• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Halloween at DL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ikristin...I was going to call and ask if I can combine the GAD and the ParkHopper to upgrade to an AP.

I was thinking of using the GAD on Friday Oct 1 for DCA from 10-4 then go change in the hotel room, head over to DL for TOTP.

You don;t have to exit the park and go wait in line for TOTP?

Please keep us informed. I would like to do the same thing so I would love to know what they tell you.popcorn:: Thanks for the reply to my other question.:flower3:

Thanks ikristin...I was going to call and ask if I can combine the GAD and the ParkHopper to upgrade to an AP.

I was thinking of using the GAD on Friday Oct 1 for DCA from 10-4 then go change in the hotel room, head over to DL for TOTP.

You don't have to exit the park and go wait in line for TOTP?

No problem..I forgot to mention that I have found they release the AP discount code in August for DLR discounted rooms.
I usually book my room and then call back and apply the AP rate discount.

I asked about the new AP rate yesterday and the CM said he wasn't sure if they would be doing it this year. But it seems they have it every year..so...?

I booked the room at $266 with a senior citizen discount (yay mom thanks for turning 60 last year!). That's about what the AP rate was 2 years ago.

I know that that christmas season doesn't start until november but will they start putting out their christmas ornaments during the halloween season? I was just there a little over a week ago and they were really hard to find.
Tricia

Tjcrabb - you mean ornaments sold in-store? I have seen some on sale in certain sections of DL stores during HalloweenTime, but it's not the variety that you would get if it were closer to Christmastime. We saw a small little section in the China Closet, for example, but there may be more in other stores.

I called DLR today to book a room at GCH and I talked to the CM about TOTP being sold out. We're going Oct 1 so he said it shouldn't be a problem since it gets busier as Halloween approaches and it rarely sells out for the first event. I asked if switching to DL and the Fireworks show might influence that, he didn't seem to know.

He told me guests will be admitted in the park at 4pm but now here's my dilemma:
I have GAD vouchers for 1 park and 2 day park hoppers I won on the radio yesterday :dance3:

I'm wondering if I should use my GAD for DCA 10-4pm and then go to DL or just not even go in the parks until 4pm that day.

Joeysmommy-

Guests will be admitted to the MHP at 4 p.m. only on Fridays and Halloween. On Tuesdays, guests are admitted at 3 p.m.

The TOTP (when it was still called the TOTP) was definitely sold out for the first night in 2008, when we went. That's why I was so relieved that a DIS-er here had to get rid of her tickets for that night because she couldn't attend. I had already checked and the first night was most definitely sold out (though they usually keep a reserve of tickets that they sell on the day of the actual event), and my only option was to get much more expensive tickets on the night of the event. But they were sold out otherwise.

Now, that was just my experience from one year, in 2008. It may not be the norm, but it happened. It may not be what happens this year with Mickey's Halloween Party (MHP), but I wouldn't necessarily count on the first night not selling out. Especially because it will be held in DL this year, it may hold more appeal to people...but there also may be many more tickets available, so the chances of selling out would be less. In any case, it's up in the air.

Quick question....when do the AP rates usally come out for October? My mom really wants us to stay on property and I'm thinking about buying a AP just for the (possible) 40% off ?!? Do you think that's crazy? What kind of deals have there been in the past? Thanks for the help! :goodvibes

MelXThree-

Last year, the AP rates for October did not get released until September (not the regular AP discount off of the rack rates, but the actual "AP9" or whatever they were called)!! I remember this vividly because a bunch of us on the DIS were waiting and waiting and waiting for the October hotel rates to go down, and it seemed like DLR waited until the last minute before finally releasing them. Basically, they want to see how many folks will book rooms at the regular rack rates before they release the highly discounted rooms. I am not sure what will happen this year, but in 2009, the AP rates for October definitely did not come out until September.

Sherry, I also remember the AP rates being, really, really late last year. You were checking the rates for me (thanks again) so I could justify getting an AP and nothing special was coming up for so long that I finally gave up!

I did end up getting a different deal that worked out pretty well for us, but I totally agree that DLR makes us crazy with waiting so long to release things (the OCD part of me likes WDW's plan-way-ahead details).

I guess that's the beauty of refundable deposits and knowing your cancellation policies. I remember quite a few people last year had "backup" reservations off-site in case the prices didn't drop for the DLR hotels.

PHXscuba

Sherry, I also remember the AP rates being, really, really late last year. You were checking the rates for me (thanks again) so I could justify getting an AP and nothing special was coming up for so long that I finally gave up!

I did end up getting a different deal that worked out pretty well for us, but I totally agree that DLR makes us crazy with waiting so long to release things (the OCD part of me likes WDW's plan-way-ahead details).

I guess that's the beauty of refundable deposits and knowing your cancellation policies. I remember quite a few people last year had "backup" reservations off-site in case the prices didn't drop for the DLR hotels.

PHXscuba

Absolutely! I remember you as being part of the group of us who were eagerly awaiting those darn October AP rates last year!! I was stalking that DLR AP hotel calendar for a long time.:rotfl2: Finally, they took soooooo long to put them up that I finally gave up - I assumed they were not going to release any AP rates at all for that month. And then someone else posted on the DIS that the rates were finally in, and it was in September!! It seems like they waited a realllly long time last year, more so than usual. I think HalloweenTime business really took off in 2008, and DLR was not expecting it. So in 2009, they figured that it was such a big hit that people might be likely to book at the regular rack rate, and they waited to see how many bookings they could get before releasing the October rates to us. It was madness! Also, all those 5 for 3 deals ended in the last week of September last year, so I guess they didn't want too many discounts happening at one time!!

So we are going 9 - 15 and want to try to get 2 days at a DLR hotel if I can get a great rate (need 2 rooms, family of 8). I now have reservations at HOJO with the entertainment rate so I will only move if we get a good deal. We are going to upgrade our hoppers to AP when we are there so we can get that discount. Is the AP9 the 40% discount? So do I make the reservation now and when the rate goes down I call and change it? If it doesn't I can cancel without a fee?

I know that that christmas season doesn't start until november but will they start putting out their christmas ornaments during the halloween season? I was just there a little over a week ago and they were really hard to find.
Tricia

I don't know when they come out exactly, but I took these pictures on a visit on 11/7/2009.

HTH,
Dreams

So we are going 9 - 15 and want to try to get 2 days at a DLR hotel if I can get a great rate (need 2 rooms, family of 8). I now have reservations at HOJO with the entertainment rate so I will only move if we get a good deal. We are going to upgrade our hoppers to AP when we are there so we can get that discount. Is the AP9 the 40% discount? So do I make the reservation now and when the rate goes down I call and change it? If it doesn't I can cancel without a fee?

Mom4princesses -

I forget how much of a savings, percentage-wise, the AP9 offers when they have those rates available (it may be AP10 by now - but it's always a code like that, with 'AP' at the front and a number following it), but it can bring a standard room rate down per night to something like $139 per night for PPH (depending on the day of the week and the time of year). Last year, the stupid PPH nightly rate for October was showing on the AP hotel calendar as $221 for the longest time. I knew that was not the actual AP rate, as the PPH always drops down well below $200 with AP9/AP8 (or whatever rates). The $221 they were showing last year was simply the regular rack rate available to everyone minus an AP discount of 10%. They didn't finally get around to releasing the "real" AP rates for October until September, and then PPH dropped down to rates like $179/$159/$149 - that kind of thing.

Most likely, the Entertainment Rate that you got for HoJo's will still be lower than any AP rate that comes out for the DLR hotels. However, in a few rare instances, I have heard of people switching over to a DLR hotel because the HoJo's rate for that same time period was not much cheaper. Usually, HoJo's is much cheaper, though. So it would depend on how much you wanted to stay onsite at a DLR hotel, I suppose.

If you wait until Disney releases the real AP rates (not the ones currently shown on the AP hotel calendar for September), it may not leave you much time to book the room and get it all planned. If you are prepared to do a switcheroo with not much time before your trip, you may have to do it that way if they don't release the real AP rates for a while.

If you make a room-only reservation on the Central Reservations number at DLR (don't get a package of any kind), they will only require you to put down a one-nght's deposit (plus 15% tax). If you cancel up to 5 days prior to your check-in date, you will get a full refund. No penalties or fees. If you cancel inside of the 5 days, there will be a partial refund. So in order to hold a room you'd have to pay the one-night deposit, and then when the AP rate came out, you could call and have them adjust your hotel rate to reflect that price (and then cancel HoJo's). I've done that before - I've switched rates, I've switched hotels, I've switched dates - and they are usualy quite accommodating as long as it's Room-Only. If it's a package, there are all kinds of fees and penalities for canceling.

Thanks Sherry E.:goodvibes We are going to stay at the HOJO and I do have the ET rate for all dates but the 9th so yes that would be way cheaper. But my girls have never stayed at a DLR hotel and would love it. DH told them after the last trip, how about we do one big trip next year (now this year) and we can stay at the Disney hotel. I gave him the look and he said what? I knew he had no idea what he was getting himself into and the girls where all for it. So I get onto the computer to figure out the price and we can stay at the HOJO for 2 1/2 weeks for the same price at one at a Disney hotel.:scared1: So I thought as a nice surprise we could do our last 2 days of 7 at a Disney hotel.:confused3 Just can't decide if the money is worth it or not. At this point the kids (me and DH included) don't know what we are missing, so will this just make it worse. Its just something I'm thinking about.

Historically are there discounts for the GP during October? I was encouraged when I saw the summer discount, but reading about last year's AP rates has me thinking we might not see any GP room discounts for October.

What do you guys thinK? Book now or wait and see what if any discounts may be available for the end of October?

MelXThree-

Last year, the AP rates for October did not get released until September (not the regular AP discount off of the rack rates, but the actual "AP9" or whatever they were called)!! I remember this vividly because a bunch of us on the DIS were waiting and waiting and waiting for the October hotel rates to go down, and it seemed like DLR waited until the last minute before finally releasing them. Basically, they want to see how many folks will book rooms at the regular rack rates before they release the highly discounted rooms. I am not sure what will happen this year, but in 2009, the AP rates for October definitely did not come out until September.

Thanks for the response :goodvibes I am shocked :scared1: the the AP rates come out so late :confused3 I guess I'll just have to hold tight to makes my plans but it's hard :laughing: I have the Courtyard Anaheim booked (they have nice kids suites) so I guess if I want to switch last minute I can.

I am still undecided on the MHP :confused3 I also wanted the Fantasmic package because my mom can't stand for long periods of time but I can't afford both....actually I can;t afford either :laughing: but I'm not sure which one to do?

I've been reading this thread since it was originally posted and have learned SO much from all of you...thank you!!!

I have a quick question for those of you who have recently signed up for the Disney debit through Chase.
- How long did it take you to get your debit card?
- Were you able to call and purchase the MHP tickets with the card (if that was in your Disney debit plans :)) or does it truly have to be a Disney Visa?

Thanks Sherry E.:goodvibes We are going to stay at the HOJO and I do have the ET rate for all dates but the 9th so yes that would be way cheaper. But my girls have never stayed at a DLR hotel and would love it. DH told them after the last trip, how about we do one big trip next year (now this year) and we can stay at the Disney hotel. I gave him the look and he said what? I knew he had no idea what he was getting himself into and the girls where all for it. So I get onto the computer to figure out the price and we can stay at the HOJO for 2 1/2 weeks for the same price at one at a Disney hotel.:scared1: So I thought as a nice surprise we could do our last 2 days of 7 at a Disney hotel.:confused3 Just can't decide if the money is worth it or not. At this point the kids (me and DH included) don't know what we are missing, so will this just make it worse. Its just something I'm thinking about.

Mom4princesses -

You made a good point about not knowing what you're missing yet. I can't explain it but, for me, staying onsite just enhances my overall DLR experience so much. I like to be immersed in the Disney magic in all aspects of my trip. It is so worth it when I stay onsite, but I know that not everyone feels the same way. It's really a personal choice. I only wish I could make longer trips with longer DLR hotel stays, so not only would I have a more relaxed trip in general, but I could really spend some time at the hotel itself, by the pool, reading, sipping a drink - all that stuff you are supposed to do at hotels!! It's not that I couldn't enjoy DL & DCA without staying onsite. Certainly I could. But the DLR hotels add so much extra magic to my experience - it makes it more complete for me, in a way. I can see where so many people have trouble "turning back" to non-Disney hotels once they have stayed onsite! But it's so expensive - how can people manage to justify staying onsite when HoJo's is sometimes $59 a night - especially in this tough economy when so many people are struggling?

Well, it sounds like it may be a good idea to do what you are doing and stay onsite for the last couple of nights. As long as you have your HoJo's reservation in place to cover you in case those AP rates never drop to the "good rates," you will be safe. I am sure that the good AP rates will come out eventually (well, "good" by Disney standards), but you may have to keep stalking the AP hotel calendar regularly to be able to pounce on a rate when it pops up, and it may be rather short notice, and then book the two nights before they fill up!!

Historically are there discounts for the GP during October? I was encouraged when I saw the summer discount, but reading about last year's AP rates has me thinking we might not see any GP room discounts for October.

What do you guys thinK? Book now or wait and see what if any discounts may be available for the end of October?

Smiling Cheshire Cat -

I am not sure what madness happened last year with the October AP rates, or why they made us wait so long. I don't think they made people wait as long for AP rates in 2008. I suspect that 2008 was such a big hit in October for DLR - I recall some folks saying that even the CMs were surprised by the number of visitors that year, because October had always been the "off-peak season" - that a lightbulb went on in their heads and they figured out that October might be such a big hit that people would be willing to pay rack rate for hotel rooms...and why let the AP rates out yet when they can hold off as long as possible... Plus, they had that 5 for 3 deal last year as well, and they wanted to let most of those bookings cycle out before releasing even more discounted rooms - AP rates - to the public, I think.

So I am sure there will be some "good" AP rates for October this year - heck, they even have "good rates" for certain weeks in December every year, and December is an extremely popular month to go to DLR - but they may not release them until September again, so you, too, may have to stalk the AP hotel calendar to jump on the rates when they come out, if you want to stay onsite. I think there are always some good AP rates for most months - maybe some busy months the rates are only for 2 weeks out of the month, or for certain days in each week, but there's always something. It's just a matter of when DLR decides to let the AP holders have them so they can plan!!

Dropping by although I don't have much to else to add today other than this: :goodvibes

Jazz - you can always pop in just to boogie!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

We still have more HalloweenTime information to learn, and even though I don't think it will come out until July (this would be the full HalloweenTime agenda and list of activities, from which we will be able to tell if anything new is being added to this year's events), we can keep on dancing in hopes of bring it out a little sooner!!:rotfl2:

Thanks for the response :goodvibes I am shocked :scared1: the the AP rates come out so late :confused3 I guess I'll just have to hold tight to makes my plans but it's hard :laughing: I have the Courtyard Anaheim booked (they have nice kids suites) so I guess if I want to switch last minute I can.

I am still undecided on the MHP :confused3 I also wanted the Fantasmic package because my mom can't stand for long periods of time but I can't afford both....actually I can;t afford either :laughing: but I'm not sure which one to do?

MelXThree-

Yes, good idea - hang on to the Courtyard Anaheim reservation and keep stalking the AP hotel calendar (or ask someone on the DIS to check rates for you) so you can pounce on a DLR hotel room as soon as the rate comes out. Hopefully they won't make us wait sooooo long this year for the good rates like they did last year. But, because that 5 for 3 deal is in effect again this year, they may do the same thing and wait for it to get to its last couple of weeks before they release AP rates.

I know what you mean about the MHP - I am still on the fence about it as well. It's a lot of money to fork over. I would have to really convince myself that it was worth it. Do you think your mom would enjoy Fantasmic? If so, that may be the way to go - at least you'll know that you get a seat!

I've been reading this thread since it was originally posted and have learned SO much from all of you...thank you!!!

I have a quick question for those of you who have recently signed up for the Disney debit through Chase.
- How long did it take you to get your debit card?
- Were you able to call and purchase the MHP tickets with the card (if that was in your Disney debit plans :)) or does it truly have to be a Disney Visa?

Welcome, JiminetteCricket! I have always wondered who the folks are who have come along with us on this thread but have been silent! I'm glad more people are starting to speak up!!

I, too, am curious about the Disney Rewards Visa Debit and how long it takes to arrive. I just ordered mine the other day, over the weekend, and for some reason, I have a strong hunch that I am going to see it in my mailbox by the end of the week. I just feel that I am going to get it very quickly. It seems like Chase is trying hard to make their new ex-WaMu customers happy. BUT, I just discovered that Chase was apparently so eager to please me and get me the Disney Rewards Visa Debit Card that I want, that they sent me two cards!! I looked at my regular Chase account online, and I saw a little link for "Disney Rewards." This is where you see how many rewards you have earned with your card. I clicked on the link and saw that they put TWO cards in my name. Ugh. I only need one - mainly because I don't want to pay $25 twice. So now I have to wait for both cards to get to me, and then I have to activate one of them and call Chase to cancel the other one before they charge me.

It's my understanding that the Disney Visa Debit Card has all the same perks as the Visa Credit Card, and you can book hotel rooms, buy tickets or whatever with either card. But they charge the Debit Card holders $25 and they do not charge the Credit Card holders $25.

But it would definitely be good to know for sure if we can, indeed, get the MHP tickets with the Debit Card. I am almost certain we can, but you never know!

Welcome, JiminetteCricket! I have always wondered who the folks are who have come along with us on this thread but have been silent! I'm glad more people are starting to speak up!!

I, too, am curious about the Disney Rewards Visa Debit and how long it takes to arrive. I just ordered mine the other day, over the weekend, and for some reason, I have a strong hunch that I am going to see it in my mailbox by the end of the week. I just feel that I am going to get it very quickly. It seems like Chase is trying hard to make their new ex-WaMu customers happy. BUT, I just discovered that Chase was apparently so eager to please me and get me the Disney Rewards Visa Debit Card that I want, that they sent me two cards!! I looked at my regular Chase account online, and I saw a little link for "Disney Rewards." This is where you see how many rewards you have earned with your card. I clicked on the link and saw that they put TWO cards in my name. Ugh. I only need one - mainly because I don't want to pay $25 twice. So now I have to wait for both cards to get to me, and then I have to activate one of them and call Chase to cancel the other one before they charge me.

It's my understanding that the Disney Visa Debit Card has all the same perks as the Visa Credit Card, and you can book hotel rooms, buy tickets or whatever with either card. But they charge the Debit Card holders $25 and they do not charge the Credit Card holders $25.

But it would definitely be good to know for sure if we can, indeed, get the MHP tickets with the Debit Card. I am almost certain we can, but you never know!

Thanks for the welcome!

I ordered mine Sunday night I think? I actually opened up a checking account with them just to get the Disney debit :rolleyes:. I'm hoping it will show up in the mailbox by the end of the week too so I can call and get our MHP tickets with it, I need to initiate it the proper way, right :lmao:.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I've tried to keep up but it's a lot of info. :) Am I understanding correctly that for the actual event itself, the entire park be cleared and guests need to reenter with their MHP tickets for the festivities? Since they're allowing MHP guests in to the park a few hours prior to the event itself, I'm wondering how they're going to work setting up, etc. It seems that they'd have to clear everyone out and the readmit only those with valid MHP tickets, but I just want to be clear. :) We're AP holders, as of now planning on being there just for MHP at the scheduled event time (6 p.m. on a Tuesday), and not spending the day in the park. Thanks so much! I've been reading and soaking in tons of information from this thread, it is MUCH appreciated. :)

No problem..I forgot to mention that I have found they release the AP discount code in August for DLR discounted rooms.
I usually book my room and then call back and apply the AP rate discount.

I asked about the new AP rate yesterday and the CM said he wasn't sure if they would be doing it this year. But it seems they have it every year..so...?

I booked the room at $266 with a senior citizen discount (yay mom thanks for turning 60 last year!). That's about what the AP rate was 2 years ago.

Yay!! Yes I can combine my GAD and the 2 day park hoppers I just won on the radio! Upgrading to an AP!!:banana:
The Gad is valued at $72, The PH is $151= $223 so paying the difference of $76 to upgrade.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I've tried to keep up but it's a lot of info. :) Am I understanding correctly that for the actual event itself, the entire park be cleared and guests need to reenter with their MHP tickets for the festivities? Since they're allowing MHP guests in to the park a few hours prior to the event itself, I'm wondering how they're going to work setting up, etc. It seems that they'd have to clear everyone out and the readmit only those with valid MHP tickets, but I just want to be clear. :) We're AP holders, as of now planning on being there just for MHP at the scheduled event time (6 p.m. on a Tuesday), and not spending the day in the park. Thanks so much! I've been reading and soaking in tons of information from this thread, it is MUCH appreciated. :)

What I've read is that they will be doing a wristband system. Those with tickets to MHP will receive a wristband, and be allowed to enter the park at 3 or 4 pm depending on if it's a Tuesday or Friday. Shortly before the actual event starts at 6 or 7 pm all regular guests will be asked to leave. CMs will be checking for wristbands before allowing guests to enter the queue for rides, giving out candy, etc.

What I've read is that they will be doing a wristband system. Those with tickets to MHP will receive a wristband, and be allowed to enter the park at 3 or 4 pm depending on if it's a Tuesday or Friday. Shortly before the actual event starts at 6 or 7 pm all regular guests will be asked to leave. CMs will be checking for wristbands before allowing guests to enter the queue for rides, giving out candy, etc.

Well that certainly works. Looks like we might plan to be there a little earlier then. Thanks! :)

I'm also waiting on my Disney Visa Debit and hope someone chimes in about this. I sure hope it works because I will be getting my tickets the day the card arrives if I can!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter