• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haitian orphans

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
After finishing watching the evening news, my DH turns to me and says, "If they were to ask for American families to volunteer to foster a child from Haiti, would you?" I was shocked! Of course I would! I know after Katrina we helped displaced families temporarily, but would there be any chance that Haitians would be able to be helped similarly? I would think they wouldn't want to leave their home, but...

Terri

I bet that many American families would be willing to open their homes, but I doubt it will happen. Taking children from their native countries is a hot button issue. Hopefully there will be programs that allow us to donate money and items to support them there in Haiti.

I can understand it not being an "adoption", but what would be wrong with "fostering" them until their country can stabilize itself? There could be rules be put in place about not splitting up siblings, etc. I bet lots of people would be willing to help...

terri

I know after Katrina we helped displaced families temporarily, but would there be any chance that Haitians would be able to be helped similarly? I would think they wouldn't want to leave their home, but...

Terri

There's no chance of that. The quake hit especially hard in Pétionville (the rich part of Haiti). The best hospital, hotel, the cathedral, the Presidential palace were destroyed. The is no middle class in Haiti, there are the very few rich and the very poor… even Preval’s home was destroyed, so it’s not likely that the orphans will find good homes to be sent to there, as there are not many homes that were left standing.

Actually, it's very interesting you brought this up. I read a Pittsburgh blog that is usually very humorous but the woman that writes it is all about helping kids. She met two young women from Pittsburgh, sisters Jamie and Ali McMutrie, who run the BRESMA orphanage down there. Ginny, the blogger, updated on her blog that they and all the kids survived the earthquake. She later updated that it is a very bad situation and the girls along with the kids need to get out. In an e-mail sent from Jamie, she said that the house is falling down so they are living in the yard with all the kids, the water is contaminated, there is no power or phones, no food. They also said that they need to get the kids out of Haiti ASAP. Ginny is asking for anybody that knows anybody to help and contact her so that they can get the kids out of there. There are several kids that are extremely far along in the adoption process that they are almost US citizens, but they cannot get out of Haiti to go to their families and it looks like it will be pushed back years. Please, send any good thoughts and prayers to these girls and the kids.

My DH and I spoke about this at dinner. We live in Miami and I would love to open my home on a temporary basis to help!

I bet that many American families would be willing to open their homes, but I doubt it will happen. Taking children from their native countries is a hot button issue. Hopefully there will be programs that allow us to donate money and items to support them there in Haiti.

Sadly, that's true. There is a lot of red tape involved with taking a child to be fostered or adopted out of the country. I wish there were a way to fast track all of the children who were already in the adoption process to get them to their families ASAP and a way to quickly foster the rest of the children. It's so heartwrenching to think of the massive loss of life from the earthquake. :guilty:

Sadly, that's true. There is a lot of red tape involved with taking a child to be fostered or adopted out of the country. I wish there were a way to fast track all of the children who were already in the adoption process to get them to their families ASAP and a way to quickly foster the rest of the children. It's so heartwrenching to think of the massive loss of life from the earthquake. :guilty:

Unfortunately I don't think they will be fast track-ing the adoptions. The two women I was talking about earlier said that adoptions are stopped for at least five years. They also said that riots will begin within 2 days and if they don't get the kids out of there they probably will not survive. :sad2:

I saw that orphanage this morning and nearly lost my mind. A radio friend of mine is working on helping the country out and I'd foster or adopt one of those kids in a second. I just feel like I need to do SOMETHING. :sad1:

I absolutely would do this. I remember reading and seeing a good deal about large numbers of aids orphans in Africa and looked into adopting one of them. It also appeared impossible unless I was very wealthy, even though these children were lacking the very basic of living standards.

I would foster/adopt one of those children in a second too. Their situation to begin with is bad enough, now add this....geez. Poor things.

Tonight on the radio, I was listening to a story of a local woman who was already in the process of an adoption of a 3 year old girl and got news that there were injuries where she lived, but mostly ok, hopefully, but their building was destroyed and living outside and who knows what will happen from here. It was heartbreaking to hear her prayers.

The American Red Cross has already started taking donations.

Unfortunately I don't think they will be fast track-ing the adoptions. The two women I was talking about earlier said that adoptions are stopped for at least five years. They also said that riots will begin within 2 days and if they don't get the kids out of there they probably will not survive. :sad2:

Not only have lives been lost, but all of that adoption paperwork has been destroyed and I wonder if the kids who have been matched with families will ever be reunited if they do survive the quake. This is so heartbreaking. I hope that rioting can be kept under control so that the people of Haiti can stay safe.

**Right now on The Today Show is a clip about parents waiting for their adopted children in Haiti.**

My thoughts and prayers are with those in Haiti, both the injured and the rescue workers. I can't wrap my brain around the horrors they've seen and the hardships yet to come as a result of the loss and massive destruction.

In March 1997 I was in Albania, Europe adopting a 3 year old boy. While I was there a revolution broke out and the Albanian citizens, the military, and parts of the government attempted to overthrow a then corrupt government infrastructure. One minute the country was peaceful, and literally within moments there were riots everywhere, people starting fires, and people shooting machine guns in the air. The courthouse where I adopted my son just 2 days prior was burned to the ground. The airport was closed. I was told there was no way out of the country. I was taken captive at the American Embassy where corrupt Albanian government officials attempted to trade my freedom and the freedom of my newly adopted child in exchange for American Visas for themselves and their family members whose lives were at risk of being assassinated. It was all over CNN. My congressmen got word to a US military ship that was doing training maneuvers off the coast of Italy and to make a very long story short, a secret rescue mission took place where myself, my adopted son, and other Americans were airlifted from the US embassy compound and taken back to their naval ship. My son was given emergency refugee status and I had no problem getting him into the states. If emergency refugee status could be granted to the orphans in Haiti, I believe they could be relocated immediately. It's a complex situation however, because there's a risk that some children are not actually orphans, but merely displaced from their parents in the midst of chaos. To give all those kids refugee status will require tough decisions. It will not be a "win win" situation for everyone. Hopefully the person in charge of that decision will be able to set tradition and bureaucracy aside and do what's best for the kids. My heart goes out to that person.
My adopted son is 16-years-old now and a wonderful young man. I can't imagine life without him. My family would graciously accept a Haitian child or sibling group in need of a family. It would be a bitter-sweet privilege. Unfortunately, because of my previous experience with foreign adoption, I predict government bureaucracy and lack of common sense won't allow it to be so easy. Sadly, children will die as a direct result of that- heartbreaking.
I am a nurse and ironically I work for the government. Even more ironically, my job is to provide nutrition education and food vouchers for families in need. I wish my tie to government provided me a head start to help the Haitian orphans who will die, but it’s just not that simple. If anyone becomes aware of a Haitian child in need of a home, temporary or permanent, my email address is somethingtobelievein at live dot com. And yeah, I know it’s “just not that simple”, but then again sometimes the impossible happens.

Wow, DMCarlisle, your story is amazing. What incredible courage you must have had facing what you did. Your love for your DS must be all that more amazing.

My heart goes out for all in Haiti, and especially the children and families that were so close to getting a chance of a new life.

OP here, I'm still reading and praying. I appreciate all your comments, and the stories are so heartfelt. I'm another one where if someone would just say, "Come and get 'em", I'd be there in a split second. The needs of a child should come before any beaucracy/government/military/etc. I just feel SO strongly about these children needing us!

Keep the ideas/thoughts coming.

Terri

Even if we could get around US red tape, the Haitian government would have to agree, and they may not be willing to. It's a great idea and I'd take in a child (or two) myself if given the chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter