• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Half-portions during rotational dinners?

Cruisingbuddy3

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! I have a quick question about the dinners on the DCL (Magic). Do they serve half portions of the menu items? I'm a little embarassed to say but I just spent an hour looking at all the amazing looking items on all the menus and I really want to try a couple entrees on quite a few of them, but I don't want to waste food. Thanks in advance!
:worship:

I'm not sure if they'll actually do a "half portion" though you can ask for it. They definitely will bring you anything you wish to order - if that's 2 or 3 entrees, they'll do it. Just tell your wait staff what you'd like to try - if it's the "meat" from 1 entree and the starch from another (for example) they may be able to do up a special plate rather than bringing 2 full meals.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ask for what you want. The servers are happy to get it for you.

I wanted to try 2 different entrees on my last cruise. I wasn't specific and I got 2 full plates. I tried my best but my stomach couldn't hold all that food! :)

Just ask! Our server often brought an extra plate of something we didn't order for us to share...it was a lot of fun trying things.

Share with others at your table.

My husband and I will split things. Sometimes we will each get a dish we KNOW we want, and then each get an additional and share.

The dessert menu usually offers a trio which is nice because its 3 small versions of the desserts offered.

They won't really do half portions (dishes are plated by different people than the servers) and unfortunately waste does happen but your servers will bring you whatever you want to try.

MJ

They don't do half servings in the MDRs, but the servings are not huge--they are more European sized than American. However, you can order more of the same item or try as many additional items as you wish.

Servings on DCL are about 1/2 the size of some typical restaurants here...but it makes sense. On the ship, I'm not taking home leftovers!

I really want to be able to order a 1/2 or appetizer-sized dinner serving. I found myself dreading dinners in the MDR, due to too much food. I canceled my Palo dinner because I could not bring myself to eat anymore! I think I'll ask anyway-just in case...

Truthfully, the serving sizes are not that huge (not like you find in most American resaurants). If you want to try 2 entrees, don't be afraid to ask.

Thnaks for asking this. :) My teen son is not an adventerous eater but was willing to give something different a try since he could also get a standard favorite but didn't want two meals. I'll tell him to just order the item he wants to try and let them know he doesn't want the sides.

I think as someone else mentioned, the person plating it is not the servers, so it is difficult to customize. They rather bring you the full regular serving and it be wasted. We tried to do that, any customization was very difficult, especially during lunch time in the dining rooms. Not sure if they don't understand or they are not able to oblige. It is unfortunate, but a lot of food goes to waste on a cruise.

These meals are largely pre-prepared. So if you ask for a half-portion, the other half is most likely still going in the trash. It would be too difficult to coordinate otherwise. So don't worry about "waste"--it's a cruise and you can't avoid it. Just relax and enjoy. Everything you paid for took this kind of excess into account, believe me.

My husband often just got the meat portion of an entree if he wanted to try two thinks. One whole one and maybe just the steak or lobster etc.

Then for dessert he always had a mickey bar with my dd. :lmao:

My husband often just got the meat portion of an entree if he wanted to try two thinks. One whole one and maybe just the steak or lobster etc.

Then for dessert he always had a mickey bar with my dd. :lmao:

I wanted to do that on our last cruise (I just wanted two lobsters no sides) and the chef refused to do that for me. I was told that it ruins the presentation. I really liked my serving team but was disappointed that presentation took priority over making a customer happy. I was brought out two full huge plates I was so embarrassed (I'm a small girl). I wasn't too concerned about waste it was more about having two large plates in front of me and having to switch from one to another.

I wanted to do that on our last cruise (I just wanted two lobsters no sides) and the chef refused to do that for me. I was told that it ruins the presentation. I really liked my serving team but was disappointed that presentation took priority over making a customer happy. I was brought out two full huge plates I was so embarrassed (I'm a small girl). I wasn't too concerned about waste it was more about having two large plates in front of me and having to switch from one to another.

I remember seeing you post this in another discussion, and worried I would get the same thing when I asked for two. But nope. Hubby and I and another person at our table all ordered two tails and we got them on one plate!

I remember seeing you post this in another discussion, and worried I would get the same thing when I asked for two. But nope. Hubby and I and another person at our table all ordered two tails and we got them on one plate!

We had no problem either. Maybe it was too much work for your server. :confused3

Thanks for the replies :) Good to know that my experience is not the norm. Will try to order this way again. We leave tomorrow!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter