• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hair Wrap Caution

LKS

DIS Veteran
My 8 year old daughter got a hair wrap in June and it was really cute so we left it in until last week. I cut it off, leaving a piece of hair about 1.5 inches long, but that's not the real problem. The problem is that the wrap was put in right by her part and now she has a bald spot about the size of my little fingernail. I sure hope the hair grows back there. I think it was caused by adjacent hairs getting caught on the wrap and then pulled out from the scalp. Our hairdresser said that all wraps should be put in UNDER the hair, and not on top at the part.

I've always had mine done underneath. If she has a bald spot I'm sure it'll grow back. It might look a little funny for a while though. I'm sure it'll be okay. :)

Similar situation happened with my youngest daughter, but her bald spot was almost the size of a quarter. Her very fine and thin hair lasted less than 2 days in the wrap.

I really wished my DM had not had it put on top, but rather by the neck.

Definitely do the wrap underneath because my dd (9) just had to have hers cut out of her hair that we got in June and we now have to "hide" the unsightly piece of hair growing back right on top of her head. Next time, we'll do it underneath for sure!!

We do not have any luck with these. Everytime my girls have it done it lasts two or three days and falls right out. I don't know if it is the texture of the hair or what but it is very depressing to spend $40 buck and then have it fall out before we even get home.

Always get the wrap underneath the hair, it is easier to wash and if you need to cut it off it is not noticeable. We only had one good wrap that lasted a month - all of the others fell out within a week of returning home.

Thanks for the warning, and I agree, it's a much better idea to have the hair wrap done underneath the hair in the back rather than on top of the head. :)

My daughter always gets hers underneath as well. We've had pretty good luck with them and they usually last a good 4-6 weeks. We've just found that you have to be really careful when combing and washing the hair.

My DD3 had a hair wrap that fell out. This left a bald spot about the size of a nickel. That was in January and I don't remember exactly at what point could you not tell there was a bald spot. I can say that it isn't there anymore. Hope that helps a little. My DD has average thickness of hair and it was not real noticeable while the hair was growing back in. Next we will surely get it underneath.

I'm a hairdresser. Her hair should grow back. Unless the follicle was damaged which usually only happens when there is trama, getting pulled out hard or a cut or surgery. The average hair growth is 1/2 inch a month. It has to grow under the scalp first then it will come up. It will get like peach fuss at first then it will stick straight up, be patient it will get there.Good luck

Instead of cutting the whole piece off entirely, I take a straight-edge razor and cut down the side (where the thread extends out from each side). Although my dd usually looses some hair when I do this, all that hair is not lost. I never even thought to cut the whole thing off. Worse that will happen is that you may have some uneven pieces not bald spots.
Also, you can buy the hair wraps at Toys R Us. You can get about 5-8 wraps out of the package-incl. little charms for under $10.
I have one and I do my dd hair myself prior to our trips.

I am confident it will grow back, and yes, the little short piece does look funny too. But, JS, there is definitely a bald spot adjacent to the short hairs left from cutting the wrap off. I know my daughter's wrap was in to stay. I wouldn't have been happy if it fell out as soon as we got home.

lks, I agree with you I wasn't saying there wasn't a bald spot just that I never cut the whole thing off just use a razor down the side to get the stuff off.

lks, I agree with you I wasn't saying there wasn't a bald spot just that I never cut the whole thing off just use a razor down the side to get the stuff off.

This happened to me a few years ago. Luckily, I did it on the under-side of my hair....not near the part. It didn't take long to grow back, though.

You can buy the string and wrap the hair yourself its easy to do just practice a few times before you are going to leave for vacation. The string can be cut at the bottom where there is not any hair and unwind it ,thats what i did for my dd's hair when she liked wraps. It is cheaper too:D :D

Why you would leave something in a childs hair that long doesn't their hair get very dirty if left that long even if you washed the hair around it? I mean I could see leaving it in for a few days at top then putting it back in after it was washed.

My daughter's wrap even had white as one of the colors and it stayed perfectly clean for the whole 2 months it was in. I wouldn't have left it otherwise. She swam swim team all summer with it and it looked great. No worries about dirty hair. That hair was wrapped so well nothing short of a mud fight could have dirtied it, and I figure the wrap would have had to get dirty before the hair could get dirty. We cut it off (leaving 2" hair) and the hair is now inside the wrap that she is keeping as a memento.

I got the Klutz Hair Wraps book at Target this weekend on clearance for $6.70. I'm going to try my hand at it before we go on our trip. Maybe even put a wrap in my hair too. :o :p :D

I get a hairwrap everytime I visit Ocean City, MD - at least twice a year. (BTW - I'll be 28 on Wed, 9/25 - just so you understand I'm an adult) I asked the first time how long it would last, how to take it out, etc. before I decided where to put it and knew it would be best to have it under and usually near my ear (so when I put my hair in a ponytail, I could still show it either in the ponytail or hanging down). I have been able to leave mine in for upwards of 4 months with no problems (other than the occasional comb/brush pull). :rolleyes: I just cut it when I can see my hair hanging down on it - and I cut it just above where the wrap starts.

I do understand that children will get tired of having it there and all the other kinds of problems children (and their parents) will run into - just wanted to add my 2 cents! It will take a while to grow back, but if you have it underneath as opposed to the top, it shouldn't be noticeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter