• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Half a Ton of Big Guys Take on the World

We loved Liberty Tree too. It is always a must when we go. Characters come around more then once, what more could you ask for.

My son too had root beer and thought it was cool to have a mug like he was drinking real beer. I think he stopped at 2 1/2 , he is 10 after all.

You don't like apple crisp. I think that is what they have...yummy. DD only had ice cream too.

The LTT sounds great and you hit the jackpot for characters (could it be because YOU are characters?) ;) We haven't eaten there yet (we haven't eaten at lots of places :laughing: ) but I think I will try on our next trip.

Another great episode, DTD!

I also enjoyed LTT when I went to MK for a one day visit a few years ago. We were able to get a walk-in seating back then. I remember Pluto having a much longer tongue when we went and everyone wanting to pull on it when he visited their tables. I think that may be why it is shorter these days :rolleyes: :rotfl2:

I've spent lots of time on plenty of farms here in backwoods South Carolina...Does that count??? ;)
I hear scary things about back woods SC, so sure it counts.

The LTT sounds great and you hit the jackpot for characters (could it be because YOU are characters?) ;) We haven't eaten there yet (we haven't eaten at lots of places :laughing: ) but I think I will try on our next trip.
I'd shied away because a few folks on the Dis really said bad things about it. But then I found some known foodies that said it was great. They were right. Now my search for new places has forced me to the resorts to eat. That's a goog thing.
Backstage Gal, KYCruiseCrazy Goofster. Lexi, NAB, FauntleroyFAN and Moo, thanks for staying with me on this thang. Tomorrow will be my eighth in a row at work(70 hours), so I should get something up in a few.

yay! Love Liberty Tree Tavern! The food really is "goog", I agree! I had loaded up on salad and never made it to dessert, but it looked pretty tasty. I did like how ON the characters were. They do come around a LOT. I asked one of em for a diet coke the next time he made his rounds. :lmao:

Heck, I love all of Liberty Land, especially the funnel cakes and the Hall of Presidents. Pres. "Crypt-Keeper" is spooky! Can you guess which ex-President I'm referring, Mr. Trivia? Of course it's only my opinion, but I want to see if anyone else is creeped out by one certain President. (No, it's not our current one :cool2: )

We've knocked out big chunks of the park, but there's one Land we haven't even been to yet, Adventureland. I held off going there on purpose. I'd heard Jungle Cruise after dark was great. It's still light, but we head that way. We'll Cruise later. The best place to start in Adventureland has to be Pirates of the Caribbean. We get there, and there is no one around. We go in and walk all the way to the boats. We never slowed down. This is Sunday at 6:30 and we got to ride with no wait. I love the changes, but I'd ridden it last year, so they weren't new for me. I believe the Davy Jones effect is the best in the World. But what I love about the changes is what they didn't touch. They wove the new with the old seamlessly. We still chant We want the redhead. That leg is still hairy. And Captain Jack fits right in.
We walk up the path and there is almost no line for Aladdin's carpet, so we get in line. We are three groups back, about a ten minute wait. Okey, this ride is no big thrill, but once you've ridden it, you don't need to do Dumbo or Triceratop Spin. Then we headed around back to the Dole Whip place. Not that anyone had any room for one, but they were closing down. They'd have sold us water, but nothing else. No thanx.
We come through the potty area to right in front of that dang tree. I hear "What's that? Oh let's climb." Well, I've mentioned my slight fear of places higher than the second step of a ladder, right? I've tried the Swiss Family Robinson TreeHouse twice before. In the '88 during busy season, I got about a fourth of the way up and cm's had to walk me down. Told me not to try again. Ya'll thought Pinocchio's head was hard? I tried again last year. It was a lot less crowded, and the panic didn't set in till about two thirds of the way up. But I pushed onward and upward since no one was in front of me and I could just focus on the steps above. I got almost to the top and there was a huge crowd in and around the upper bedroom, so I hopped over a little gate about 6 feet from the top. This year, I hung back a while as the others climbed. Then when I started getting nervous, I shot up to the top. There were 5-6 people in that bedroom(I can't stop to read the sign, I'd die), so I get there, put one foot in the room and make the big right turn in one motion. Eleven seconds later, I'm on the ground. Mickey, Goofy and Pluto are still in that bedroom, so I whip out the cell phone and call Ruby, the (now but not then) ex-gf. We'd been to the World together last year. Then I called Al, the guy I went with in '88, but he refuses to believe me. Keeps saying yeah, that's great. Right.
Having accomplished my final goal in life, when the guys get down we head for my other worst nightmare, The Tiki Room, (still)Under New Management. It's not a rite of passage, it's just easier to do it than to explain to the group why not to do it. They figured that one out on their own.
When we come out, it is pitch black. Time to ride the Jungle Cruise. Everyone said it was the best in the dark. Everyone lied. Oh, maybe it your guide isn't made of wood with the sense of humor of Dick Cheney. This guy made the back side of water not funny. And I only know he said it because I was listening for it. He was a low talker. And thought everything was ironic. Such a poor experience. And on a ride I love. :sad:
A quick look at the cell phone reveals we covered all of Adventureland in just over an hour. Still 25 minutes to Wishes. Just then I realize it's an extra magic night and we don't have wristbands. I mention this, and Pluto says he saw a sign across from Pirates saying they had them there. When did he start seeing things? (When he did the same thing the next night at MGM, we decided Pluto was part bloodhound. ) Two minutes later, we're all banded and and looking for a spot to watch Wishes. Confession: I'd never found a spot and watched Wishes, although last year we watched Hallowishes and loved it.Now it's 7:45 for 8 o'clock Wishes, and it's Sunday, and I'm pretty sure
Adventureland was empty because everyone was finding a spot for Wishes, but somehow, without knocking down one person or standing in front of munchkins, we end up across the Liberty Square bridge about 75 feet, right in front of the castle. I'd heard about Tinkerbell flying from the castle, but had never witnessed it. We saw her from the start until she disappeared over the Tomorrowland Terrace. The music, the fireworks, the castle lights,
castleatnight.jpg

what an impressive and exciting show. I'll never miss it again.
Back across the bridge and turn right and we're where we've spent the least time, and home of my favorite attraction in all the World(if you can't guess, you're just not paying attention), Fantasyland. Now a half ton of men just don't ride the Carousel, that's just too much. And we've been on Pooh, IASW and Snow White. They're all too chicken for a Tea Party, but Peter is calling. This to me is the ultimate Walt Disney ride. Dark, beautiful, and exciting(ok, dusty). And the feeling of floating over London is fantastic. But this ain't the one.
Finally, after nearly 12 hours in the park, I get to do the one thing I love best, Donald's er er um Mickey''s Philharmagic. This is the best of the 3D shows, the best footage in Disney history, and stars the greatest well, you know. Twenty minutes of heaven. Disney uses smells so well, but nowhere better than here. You can have your oranges on Soarin' or your stink bugs in ITTBAB, but there is nothing like the smell of fresh bread. Each scene plays right to the story and Donald is well, Donald. The only thing that could improve this show would be a guest appearance by Daisy.
We leave Philharmagic and decided what we really want to do is go to Frontierland and ride the Mountains till midnight. BTWRR has to be the best ride in the dark. We get on and it feels like a runaway train going downhill with a full head of steam. Great. Then we hop over to Splash. No line to speak of. We ride and decide it's great in the dark too. We head back over to Big Thunder to find cm's shooing people; it was down for the night. Technical problem. So we just turn around and head back to Splash. Ohoh. Our theme for the day returned with a vengeance. We were on the ling 45 degree climb when we came to a stop. Lights came on and the annoouncement, remain seated, the ride will continue in a few minutes, began. Every two minutes for a half hour. Then it suddenly started up. We decided when we got off, we'd just head back. We'd gotten so much done and had enough fun, we just OHNO!! We were on final approach before the big u-turn to make the big plunge when we stopped again. This time, all the lights came on and the exit lights were backlit. The announcement was now remain seated until cm's come to assist you. This time was at least 40 minutes. Finally, a cast member came, but all she could do is tell us to wait until another cm could come to help. Turns out this was her first week and she'd never walked folks off. Finally a cm with some experience showed up and told us to carefully climb out of the boat. I guess he realized that at 145 pounds, he was a spectator. They took us through an exit where about 40 people were gathered. Than we stepped outside onto a free standing 600 foot high staircase.:scared1: Ok, it was just 60 feet high. Just. PANIC! I got to the middle with Goofy and Pluto on either side and we walked very quickly down. when we got down, the first cm apologized. The second said we can do a little better and gave us a fastpass goog for any ride any day in September in MK. I'd rather have had a beer, which I did an hour later when we got back to the room. Then another. Then, sleep. All in all, a bizarre but full day with 20 times more goog than bad. And I'd pretty much handled my fear of heights, so I was happy about that.
Next, show day at MGM

I got some pictures from Goofy, but none af that evening. But a few of earlier, so I'll post them here.
The first look down Main Street is always great.
dw1.jpg

From Country Bears
dw25.jpg

dw26.jpg

And Goofy with some of his friends.
dw21.jpg

dw20.jpg

And he has some great pictures of MGM, so more next time.

I'm still catching up, but I've gotta stop and say that I'm really enjoying this Man Report! :surfweb:

You've got an excellent TR, sir! :goodvibes Keep up the great work. :thumbsup2

Carry on! popcorn::
-Michelle

Great update, I would have liked it if they gave out beers instead of fastpasses too!

I agree, BTMRR is awesome at night, totally different feel to it than during the day. Also, I too love Wishes, but you haven't seen a fireworks show until you've seen the one they put on at the Pirate/Princess party. It is awesome!!!

I'm enjoying your tr, you are funny!

I'm joining in late, but I'm all caught up. I spent all morning reading the entire TR! It's just so awesome that 4 grown men would choose to spend their vacation at Disney. I'm looking to do a girls only trip this spring. It's nice to hear how people do it w/o kids.
Congrats on conquering your fear w/ the tree house. :thumbsup2
Can't wait to read more!!

I agree, BTMRR is awesome at night, totally different feel to it than during the day.

It's even better when it's raining. It actually becomes a little on the scary side...but oh so FUN!!!! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to the next installment!!!

This is a fun read. You like so many of the same things my family enjoys.

HDDR is a must for us. My boys sure love the chicken.

Buzz is our first ride when entering MK.

AND as my daughter says, "we love the donald duck movie!" When we stayed in 2003 we got this as a gift when purchasing our vacation. It hangs in our living room.

dd.jpg

Jungle Cruise is cool at night. Except when you get a sucky captain...:sad2:

I'm proud of you for conquering the stairs and glad you didn't make a scene :goodvibes

Can't wait to see how you did on Tower of Terrific!

Your afraid of heights. I think you did great then, with out freaking out. I don't like heights either but the tree house doesn't bother me. Standing on a ladder etc. Yes.

I ride the carousal with my kids and rode on the horse just once. If they stop when they are up high it is a long way down just saying. Good thing you didn't ride.

Here I thought you sat ringside at the games for other reasons.:lmao:

We never manage to get a Dole whip either because we are so full. Maybe next time.

On our honeymoon last year my wife and I rode the Jungle Cruise at night. Since it was my wife's first time on this ride I thought it would be cool at night. Well, I had been on this ride lots of times but this time I experienced something different. Our skipper was a Japanese woman who spoke very bad english. She told all the normal bad jokes but it was almost like listening to a bad japanese monster movie. The girl was very nice and tried hard but couldn't deliver the goods.

On our honeymoon last year my wife and I rode the Jungle Cruise at night. Since it was my wife's first time on this ride I thought it would be cool at night. Well, I had been on this ride lots of times but this time I experienced something different. Our skipper was a Japanese woman who spoke very bad english. She told all the normal bad jokes but it was almost like listening to a bad japanese monster movie. The girl was very nice and tried hard but couldn't deliver the goods.

Oh, man...this would have been a major photo-score for Jordan... Sorry! Most of you probably have no idea what I am talking about!! Check out his PTR to find out!!

I have never ridden the jungle cruise at night... After these anecdotes, maybe I'll stick to daylight cruises... !

Hi, DTD, I am proud of you for conquering your height fears. Way too go :thumbsup2 I am the same way.

Some years ago, my family and I visited the Grand Canyon. I spent my time freaking out over other peoples kids playing at the edge of the canyon where there was no railing. I kept running aroung pulling kids back from the edge :eek:

Great report!

Great report. Can't wait for more. Gives me a little more conidence to go alone. I'm 37, married, and love Disney. I talk about going back quite a bit, and my wife thinks I'm crazy. I think I'm going to take up the offer in January that's on the website, and go solo at the beginning of the year.

Can't waitg to hear more about the trip.

DTD....I feel your pain on the heights but not for myself but fear of losing a wild child at those heights. Wild children have no fear of going right up the rail and leaning hard on it to get a good view of something waaayyyyy over there. Always makes me weak in the knees to think of it.

Bummer on Splash! That's a really long wait and although I like the music on Splash, it must've been awful to listen to it for over an hour!

You're right BTMRR is the best in the dark! Never done the jungle cruise in the dark but it's always a disappointment to get a dud for a captain.

Philharmagic is in my top 3 favorite attractions in all the parks. As nebo said, they should have an apple pie stand outside the theater. They'd make a fortune! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter