Halloween 2009 at the Fort!

Well, I don't know any other way to put this, so I am just going to tell you the truth.

What we have here is a golf cart situation. I just uploaded the next 25 photos for this little report, and guess what? It's 25 more golf cart photos. If there were any doubters among you, you now know that I wasn't kidding about how many entries there were in the golf cart parade. Now that I think about it, we might have been the only folks with a golf cart who weren't in the parade.

Anyway, I apologize in advance, but what you get in this post is 25 more golf cart photos:

FWHalloween2009093.jpg

FWHalloween2009094.jpg

FWHalloween2009095.jpg

FWHalloween2009096.jpg

FWHalloween2009097.jpg

FWHalloween2009098.jpg

FWHalloween2009100.jpg

FWHalloween2009101.jpg

FWHalloween2009102.jpg

FWHalloween2009103.jpg

FWHalloween2009104.jpg

FWHalloween2009105.jpg

FWHalloween2009106.jpg

FWHalloween2009107.jpg

FWHalloween2009108.jpg

FWHalloween2009109.jpg

FWHalloween2009110.jpg

FWHalloween2009111.jpg

FWHalloween2009112.jpg

FWHalloween2009113.jpg

FWHalloween2009114.jpg

FWHalloween2009115.jpg

FWHalloween2009116.jpg

FWHalloween2009117.jpg

FWHalloween2009118.jpg

There you go.

Another 25 golf cart photos.

And, I hate to tell you, but the parade still isn't over.

You know what that means . . .

TCD

You know what this report needs?

Less golf cart photos!

But, do you know what I have?

More golf cart photos.

But, I do have good news. There are less than 25.

And, when I get done posting them, there will be no more.

From the parade, anyway.

So, let's just get this over with:

FWHalloween2009119.jpg

FWHalloween2009120.jpg

FWHalloween2009121.jpg

FWHalloween2009122.jpg

FWHalloween2009123.jpg

FWHalloween2009125.jpg

FWHalloween2009126.jpg

FWHalloween2009127.jpg

FWHalloween2009128.jpg

FWHalloween2009129.jpg

FWHalloween2009130.jpg

FWHalloween2009131.jpg

FWHalloween2009132.jpg

FWHalloween2009133.jpg

FWHalloween2009134.jpg

FWHalloween2009135.jpg

FWHalloween2009136.jpg

Good news!

The parade has ended!

This truck and trailer brought up the rear:

FWHalloween2009137.jpg

And, this guest had the dubious distinction of being the first vehicle to enter the campground after the parade ended:

FWHalloween2009138.jpg

It was starting to get dark by the time the parade had passed by, so it was time for us to head to Trail's End, and fetch our chicken dinner. We enjoyed that, and then it was time to do some night time looping to really enjoy the decorations. We had been at the Halloween party the previous night, and a lot of the displays were turned off when we got back to the Fort.

So, tonight we got to take it all in.

I know I said I was done with the golf cart photos, but I did want to share these night time shots of the winning cart. First, this is the trailer:

FWHalloween2009141.jpg

FWHalloween2009142.jpg

And, this is the whole set-up:

FWHalloween2009143.jpg

Do you know how you can see into the 1200 and 1300 loop when you drive out of the road from 1600-1900? Someone had put up a huge display in that area:

FWHalloween2009144.jpg

FWHalloween2009145.jpg

FWHalloween2009147.jpg

They had one of those gadgets that synchronizes the lights with music, and the lights were flashing on and off with the music.

Good job!

Next up . . .

More random shots of what we saw around the Fort on Friday night . . .

TCD

Love the pics and report. We probably won't ever make a Halloween trip so neat to see the sites decorated. We pull out in 22 days, can't wait to get there! Our two year old DD actually got mad last night when I pulled into the drive at home, she said I go to Disney! I think we have already ruined her.:goodvibes

Oh, that was Tiggerinbama! So, she's a nun? Kind of weird that she has kids and a husband. I would have liked to meet her, too. There were just too many Disboarders at the Fort! I have never been there when there were so many.

The next thing you know, the rates for Halloween are going to go up.

TCD

Hey I'm not a nun just dressed up like like one it's a standing joke for our little group, only they will understand it. lol

sorry to freak her out, we had a blast. I would of loved to have met you.

I only have One husband and one child! lol

I told lorna that I thought that the girl was your daughter and that I thought ya'll were thgere and she said she saw one of the girls Trick or treating. I hope to meet all of yall real soon

For those one or two of you who are still reading along, I applaud you.

You didn't let 75 photos of golf carts deter you from plowing through this report so you could get to something interesting.

And, to reward you, I will start this installment with an interesting story. If any of you have read any of my most recent Fort reports, you will know that like every superhero, TCD has a nemesis. Mine is a castmember named Brian. I have seen him around the Fort for years. Perhaps you have too. He is the guy in the pickup truck who tells you you have too many cars on your site, or that you can't have an open campfire, or that you must turn down your music, or that you must stop shooting off your fireworks, or that it is illegal to tie your children to a tree, etc. My policy has always been to steer clear of Brian. I don't want any trouble from him.

But, on one of my earlier trips this year, Brian caught me red-handed in a FW golf cart, when I was inspecting the old cabin over the bridge behind the 300 loop. He was good about the whole incident, but from then on, I knew I had to really watch out for Brian. I even gave him a colorful nickname after that incident.

On our last few visits to the Fort, we have always found Brian with his truck blocking the access to the Fort beach by the Clementine's Beach sign. Some folks have been known to drive their golf carts onto the beach, and Brian sees it as his personal life mission to prevent that. It will no longer happen on his watch.

So, when we have run into Brian at the beach, I have joked with him about whether he was up for a chase and such, and he has been good natured about it. On this trip, I decided that Brian was OK. So, Brian and TCD are now cool. Brian is no longer my nemesis. I will have to find a new one, because Brian and I are now BFF's. See?:

FWHalloween2009150.jpg

Here is Brian's truck blocking the beach access:

FWHalloween2009151.jpg

Do you see that big grill there? There was some sort of private party on the beach on Thursday night. I asked my new BFF, Brian, who the party was for, and he didn't know. And, he didn't care. That is not his responsibility. Catching rule-breakers is his responsibility. If I want inside information, I need to ask a bus driver. Everyone knows that. Even Brian.

Here are the carts lined up along the drive, because Brian blocked them from doing donuts on the beach:

FWHalloween2009152.jpg

On Friday night, we watched for the Headless Horseman from the secret spot behind Miss Fiesty's site. There was quite a crowd there earlier in the evening, but we were the only ones there at this particular time. I actually tried to peek behind the fence to see if the Horseman is really headless. I have suspected for quite a while that this is just some kind of fancy costume, and that there is just a castmember ducking down in the costume. But, when I peeked behind the fence, I saw the Headless Horseman walking around with no head. I understand why he is so angry about this, and why he is always trying to find one. Anyway, after this round of carriage rides, when the Headless Horseman emerged from the woods, he motioned for me to come over, and he posed for a couple of photos. Here they are. A little dark, but you can see him:

FWHalloween2009156.jpg

FWHalloween2009158.jpg

Have you ever met the lady who camps in site 114? Judy? She is there all winter long. On Friday night, she was having a party at her site in honor of her son's 25th birthday, and she was passing out gummi body parts to folks passing by on golf carts. She stopped us and offered us a gummi body part. One of my DD's asked her what her favorite body part was. She asked my DD how old she was. When my DD said 14, she said she couldn't tell her! That one cracked me up all night!

After our visit to the beach and Miss Fiesty, it was on to look at more decorations.

Here are a couple of night shots of site 802, which we looked at previously:

FWHalloween2009159.jpg

FWHalloween2009160.jpg

This site is in the 1400 loop. I personally loved it. And, I remember this camper from a previous Halloween. I like his style. He basically has collected a huge amount of Halloween decorations, and he covers his site with them. Disney, not Disney, it doesn't matter. He goes for volume:

FWHalloween2009161.jpg

FWHalloween2009162.jpg

FWHalloween2009163.jpg

FWHalloween2009164.jpg

I should mention that this is a tent camper. Please make note of the full sized refrigerator that this fellow brings with him and sets up under his canopy. You can see it in the last photo above, toward the back center, right above the hitchhiking ghost's thumb in the center of the photo. Tent camping with a full sized fridge? Why not? I love it!

We spent the rest of our Friday night looping and having fun.

I was up early on Saturday morning. It was Halloween, and I wanted to soak it all in. We had agreed to spend the day at the Fort so we could enjoy all that it had to offer.

I didn't even make it out of my loop before I saw my first interesting sight. Look at the sleeping bag under this RV's awning:

FWHalloween2009165.jpg

And, here's another photo taken a little later that morning:

FWHalloween2009182.jpg

My man slept out on the porch on Friday night. I love it. And, I want to do the same thing some time. Maybe I can come over and spend the night outside of somebody's RV one night. Why not?

I haven't posted a photo of this golf cart yet, so here you go:

FWHalloween2009166.jpg

And, I took two photos of the excellent decorations at this site:

FWHalloween2009167.jpg

FWHalloween2009168.jpg

That is an old school Albert. Very rare. It was the only vintage Albert in the Fort. You have already seen my more modern version. I looped around quite a bit expecting to find Gatordad's, but I never found it. I found out later that I would have had to have looped all the way over to the All Star resort to find it.

For the record, there were exactly zero Georgia Bulldogs displayed in the campground this year. Probably won't be any around for a while.

On a previous trip this year, I noticed that they had the Segways they use for the Segway tour set up behind the Bike Barn. They were here again on Saturday morning:

FWHalloween2009169.jpg

And this sign confirms that the meeting place is now officially behind the Bike Barn:

FWHalloween2009170.jpg

FWHalloween2009171.jpg

I will compare the prices on this sign to a photo I took of the same sign in February of this year. I know the golf cart rental price has gone up in that time frame. I think the Segway tour has, too. I think the rest of the prices have stayed the same.

My next stop on Saturday morning was the 1500 loop. There have already been photos posted of Disboard member Whipperwhirl's decorations, but I will include a few photos here, too, just in case you missed the earlier ones:

FWHalloween2009172.jpg

FWHalloween2009173.jpg

FWHalloween2009174.jpg

FWHalloween2009175.jpg

I had a brief chat with Whipperwhirl. She and her family were having a great time. She is a true artist, and her duct tape creation was amazing!

Here are a couple of random shots of the TCD campsite. This one was taken from the back of my site looking toward the 800 loop:

FWHalloween2009176.jpg

Back in the day, you couldn't see the 800 loop from the 900 loop. But, you can now.

Here's another shot showing all the space that we had behind our site:

FWHalloween2009177.jpg

Next up . . .

We will begin to look at photos of the Halloween activities at the Fort.

Starting with the pet parade!

TCD

Hey I'm not a nun just dressed up like like one it's a standing joke for our little group, only they will understand it. lol

sorry to freak her out, we had a blast. I would of loved to have met you.

I only have One husband and one child! lol

I told lorna that I thought that the girl was your daughter and that I thought ya'll were thgere and she said she saw one of the girls Trick or treating. I hope to meet all of yall real soon

OK, good. I didn't think you were a real nun, but you can never be too careful.

I am really sorry that we did not meet up. I know your daughter is around the same age as my twins.

Maybe we will meet up in the near future?

Will you be at the Fort with your excellent Christmas decorations this year?

TCD

Oh, that was Tiggerinbama! So, she's a nun? Kind of weird that she has kids and a husband. I would have liked to meet her, too. There were just too many Disboarders at the Fort! I have never been there when there were so many.

The next thing you know, the rates for Halloween are going to go up.

TCD

She is far from a nun LOL She almost threw Donnie (Stacktester) off the cart its was too funny listening to Donnie screaming Kelly! KElly! KELly! KELLy! KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!

She is far from a nun LOL She almost threw Donnie (Stacktester) off the cart its was too funny listening to Donnie screaming Kelly! KElly! KELly! KELLy! KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, I am sorry that I missed that. I would have paid money for that show!

TCD

Memo to self: Do not ride on the nun's golf cart.

If you like pictures of golf carts decorated for Halloween, then you are going to like this post. If you don't like decorated golf carts so much, then you might want to just skip this one. Because I am about to post 25 photos of golf carts. Twenty Five. All of golf carts. You have been duly warned. Here we go:

Wow!

That was a lot of golf carts, wasn't it?

And, guess what?

There were still a lot more carts in the parade.

And, I took pictures of them all.

So, you know what's coming next . . .

TCD

Hey TCD you got me. I'm the one with the skinny legs in the red cart with all the spider webs.

Dan, that is you ??
So where were you the whole time ?/ We tried to find you , didnt happen, :confused3, wanted to meet you.
Maybe next time.

sorry Denise,, this is Frank. :banana:

I haven't made my reservations yet for next year, but I am definitely thinking about it. Since Halloween is on a Sunday, the kids might have to miss school on Monday.
TCD

That's our plan. I don't think the kids would mind missing school for a day, to be there for Halloween. I sure will not miss being at work.

Hey TCD you got me. I'm the one with the skinny legs in the red cart with all the spider webs.

No one is safe from TCD!

BTW- were you around for the announcement of the winners?

It was previously reported that the Minnie Mouse cart won first place, and the pirate cart won second. Do you know who won third? And the awards list also listed a winner for "Most Creative 'other.'" Do you know what that was about?

Does anyone know which carts won the prizes?

TCD

No one is safe from TCD!

BTW- were you around for the announcement of the winners?

It was previously reported that the Minnie Mouse cart won first place, and the pirate cart won second. Do you know who won third? And the awards list also listed a winner for "Most Creative 'other.'" Do you know what that was about?

Does anyone know which carts won the prizes?

TCD

I heard from a bus driver that the Mystery Machine got 4th. No really it was 4th. Hope this helps you get all the data lol.

The Mystery Machine was my favorite (even if it wasn't "Halloween themed")

Sorry, but I lied when I told you the pet parade photos were coming up next.

First, I have more Halloween decoration photos. These were all taken on Saturday morning, October 31.

We start out on the 600 loop. These folks have an inflatable Headless Horseman. Perfect decoration for the Fort!:

FWHalloween2009183.jpg

This is a simple, yet effective way to decorate a big Class A:

FWHalloween2009184.jpg

Just in case you haven't seen enough photos of site 802, I have some more for you. This time, check out the nice award ribbon received. Also, I heard that the prizes this year were pretty good. These included tickets to the Hoop Dee Doo, Theme Park tickets, meals at Trail's End. I did not hear exactly who received what as prizes, so if anyone knows, spill it!:

FWHalloween2009185.jpg

FWHalloween2009186.jpg

FWHalloween2009187.jpg

FWHalloween2009188.jpg

FWHalloween2009189.jpg

Here we are on the 800 loop, looking all the way over to the TCD site on the 900 loop:

FWHalloween2009190.jpg

Here's a guy who was minding his own business taking out the trash in his jammies, and now he is in a TCD trip report. Bummer!:

FWHalloween2009191.jpg

A couple of more campsites on 800:

FWHalloween2009192.jpg

FWHalloween2009193.jpg

Here is one of the ubiquitous detailing companies bothering the residents of the 800 loop on Halloween morning:

FWHalloween2009194.jpg

We have seen many photos of the winner of the campsite decorating contest. What about the other winner? He was on 301, and these next photos are from his site. Be sure to note the hand-cut and painted decorations. I spoke to this fellow, who was very nice, and he was very proud to point out that he and his grandchildren had made most of the larger decorations. He did a very good job!:

FWHalloween2009195.jpg

FWHalloween2009196.jpg

FWHalloween2009197.jpg

I especially liked the Headless Horseman:

FWHalloween2009198.jpg

FWHalloween2009199.jpg

FWHalloween2009200.jpg

FWHalloween2009201.jpg

And, this pirate ship was well done, too:

FWHalloween2009202.jpg

FWHalloween2009203.jpg

FWHalloween2009204.jpg

While admiring site 301, one of the first contestants for the pet parade arrived:

FWHalloween2009205.jpg

FWHalloween2009206.jpg

Yes, that's a cat. On a leash. In a costume. In a place where there were soon going to be about 100 dogs. And the cat's owner thought all of this was a good idea.

Anyway, since the contestants were starting to arrive, I zoomed back to the TCD base camp to round up the girls to come and watch one of the greatest spectacles known to mankind: The Halloween Pet Parade at Fort Wilderness!

On the way back, I ran into another one of those friendly detailers:

FWHalloween2009207.jpg

It was hard for me to keep track, but I believe there is one of these vans assigned to each loop. The owners of these outfits are very clever when they name their companies. Apparently, you are supposed to use an over-the-top adjective for the first word, and then Detailing as the second word. So, we have:

Amazing Detailing
Dazzling Detailing
Awesome Detailing
Fantastic Detailing
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Detailing

How about some truth in advertising?

What about -

Annoying Detailing?

Seriously, this detailing stuff has become an epidemic at the Fort. It crossed the line for me when I saw them detailing a tent on the 2000 loop.

Next up . . .

Exciting photos from the pet parade!!! (or, if you prefer, a lot of photos of dogs in hot dog costumes).

TCD

For the record, there were exactly zero Georgia Bulldogs displayed in the campground this year. Probably won't be any around for a while.

Although my Bulldogs have not done well this season, I am always a fan and will proudly display my Dawg loyalty when we are at the Fort for Thanksgiving (I do not have an inflatable UGA, though).

Great trip report! Halloween at the fort looks like a lot of fun. The decorations are amazing. The golf carts were awesome - yes, I looked at all the pictures! We had rain and mist all evening here, so not many trick-or-treaters came to our door. Pretty sad turnout. I still have half a cauldron of candy.

I know I said that pet parade photos were coming up next, and they are.

But, I forgot that for some reason I drove around the 1400 loop before heading back to TCD base camp. Maybe it was out of force of habit. I miss being able to drive over the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post.

Anyway, here are a few shots from the 1400 loop.

This was the first site in Little Bear:

FWHalloween2009208.jpg

FWHalloween2009209.jpg

Here are a couple of day time shots of my personal favorite (remember the guy with the full sized fridge?):

FWHalloween2009210.jpg

FWHalloween2009211.jpg

This is a pop-up with a whole mural wrapped around the front:

FWHalloween2009212.jpg

FWHalloween2009213.jpg

Now, at long last, we get to the pet parade photos.

The good news is that I don't have quite as many pet photos as I do golf cart photos. But, I do have a lot.

Remember the first place winner is a basset hound. Second place went to a Yorkie. Third place went to the cat (which, BTW, seems a bit unfair to me, because there was only one cat in the parade to begin with).

Anyway, here we go.

The parade began in the dog park, and then continued into and around the 300 loop. We set up right inside the 300 loop, and watched the entrants as they marched on by:

FWHalloween2009220.jpg

FWHalloween2009221.jpg

FWHalloween2009222.jpg

FWHalloween2009223.jpg

FWHalloween2009224.jpg

FWHalloween2009225.jpg

FWHalloween2009226.jpg

FWHalloween2009227.jpg

FWHalloween2009228.jpg

FWHalloween2009229.jpg

FWHalloween2009230.jpg

I think this is a basset hound in this next photo. And, it's the only basset hound that I have a photo of . . . So, this must be the parade winner. Too bad the dog was hiding behind its human when I took the photo:

FWHalloween2009231.jpg

FWHalloween2009232.jpg

FWHalloween2009233.jpg

FWHalloween2009234.jpg

FWHalloween2009235.jpg

FWHalloween2009236.jpg

FWHalloween2009237.jpg

FWHalloween2009238.jpg

Up next . . .

More pet parade photos . . .

And there are a few Dis'ers in these!

TCD

TCD:

I know that hoop de doo dinners were given out as prizes, but i'm not sure for what event. . .

Pet parade winners got rentals down @ the marina:
1st place: 30 minute pontoon
2nd place: 30 minute boston whaler
3rd place: 30 min searaycer

oh andddd if you had come to the bike barn or campfire, you would've met me!

Although my Bulldogs have not done well this season, I am always a fan and will proudly display my Dawg loyalty when we are at the Fort for Thanksgiving (I do not have an inflatable UGA, though).

We had a Georgia fan on our loop. He came by and took his son's photo in front of Albert. He was a good sport about things. You really should get yourself an inflatable UGA. I think he looks good!:

uga.jpg

Wouldn't he look nice at your site for Thanksgiving?

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter