Half Marathon, 2016...sold out....

KimK2006

DIS Veteran
My DD19 wants us, as a family to run the half marathon in January. I looked up the details and see it is already sold out. Do they open up any spots later, or once it is sold out, is out sold out? Assuming we are out of luck for 2016, when do they open registrations so I can be on top of it for 2017?

I think that's it for 2016. It went on sale at the end of April. About two weeks before that there were a number of spots sold for AP holders and DVC members. Keep checking rundisney.com for 2017. Sorry.

They added a few half marathon spots later last year when the Goofy didn't sell out, but they seem to have changed their race allocations this year and Goofy is already 90%+ sold so I wouldn't expect any late openings. The half marathon sold out in about 2 hours this year so it will be very important to be ready to register right when it opens if you ever do look to sign up for a race; particularly when registering multiple people. Keeping track of rundisney.com will keep you updated on when registration opens for 2017, but late April has been pretty consistent the last few years. It is possible you could look for travel providers or charities to find openings for 2016, but I have no insight as to how well those routes work or if they still have openings for that race. Possibly someone else would be able to provide insight on that.

My first half marathon was in January 2012 and I signed up in September 2011. It is really crazy how quickly these races have begun to sell out and I am thankful that registration wasn't filling so quickly back then. I had never heard of the WDW Marathon Weekend back then and I am pretty sure I never would have started running without that first race and would never have signed up for that first race if registration hadn't still been open when I learned of it.

Good luck finding spots in either 2016 or 2017.

My DD19 wants us, as a family to run the half marathon in January. I looked up the details and see it is already sold out. Do they open up any spots later, or once it is sold out, is out sold out? Assuming we are out of luck for 2016, when do they open registrations so I can be on top of it for 2017?
In general, once it's sold out, it's sold out. As @Barca33Runner said they did split up some Goofy entries last year into half and marathon entries, but I wouldn't count on that.

Your best bet (and by that I mean "only legal option" as bib transfers are a no-no) at this point is to try to get bibs through a Travel Agent or Charity Provider (links to both are here: http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/registration/). And if you decide to push the trip to next year, keep in mind that this race usually does sell out on the first day. It's very popular. :)

Sent you a PM from the other thread.

If going in February instead of January is an option, Princess half marathon registration begins July 14.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter