Halloween at Universal...too scary for littles?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
Hi all. We are planning a very last-minute trip to WDW for MNSSHP. We've spent the last 4 Halloweens at Disney Parks and our kids are accustomed to a very tame, fun Halloween atmosphere.

Since we are just going for the party, we are thinking about not getting park tix this time and hopping over to Universal for WWHP, since we never have much time during our regular WDW trips.

I am concerned (esp w/Halloween Horror Nights) that Universal might be too scary for two of our kids on Halloween night. We were thinking of hitting WWHP for Hallween. Also, do people dress up in the parks on Halloween at Universal? My kids will want to wear their costumes.

Thanks

VP

Do you mean take them to HHN itself??

Then definitely no......it's not for kids in any way shape or form. They recommend no children under 13.

Sadly we've seen loads of kids in tears over the years at the event.

You are also not allowed to wear any costumes or masks.

If you mean to take them to Universal Studios during the day before the event starts you won't see anything scary........most of it except for large items are covered.

No I don't think HHN is for children. No they will not be allowed to wear costumes to HHN.

Stick with Disney as far as Halloween party where kids are concerned. I'm well out of childhood but I wouldn't go to HHN. Too scary for me.

If you want to do WWHP, I would go in the daytime. It looks like Harry Potter section not even open for HHN anyway.

Oh no, I didn't mean taking them to HHN. Sorry, I should have said Halloween *day.* We're doing MNSSHP earlier in the week (Halloween night sold out) so we were thinking we'd go to WWHP for Halloween. What time does the park close for the party?

Oh no, I didn't mean taking them to HHN. Sorry, I should have said Halloween *day.* We're doing MNSSHP earlier in the week (Halloween night sold out) so we were thinking we'd go to WWHP for Halloween. What time does the park close for the party?

It looks like Universal Studios closes at 5:00 so you can go in the daytime. I believe the IOA closes later so you can do that section later in the day.

Lol.......I wasn't sure when I read that.......

You will have to leave the park at 5pm.....place is cleared in preparation for HHN. Ioa is open later though if you had a two park ticket.........:thumbsup2

If you want to go to the park on Halloween day before the party. No it won't be scary at all. Most of the sets are covered or tucked away. I was able to walk around during the day prior to HHN and didn't see much of the event that was scary that was out. There some souvenirs for HHN around but the scaractors are not out and there's nothing too scary.

In fact I would make a Point to go to Knockturn alley on Halloween. It's more spooky than scary. One of my favorite sections at Diagon Alley.

Last edited:
Yes, Universal will be safe for the little ones on an HHN day. Like others have said, all the scary stuff is covered, or isn't put out at all until after closing time.

go early on that friday and you will get more done in the parks before crowds.
all large hhn props are tarp covered and the littles won't see them.
in one section of the park by central park area, small pumpkins are usually hanging in the trees there.
nothing scary about that.

the studios closes at 5:00 and if there are crowds that day, being a work day, probably wouldn't start until after 3:00.
peeps that are there for the hhn want to be in the park before it closes to hit a few rides before heading to a holding section.

if you also hit IOA, you won't see any covered props for HHN.
this park will close at 7:00 or 8:00 that night.

go and have fun at the darkside that date.

The video from TimTracker last year give you a good idea of the types of things you'll see during the day during HHN. Every year is different but so it won't be these identical things. But you can see how everything that could be considered gory is gone or covered during the day. In the video he was specifically looking for HHN decoration a couple days before the event started.

The video from TimTracker last year give you a good idea of the types of things you'll see during the day during HHN. Every year is different but so it won't be these identical things. But you can see how everything that could be considered gory is gone or covered during the day. In the video he was specifically looking for HHN decoration a couple days before the event started.

That's who that guy is!!!

Someone asked me about him weeks ago and I said I had never heard of him..........

I think I must be the only one as I just googled him..........he's quite well known......lol........

Nice video :thumbsup2

That's who that guy is!!!

Someone asked me about him weeks ago and I said I had never heard of him..........

I think I must be the only one as I just googled him..........he's quite well known......lol........

Nice video :thumbsup2

I found him a few months ago when I was searching for some Universal video. He and his wife Jenn post a video most every day chronicling their lives. Living in Orlando they frequently post theme park videos from Universal and Disney. Right now, they don't happen to have Sea World/Busch Gardens passes. Although last year they went to Howl-O-Scream and Christmas Town Busch Gardens.

Freakin' love Tim Tracker vids! Him and Jenn are the best. They're practically like my daily fix for Uni until our vacay. And throughout his videos its apparent that he pays attention to rumors, construction and all up to date info. There's even some info. that he'll mentioned that may not be anywhere on the boards yet. Idk how he does it, but the vids are very informative.

Yes, Universal will be safe for the little ones on an HHN day. Like others have said, all the scary stuff is covered, or isn't put out at all until after closing time.

This is the sort of thing we have seen out during normal hours:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter