Hall of Presidents Question

stocker1042

Internet message boards have changed the world.
HOP is one of my favorite attractions. I have a question...

Every time that we've voted in a new President, has the show changed? I mean..we've had several different CIC's in the time the attraction has been opened. Which ones did a speech like Obama does now?

Yes - everytime a new President joins office a new audio animatronic is added. When the show added Obama, they did a huge overhaul to the attraction by adding a speech by Washington, lengthening Lincoln's speech, and changing the opening video. Typically the change out is not as involved, they just move the former president someone in the line up then add the new one to the front spot. After the President is inaugurated Disney will come in and record his speech.

Here is the video of when they recorded Obama:

Behind the Scenes: President Obama & Disney's Hall of Presidents

The show itself was relatively static though the 70s and 80s - changes were evolutionary, not revolutionary. Then when Clinton came in in '93, the show was majorly reworked, into "We the People". Clinton was, I believe, the first sitting president to speak in the show.

Then on January 20, 2001, the show closed down. There was some question whether or not it was going to reopen at all. When it did reopen, it was still "We the People", but with a new, non-celebrity narrator, and a speech by 43. (Amusing fact - the animatronic for GW Bush was the same animatronic that had been Clinton. The now-non-speaking Clinton animatronic no longer needed to be as sophisticated as the previous one.)

Then when Obama came in, the show got perhaps its biggest workover yet. There had been talk of returning it to having only Lincoln as the speaker, because of some of the partisanship that would occasionally come from the audience over the previous 16 years. Instead, they went the other direction - adding Washington as a speaker, in addition to the sitting president.

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I was sort of surprised the POTUS asked whether they were wax figures. Had he never seen the attraction before? I would have thought he'd visited WDW with his family at some point before being elected president.

I'm rarely completely awake in there, so I'm not sure what anyone says or does........

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I was sort of surprised the POTUS asked whether they were wax figures. Had he never seen the attraction before? I would have thought he'd visited WDW with his family at some point before being elected president.
Not every family is a Disney family. ;)

:earsboy:

Thanks for the info. I was just curious if all the Presidents did that. I would think it would be a great addition to do from here on out, but I suppose closing it every 4 or 8 years might be tough.

(Amusing fact - the animatronic for GW Bush was the same animatronic that had been Clinton. The now-non-speaking Clinton animatronic no longer needed to be as sophisticated as the previous one.)

I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere...:rotfl:

Not intended to be a political statement at all! Just circumstantial! :littleangel:

I love Hall of Presidents, it's a must do every trip for us. A place to nap for my DH, and a dose of history for my kids, I just hope it sinks in with them.
Obama's speech gives me goosebumps, in fact, the whole show moves me. I don't know how people can skip it or write it off completely.
My sister used to skip it, until we dragged her family in one rainy afternoon- now they go every trip too.

I'm rarely completely awake in there, so I'm not sure what anyone says or does........

:thumbsup2:rotfl2: Same with the American Adventure at Epcot. I love it but it's just impossible to stay awake for the whole thing lol!!! Never have, not even once!!

I love Hall of Presidents. My 8 year old DD (6 the first time we saw it) loved the attraction so much, she talks about it every day. It's just as much a must do for her as BTMRR and Splash. I am always surprised when people think it's boring. Glad to see there are others who love it too.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say it was boring. I can't physically stay awake through the whole thing. It's like watching TV at night when you're tired. It's just impossible :lmao:

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say it was boring. I can't physically stay awake through the whole thing. It's like watching TV at night when you're tired. It's just impossible :lmao:

I have precisely that experience in Ellen's Energy Aventure....it's so airconditioned....and the voices are soooo soothing.... :faint:

When I went in march this year, we went to HOP around 3:30. It was all I could do to stay awake.

Muppets is another one that I love but have seen so many times, I slept until the cannon went off at the end. Lol

Is the show worth seeing? I missed it last time and unsure weather to see it this time? I saw the american one at Epcot and kind of enjoyed it, not sure the BF would though, he gets boared at that kind of thing.

Is the show worth seeing? I missed it last time and unsure weather to see it this time? I saw the american one at Epcot and kind of enjoyed it, not sure the BF would though, he gets boared at that kind of thing.

I think it's definitely worth seeing at least once! If nothing else, it's a long show in an air conditioned room with comfortable seats. And you've gotta love Morgan Freeman's narration.

I still get choked up at the HoP show, but then again I'm a big old softie.

I think it's definitely worth seeing at least once! If nothing else, it's a long show in an air conditioned room with comfortable seats. And you've gotta love Morgan Freeman's narration.

Morgan freeman!! This has just made the list ;) Ill not tell the BF what it is, luckly he has no clue about anything thier so i can trick him in to shows. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter