Half marathon spectator guidance needed

benhannah's mom

DVC Member/DIS Veteran
Staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. Sister and her husband are running the half marathon. Was planning on driving to TTC to watch and walk over to Poly to see them again. Then, hop on monorail to see them at Epcot. Is this doable? What's the best way to drive to the TTC? I will have my 80 year old mom (she's very active) and my sister's kids (10 and 16). Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Looking forward to going from the tundra that is now Illinois to a little warmer climate.

Staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. Sister and her husband are running the half marathon. Was planning on driving to TTC to watch and walk over to Poly to see them again. Then, hop on monorail to see them at Epcot. Is this doable? What's the best way to drive to the TTC? I will have my 80 year old mom (she's very active) and my sister's kids (10 and 16). Suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Looking forward to going from the tundra that is now Illinois to a little warmer climate.

TTC is part of the race course, which is closed to traffic during the race, or at least until the last walkers clear the area. If I absolutely needed to be in the Polynesian/TTC area I would take a taxi. The driver may need instructions to stay north and east of World Dr. until above the Speedway. Vista Blvd. past Campground to World Dr. then Seven Seas Dr. Hopefully you are getting the hint, that if you need to teach the taxi driver how to get around 1/2 marathon day, TTC is a bad idea.

The best bet is EPCOT parking before 5:00 a.m. The entrance to EPCOT is closed between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Expect World Dr. to be stop-and-go between 3:45-5:00 a.m.

for a little more info try the following:
http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/spectators/#parking

and, Marathon Program; p 33 (electronic), p62 (printed):
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wdw-marathon/2014/Marathon14_Prgm_Online.pdf

I was planning on getting to the TTC area before 5. Taking Vista Drive. We will have my sister's car at Epcot and can get my car later in the day as we will be going to the parks. I appreciate your input and will discuss starting out at Epcot. Thanks

I was planning on getting to the TTC area before 5. Taking Vista Drive. We will have my sister's car at Epcot and can get my car later in the day as we will be going to the parks. I appreciate your input and will discuss starting out at Epcot. Thanks

That should work; it would have worked in the past. It sound's like you are aware that your car will get stranded at TTC parking. Security is much tighter now post Boston. Have fun!

Taking Vista Drive.
Sorry I missed this bit.
The Vista Drive route is for TTC, drop-off plans. It will take you around the Polynesian area and south of the speedway, then back up. It's the oops-I-somehow-missed-the-parking loop. World Drive left two lanes might be a better route. Just for you at 5:00 a.m.

Keep your eyes peeled as you turn right onto World from Vista and before Seven Seas. You will/should be able to turn into the MK parking lot through a side gate and park in the section at the very back end of the Villains side of the lot. At least at one time that was the volunteer entrance.

Depending on how fast the runners are you may not be able to do TTC and poly and get to Epcot in time since the Poly is mile 7 and if you have to wait for a monorail for awhile it will be close. We are watching DH at TTC and will then just take the monorail back to Epcot to see the finish. He expects to be just under 2 hrs. for time so not sure what timeframe your runners are in. If they are slower you might be able to do it but it will be close. We will be doing TTC and poly on the day of the full marathon since DD is doing that and we will then go back to Epcot to wait for her to finish.

Depending on how fast the runners are you may not be able to do TTC and poly and get to Epcot in time since the Poly is mile 7 and if you have to wait for a monorail for awhile it will be close. We are watching DH at TTC and will then just take the monorail back to Epcot to see the finish. He expects to be just under 2 hrs. for time so not sure what timeframe your runners are in. If they are slower you might be able to do it but it will be close. We will be doing TTC and poly on the day of the full marathon since DD is doing that and we will then go back to Epcot to wait for her to finish.

The line for the EPCOT (return) monorail, at TTC, becomes long enough that it snakes all the way back to the Ticket Sales Booths, filing the entire area between the ramps and sales kiosks. I skip the Polynesian viewing, when watching walkers during the 1/2 marathon.

Regular EPCOT buses from Wilderness Lodge, and monorail resorts, drop you at TTC during the race. I tried to get back to EPCOT via bus one year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter