• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haircut

ldbrennan1217

Earning My Ears
Planning on getting my grandsons first haircut at Harmony Barber Shop. Has anyone done this?
Pros and cons ?

Nearly all of us have done this! The boys both when they were small, and last year my 29yo DS did. I also had my lock of love cut done there last year.

I have my son's first haircut scheduled for November 19. Woohoo! For $19, even if the cut is awful, it's worth it for the "extras" and experience.

One important thing to remember at the MK Barber Shop. When they removed the old antique cash register and put in a terminal to allow use of credit cards and hotel charges and the like they hooked into The Emporium's network. The register, unlike ones in table service restaurants, cannot handle tips as part of the transaction.

So if you are planning on using the Harmony Barber Shop please be aware that if you are using any sort of card you cannot add a tip on the card and should have cash available for tipping.

Both my DDs had their first haircuts there, and they loved it. They got lots of attention and stickers, and blew bubbles. The ladies really took their time and were careful to understand what I wanted before they cut anything. The girls were really impressed with the glitter in their hair too.

I have the ear hats and locks of hair on shelves in their room, with the framed certificates underneath. I'm really glad we did it. It was well worth the money. For about the same price as a Super Cuts at home, it was awesome. We got wonderful pictures and great souvenirs.

The only problem is my DDs are horrified that I would even think of getting their little brother's first haircut anywhere but Disney World! So ... his hair is waiting until we go back, which is actually fine with me. ;)

My DH actually got a haircut at the same time, because the chair was empty and he needed one! He enjoyed talking to his barber too, who did ask if he'd like glitter to match. :lmao:

Haha That's cute, Mama. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to it now even more. :)

Thanks for the heads up, CheshireFigment. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Cheshire Figment - thanks for the heads up about the tip. I was planning to use a gift card, so it is good to know so we are prepared.

Our son is scheduled on September 6. We can't wait for the pictures and video memories!

Is there a photopass photographer here by chance? Just scheduled my son's first haircut for October and I'm so excited!!

We had our DS's first haircut there when he was 15 months. I will say while the cast members are wonderful DS cried the whole time - I think we were unrealistic in assuming he would somehow "realize" he was getting his hair cut in this magical place and love it. Every other kid in the place was an angel but DS screamed his way through the few snips they were able to get in.

That was totally DS's personality at the time though, and we just had unrealistic expectations is all. The cast members were great and honestly the pictures are kind of cute even though he's crying - we can tease him about it someday when he's older, right?

We did it also when dS was 7 months. Best thing ever! They do a great job of distracting with stickers and toys and honestly he hasnt had a comparable haircut since!
Its well worth the 20 bucks. Just make an appointment because they do take walk in business but appointments will come first.

My son had his first haircut at Harmony when he was 11 months old. The barber was great. Make sure to bring cash for a tip and your camera!

We had DS's first haircut there on his first trip at a year old, and it was fantastic! A little pricey for a kids cut, but it was a really special moment for our trip. Absolutely worth it. The only con I would say is that for a very young child there is nothing to hold them into the seat. But that was not a problem for us, as DS sat pretty still. We had his hair cut there again last year at 2 years old and he cried a bit at the beginning, but then he was okay (I think he just doesn't like his hair being sprayed with the water bottle!).

Both CM's we have had for DS's cuts were really great and had lots of ways to keep the kids entertained in the chair. Also, they have a process for wrapping up the first lock of hair for you to keep! I had brought a Ziploc bag with me just in case, but didn't need it.

Is there a photopass photographer here by chance? Just scheduled my son's first haircut for October and I'm so excited!!

It's either a hit or miss thing, or they now have Photopass photographers in there, I'm not sure which. There was not one for DS's first hair cut in November 2011, but there was one last year in October 2012. He placed a card at each station and would snap pictures of each child, scan the card, then move on to the next. But I still had pictures of both other kids getting their cuts on my account when I got home to view the pictures. :confused3 But I just deleted those before ordering my CD. He got some really great photos of DS interacting with the CM once he loosened up and stopped crying.

We had our kids' hair cut there last year and they did a fine job.

PP photographer made it in for my daughter's cut (she went second).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter