and on a really cold night!). Also, I got absolutely no candy all night long, except for the package of Haribo gummies I bought from the vending machine at the RER station while feeling sorry for myself! Unlike the numerous treat stations that are a huge part of the stateside versions of MNSSHP, the only candy at DLP was given out either after a show or at a character meet location. At the shows, the dancers handing out the candy ran out very quickly, leaving 90% of the audience empty-handed. As for the character handlers with the candy at the meet locations, they seemed to only want to give candy to children, for they passed over me all four times I held out my hand. It was after the fourth time that I gave up and left the park, realizing that I had done all of the attractions I cared to do (it was my third of four days, and I had been in the park since the morning) and that the party had nothing left to offer me.

Whoever is in charge of DLP's MNSSHP must go attend one at WDW to see what a good party looks like, complete with parade, headless horseman, fireworks, treat stations, dance parties, and character trails. Then, they can talk with some of us who also remember the days when palm readers, snake charmers, fire-eaters, and other sideshow performers appeared throughout the park. And, whoever is in charge of DLP's Halloween decorations needs to actually go to DL and get some real inspiration. Or, DLP could simply go back to what it used to do, for those pictures I remember looked amazing. Sure hope I am not similarly disappointed when I return in a few weeks for a DLP Christmas.

Whoever is in charge of DLP's MNSSHP must go attend one at WDW to see what a good party looks like, complete with parade, headless horseman, fireworks, treat stations, dance parties, and character trails. Then, they can talk with some of us who also remember the days when palm readers, snake charmers, fire-eaters, and other sideshow performers appeared throughout the park. And, whoever is in charge of DLP's Halloween decorations needs to actually go to DL and get some real inspiration. Or, DLP could simply go back to what it used to do, for those pictures I remember looked amazing. Sure hope I am not similarly disappointed when I return in a few weeks for a DLP Christmas.

Excellent post :thumbsup2

Great to have an 'independent' perspective on this topic. I've been to DLP for Halloween a couple of times in recent years, and felt it was lacking....but nothing compares to the pictures I've seen this year :confused3

What you've described above is exactly what I want for Halloween....c'mon DLP, get your act together!!!

We're also going in December, so hoping that what they've saved over Halloween will be chanelled into the Christmas decorations this year.

We just got back from dlp, after many trips here this is honestly the first time I have been very dissapointed, I have seen many TR and videos on youtube etc from previous years and I was so excited to see Halloween and frontierland turned into Halloweenland... But all I found was a few pumpkins stuck around :confused3. I went last year for Christmas season and the park was stunning and beautiful. None of the shop windows had displays like they do for christmas and all they had inside was a tiny section for halloween :confused3. They had more items for christmas out then they did for halloween I was hoping to get a few bits but I found nothing I wanted to buy. I'm so glad i did not do the MNSSHP as all i saw extra go up was a couple of flags on the castle. :sad2:
I will not be making anymore trips during halloween I will wait for christmas unless they decide to scale that down. I really hope notas it is really magical. I am going to be writtting to Disney to let them know of my thoughts.

I am going to be writtting to Disney to let them know of my thoughts.

I too was extremely disappointed, in fact disappointed is a bit of an understatement.:sad1:
I have sent an email to DLP expressing my feelings but as of yet i have not had any reply. It's been over 2 weeks now, so i think tomorrow i will put pen to paper and write them a letter too.

Does anyone have the address in France to send it too please?

Maybe I experienced something different to everybody else. I liked the new decorations they gave the park a real Autumn feel and didn't look as tacky as some of the decorations used last year.

Did miss the pumpkin people but got over that in like a hour. MNNSHP was a bit overated but we still had fun. I thought the smoke part was really scary by Frontierland lol.

Personally it was one of the best trips we ever had, and looking forward to next year.

Can I just add the reason there was no Halloween float in the parade is due to the fact it is badly damaged and was not safe to use.

dlp-halloween-2003a.jpg

Awesome :thumbsup2

Some more info here: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID507670.asp

Maybe I experienced something different to everybody else. I liked the new decorations they gave the park a real Autumn feel and didn't look as tacky as some of the decorations used last year.

I have no problem with making the whole thing more "autumn season". But then they need to stop advertising Halloween as a special season. In my eyes the whole thing was lacking even for autumn. But Halloween it was most definitely not.

@ LudwigVB: :thumbsup2 Couldn't agree more.

It was seeing that photo that persuaded us to go for Halloween. We went in 2007 and had an awesome time. I absolutely loved the whole idea of how the pumpkin men evolved.

If I was there now I'm sure I'd enjoy myself but I know I'd be sorely disappointed. From my computer screen it looks to me like Halloween at DLP is just now a very inferior imitation of what's on offer at the US parks.

Nothing I've read or seen online encourages me to want to visit DLP for Halloween again which is such a shame as I loved DLP's pumpkin men story

45513184_600_x_450_.jpg

45513035_600_x_450_.jpg

and especially the fact that it was UNIQUE.

:sad2:

I have no problem with making the whole thing more "autumn season". But then they need to stop advertising Halloween as a special season. In my eyes the whole thing was lacking even for autumn. But Halloween it was most definitely not.

May not of felt Halloween to you but to me and my Daughter it did. Like I said maybe I'm in the minority but we had a fantastic Halloween trip.

Decorations don't really make or break my trips.

Decorations don't really make or break my trips.

I don't recall anybody saying that.

Yes, the decorations do not make or break a trip. But they are important to a lot of people as seen from the latest posts of visitors returning.

Pretty much everyone who has returned lately the lack of decorations as a low or said they were disappointed, and a lot of visitors on different forums have even said they will not be back for "Halloween Time" anymore.

In the end I personally did take my visit as a nice trip (I got most stuff I wanted, so it was not a total loss), but I did not get what I came for: Halloween Time.

The athmosphere of Halloween for me (and it seems to others too) is what you describe as "tacky". Bright, screaming decorations, pumpkin men, Frontierland becoming Halloweenland, scary set ups for the party etc.

My friends from the US described the pictures they saw from the last year as "going all out." This year? Two of them actually asked me if I had uploaded the wrong photos by accident. :headache:

I am glad you personally liked it. But it can't be in the best interest of the park to scare visitors off during a period that seems to be considered off season for the most part. And the lack of decorations and athmosphere definitely seems to help doing hat.

I was there on Friday and it was really naff.

Yes it was tasteful Autumn but not Hallowee'en and that's what it's supposed to be

Last year was so cool and original and even if you didn't like the Pumpkin people it didn't matter as there was so many other visuals going on.

There was also very little atmosphere anywhere. Hope Christmas is better

When I get my new pc and acess back to my photos I'll put some up in my other thread ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter