HAL Cruise Passanger Attacked, Attempted Thrown Overboard

Disney doesn't have some special magic in choosing their employees that lets them know whether or not someone "might" become unstable at one point or another. Take the dining room CM who fondled that little girl recently....

I didn't hear about that one:(...did this happen on DCL?

Thanks for the insight. It honestly never occurred to me that room service would have a need to enter an unattended room. I never thought about that set of workers needing to gain access. I know maintenance and the room attendants can come and go pretty much whenever, I just never thought about room service.

I also never assumed the keys were master keys to all rooms but the room stewards had keys to their block of rooms.

I really was just curious when I asked originally. In all honesty I never assume that my cabin is secure when I'm not in it as the doors are frequently open for cleaning etc. I basically assume when traveling that no hotel or room is secure from a valuables standpoint. I never considered someone hiding in my room before though.

Not that it matters if it was room service or the room attendant - it is still terrifing to think of someone snapping like that and hiding on the balcony waiting for you to return. I feel for this woman and pray for her recovery both in mind and body.

So sick and so sad. I hope they punish him to the full extent of the law.

I don't care where he's from or how Americans or anyone else appear with regard to SES in the eyes of the workers on the ships. There is NO excuse or justification for this. Even if he was tortured as a child, he is still responsible for his behavior as an adult.

I'm wondering if HAL will implement some sort of dx testing when hiring now, like an MMPI? It would be costly but if it saves even one person from being attacked like this, it's worth it.

Tragic.

Something that I thought about pertaining to this story is, what if a stateroom host or someone with an "all access" card; looses their card? Accident's happen and everyone's human. When we were on the Fantasy in 2012, we came back to our stateroom and noticed our room attendant had forgotten her all access card in the card light switch. Now, we of course did the right thing and called her to our room so we could give it back, but what if that card had landed in the wrong hands? Some no good passenger could have used it to harm someone in a room or steal valuables from rooms. Not a good thought :(

Not that it makes a difference in this situation, but usually the card they use to keep the lights on isn't the same one that opens the door. I've seen them using playing cards in the card light switch. I'd like to hope that the stateroom access keys are kept on a keyring or lanyard or some such.

And yet folks still knock themselves out to try to move here...

True....at least for one of our bordering countries. But that wasn't the one I was referring to. I should have said a lot of EUROPEAN countries say that about us.

If you travel extensively, you can see what they're talking about. American tourists can be pigs....tossing trash on the ground, being rude, cutting lines.....

Sorry, that ended up sounding off topic, but the original point was that a lot of foreigners harbor bad feelings toward Americans.

Maybe I should have said "Ugly Americans":

http://www.gadling.com/2008/11/14/10-ways-to-get-yourself-labeled-as-an-ugly-american/

Not that it makes a difference in this situation, but usually the card they use to keep the lights on isn't the same one that opens the door. I've seen them using playing cards in the card light switch. I'd like to hope that the stateroom access keys are kept on a keyring or lanyard or some such.

Yes, after what happened in our case, I'm sure they don't use their actual cards. We sailed on the Fantasy when it had only been in service a few months; before the crew probably started using fake cards. The one she left in our room was an all access card.

I imagine there is a way to override it in emergencies

Yes, there is an override key that can be used to unlock dead bolts.

I also never assumed the keys were master keys to all rooms but the room stewards had keys to their block of rooms.

I am sure this is the case. As a General Manager for a large hotel chain, you have the ability to program the keys to a section or floor. Only management have a "Master Key" . Most places also make you sign the keys in and out, and the locking systems have a memory that can produce a report as to which keys opened the door and at what time.

I am sure that Disney room stewards only have access to the state rooms that they clean. Now if he was a room service attendant I can see where he would have a master key.

In the article i read, I thought the woman could've stubbed her toe or something on her way to answering the door and muttered an expletive in response to the pain (my wife would do that). And somehow, this crew member took that as an insult against him. What got me was that he went looking for her on an upper deck to "punch her in the face." This guy has serious problems.

In the article i read, I thought the woman could've stubbed her toe or something on her way to answering the door and muttered an expletive in response to the pain (my wife would do that). And somehow, this crew member took that as an insult against him. What got me was that he went looking for her on an upper deck to "punch her in the face." This guy has serious problems.

That was my first thought too,,, :(

BTW, thank you Moderators for NOT removing this thread, unlike other forums.

I feel this thread applies to all cruise lines and is applicable, and should remain on all cruise line forums.

This thread can only assist and remind all sailors of the unexpected pearls at sea, as rare as it may be. Be aware of your surroundings. Listen to your neighbors, as crazy as that sounds. If you hear, or feel something is not right, alert the appropriate authorities. If you sense something is wrong, share it with others immediately, whether it's your spouse, cabin mates, other passengers, or a CM. Don't be shy. Let someone else know you thoughts/feelings as twisted as they may seem at the time.

I have a suspicion this will be the grease that turns the wheel regarding the cruise industry. We can only hope this tragedy will result in safer travel for us all. I know, that's a stretch, but can't someone be optimistic. ;)

Safe travels to all.

:goodvibes

I was telling my husband about this at dinner, and I said the exact same thing...and that's assuming she said anything derogatory at all.

BTW, thank you Moderators for NOT removing this thread, unlike other forums.

I feel this thread applies to all cruise lines and is applicable, and should remain on all cruise line forums.

This thread can only assist and remind all sailors of the unexpected pearls at sea, as rare as it may be. Be aware of your surroundings. Listen to your neighbors, as crazy as that sounds. If you hear, or feel something is not right, alert the appropriate authorities. If you sense something is wrong, share it with others immediately, whether it's your spouse, cabin mates, other passengers, or a CM. Don't be shy. Let someone else know you thoughts/feelings as twisted as they may seem at the time.

I have a suspicion this will be the grease that turns the wheel regarding the cruise industry. We can only hope this tragedy will result in safer travel for us all. I know, that's a stretch, but can't someone be optimistic. ;)

Safe travels to all.

:goodvibes

I don't see any way at all that something like this could have been stopped ahead of time.
The president has put into law several different things to supposedly make cruising more safe for passengers....peepholes, cameras, etc.....but it's still left to the ships to implement. And even with all that, nothing could have stopped a maniac from going in to the room while the passenger was out, and waiting for her return.:(

I don't see any way at all that something like this could have been stopped ahead of time......

I didn't say it could have been, did I ? :confused3

I'm trying to enlighten sailors to be aware, and unfortunately not reduce their awareness aboard, regardless of cruise line, no matter how "nice" the crew may seem. That's all.

As previously stated, these rules apply shore side too, yet for some reason, again, as stated, folks often ignore innate senses once aboard unfortunately.
As if it's a utopia of some kind, protected from the city perils.

I feel this incident will be a precedent for the industry.
I will be following the progress closely.

I'm really glad you said this. Admittedly, I hadn't considered this when I first read the article because unfortunately, elitist, entitled attitudes are rampant, and it was easy to assume the negative. Thank you, for providing this perspective.

I didn't say it could have been, did I ? :confused3

I'm trying to enlighten sailors to be aware, and unfortunately not reduce their awareness aboard, regardless of cruise line, no matter how "nice" the crew may seem. That's all.

As previously stated, these rules apply shore side too, yet for some reason, again, as stated, folks often ignore innate senses once aboard unfortunately.
As if it's a utopia of some kind, protected from the city perils.

I feel this incident will be a precedent for the industry.
I will be following the progress closely.

No, you didn't....true...and I meant to add that and forgot. And you're right, it's a good reminder for us to be careful....and I wish and hope that there is something that someone could come up with, to not have this kind of thing happen again.

True....at least for one of our bordering countries. But that wasn't the one I was referring to. I should have said a lot of EUROPEAN countries say that about us. If you travel extensively, you can see what they're talking about. American tourists can be pigs....tossing trash on the ground, being rude, cutting lines..... Sorry, that ended up sounding off topic, but the original point was that a lot of foreigners harbor bad feelings toward Americans. Maybe I should have said "Ugly Americans": http://www.gadling.com/2008/11/14/10-ways-to-get-yourself-labeled-as-an-ugly-american/

Oh yes I do totally see what you're saying and I concur. And I don't mean to take this totally off-topic but I do want to respond at least a little bit. I work in a wonderful hospital filled with people from all over the world and I enjoy it very much. These intelligent men and women have come to US to live and work many times because their families have given up so much to make it happen. They bring their talents here to work. But yet as you state United States is seen in such a poor light and many of the same countries. It's such a weird unbalanced thing really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter