Hair stylist jailed for opening her shop, then released

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand this she was jailed for contempt because she would not apologize in front of the judge. The 7 days of jail time was not for opening the salon, she got a monetary fine for that but the judge ordered her to apologize or face jail time and she refused. I am glad she is out. Putting her in jail while releasing other inmates was not a good move.

As I understand this she was jailed for contempt because she would not apologize in front of the judge. The 7 days of jail time was not for opening the salon, she got a monetary fine for that but the judge ordered her to apologize or face jail time and she refused. I am glad she is out. Putting her in jail while releasing other inmates was not a good move.

She was jailed for not apologizing? That is even a more insane reason to be put in jail.

I live in NY, we let offenders walk without any jail time if they can't afford bail, and we've released a bunch or real criminals to protect their health. I find jailing this woman for either opening or not apologizing appalling. Fine her and be done with it but lock her up? That is insane IMO.

I feel terribly for her and her family for the way she was treated while the same jail released criminals due to covid.
The go-fund for her stopped taking donations after they hit $500,000.
Hope her salon and stylists have great success in the future.

What a ridiculous abuse of power. She either committed an act that warranted detention or she didn’t. Where is common sense, or I dare say- justice? :sad2: Just what we need - another reminder that the whole world’s gone mad.

Lots of people commit acts that warrant detention, but individual circumstances are given import. Sometimes it's not fair, but that is what happens when we decide as a society to give judges discretion. I think it's ok as long there is no systemic discrimination.

Lots of people commit acts that warrant detention, but individual circumstances are given import. Sometimes it's not fair, but that is what happens when we decide as a society to give judges discretion. I think it's ok as long there is no systemic discrimination.
So in your opinion her treatment was just?

She tore up the stop and desist letter from the court in public.
The judge gave her an out and she declined.
I can think of a lot more important people to give 500K to than this seriously entitled person who just couldn't wait 2-3 more days for the announced opening to happen.

ETA: as for the actions of the governor? Pure politics.

I can think of a lot more important people to give 500K to than this seriously entitled person who just couldn't wait 2-3 more days for the announced opening to happen.

I agree with every word you said.

Though it is being framed that way by some, she was not jailed for opening her business.

What motivated this judge's actions?

There will always be politics even in times like this, that's a shame. There is a pandemic out there folks. Let's think of our families, neighbors, state, country and stay cool headed. If we look out for each other, we can get through this. If not, we're in for a very long Winter.

She was jailed for not apologizing? That is even a more insane reason to be put in jail.

I live in NY, we let offenders walk without any jail time if they can't afford bail, and we've released a bunch or real criminals to protect their health. I find jailing this woman for either opening or not apologizing appalling. Fine her and be done with it but lock her up? That is insane IMO.
Yes, she was - apparently the judge has a history of making these types of decisions - God Bless the fact that she didn't get the virus in the prison, where there WAS currently an outbreak -

It is about respect for the judge and our legal system, you know, our laws?
I think good for him, accountably seems like something she does not have.
It is not a small thing. That is why the laws were put in place. She is not above the laws in his courtroom.

I agree that no one is above the law, but do you think throwing her in jail ( she has young children btw, and wasn't even allowed to call them that night from prison) where there is currently an outbreak of Covid-19, was a good idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter