Hair question for the ladies out there...

KapBoy77

Mouseketeer
So last December we went to Disney World and we come from Canada.

Coming from a clearly different climate my wife's hair just lost control. While I found it amusing and funny she did not. :)

We are going again this December and all she seems to be worried about is how her hair is going to react this time. She asked me if I could ask "those Disney people I hang out with" if anyone had advice or pointers that they use to control out of control hair.

I told her I'd ask and well that's what I'm doing now.

I'm not quite sure if this is an isolated incident or if this has happened to any of you out there but any help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

So last December we went to Disney World and we come from Canada.

Coming from a clearly different climate my wife's hair just lost control. While I found it amusing and funny she did not. :)

We are going again this December and all she seems to be worried about is how her hair is going to react this time. She asked me if I could ask "those Disney people I hang out with on my laptop" if anyone had advice or pointers that they use to control out of control hair.

I told her I'd ask and well that's what I'm doing now.

I'm not quite sure if this is an isolated incident or if this has happened to any of you out there but any help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

I should think it's the humidity. My DW has this too. she has curly hair and I learnt very fast the hard way ( a meal in silence in the olive garden ) it's not for me to laugh at ( lol ) we have a product in the UK called frizz ease you might have something like this? That helps. Also now she ties her hair in a pony tail to 'contain the beast' lol...I have straight hair and it doesn't happen to mine.

Also a baseball cap. Plenty of conditioner. Other women may offer other tips?

It's definitely the humidity. My hair does not react well so a pony tail is usually the best option for me. I've heard some folks have had success with getting a Brazilian blow out before hand which apparently lasts a few weeks and helps with the frizz. Never tried it myself though

I have very coarse, curly, frizzy hair. Sometimes it helps if I put gel in my hair after I wash it. There are lots of anti-frizz products in the drugstores. But its pretty much a losing battle!! She will need a hat or ponytail holder or headband. Also, maybe she shouldn't wash her hair every day of the trip. Slightly "not clean" hair behaves better!

It is the humidity. I have curly hair which I straighten but in Florida it doubles in volume during the day as it absorbs moisture. I just tie mine back for the duration of the holiday

I have been to Florida multiple times of the year and I have hair that is not curly, but needs to be straightened to be worn down and it is also very thick. Unfortunately, my only solution is a ponytail, braid or a bun unless I want to look like I have a giant cotton ball on my head! I usually don't even bother to pack a straightener.

It's the humidity. Do you remember the "big hair" look in the 80s? Well, that's me when it's really humid. I haven't tried the anti-friz products so I can't speak to how well they work.

I usually just use extra hair gel and/or a pony tail to keep it under control. If I wear my hair down, which is what I prefer, then I don't comb my hair after putting the hair gel it. I let it dry naturally. Blowing drying my hair just makes it "bigger" in the long run. When I wear my hair in a pony tail I put the hair gel in and put it up before it dries.

DD11 has really, really, long straight hair, except when it's humid. She prefers wearing one single braid instead of using hair products.

Is your wife's hair such that she could wear it in a braid? A nice tight french braid might even last a couple of days.

ETA: I haven't tried it, but a lot of people swear by coconut oil for their hair. I don't know if this would help your wife, but it might be worth looking up.

I have very curly hair. It is soft, not coarse, and falls in spirals. It is cut a bit below my chin right now in a soft bob, but have worn it longer. I use a product called Climate Control by Ouidad for styling. This is by far the absolute best product I have ever used. I have used it for years (after much failure with other products). We live in a humid climate and I don't ever have issues with frizziness here at home or at WDW. Not anywhere else for that matter. I apply it after I wash my hair and let it air dry as long as possible. I then use a diffuser for about 10 minutes and I am ready to go. You can buy Ouidad products online from their site. I believe the website also has a diagnostic questionnaire that helps to determine the best products for particular curly hair types. They also do samples, I believe. Sephora also carries Ouidad and there are Ouidad salons in the US (not sure about Canada) that specialize in cutting curly hair (the flagship is in New York). And, a little interesting trivia...Ouidad is actually a woman with very curly hair who, after having a terrible time finding products/good cuts for her hair, developed her own. The rest is history, as they say. Good luck to you and your wife!

Frizz Ease is the best. I use a cream that you put on after your hair is dry. I have straight hair but still fizzes up from the humidity. I am an East Coaster, so I use this all year as does my husband for his curly hair. I would also try a leave in conditioner and pull the hair back when it is still wet. There are lots of cute "wet hair" styles. you can check the web. Here is the link to the Frizz Ease products:

http://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/Pro...d=5626100669&gclid=CIzri6PiyrgCFRIaOgod2gIA_w

If it doesn't work just type in Frizz Ease in Google and go from there. They have shampoos and conditioners as well. Not expensive either.

One thing don't suggest she does a 'GI Jane' like Demi Moore did. I did this and let me tell you those Disney corridors are not comfortable places to sleep lol..

The de-frizzing products work great in my hair, but I find that you have to be careful to not overdo it. Also, no matter what, it leaves my hair feeling sticky & knotty after a day of sweating in the heat & sun & wet on & off due to weather or rides.

I inevitably just use a great frizz controlling leave in conditioner & rock the braids/ponytail.

My hair is that awful combination of wavy and frizzy that does not agree with humidity. I use a tiny amount hair smoothing oil to keep it from frizzing too much and a texture spray to make the waves look more intentional. Then I put it back in a clip or hair band so it's out of my face.

I have naturally curly hair so don't even attempt to straighten it while in FL. I use biolage hydro foam styler mousse & it keeps my hair frizz free & in place :)

I, too, have really wavy bordering on curly hair and I have used Shea Butter Oil by the company Organix. You can get it at any drug store. Really helps with the poofyness. Apply it when hair is freshly washed and still wet. Coat the ends first and then work the rest into the rest of your hair.

I have really frizzy/curly hair which needs to be blow dried straight then have straighteners through it if I want it to be under control. In Florida I tend to tie my hair up a lot but sometimes feel it takes too long in the morning so this year on most days I will be blow drying my hair, tying it up in a higher ponytail then winding it through my hair 'donut'. This thing is seriously the best thing I have had in years for my hair, it keeps it all together and stops the frizzing and it looks good too! Goodbye frizzy hell ponytails, hello tidy, smooth oversized bun!! Get your DW to look up videos of it on youtube, if her hair is long enough I highly recommend!! :)

I have wavy/somewhat curly hair that tends to frizz like nobody's business. It doesn't really matter what I put on it, it's gonna frizz.

Before we went to Disney World, I had a keratin treatment (similar to the Brazilian blowout) called Pravanna Perfection Smoothout. It didn't straighten my hair too much, but it took all the frizz out. It worked beautifully and I would recommend a keratin treatment (or blowout, if that's what's available). You don't have to mess with product in your hair, it's faster to dry, it lasts for about three months or longer depending on how often you shampoo your hair.

Only downside is the expense- Brazilian blowouts are more expensive than the semi-permanent keratin treatments. I got the latter and it was about $175, although my hair is long- down to my tailbone.

Even though I bring it with me, my flat iron pretty much doesn't get used when we go to Disney. Like others said, no point. The second I step outside, it poofs up.

I agree about the coconut oil--she should do one of two things with it:

1. About 30 minutes prior to showering, rub it in her hair until she's a greasy mess. Clip it up and leave it in for a half hour or so. Then hop in the shower and wash/condition as usual (I always leave my conditioner in several minutes in the shower too).

2. If she doesn't have that much time, she can put the coconut oil in while in the shower, leave it in for a few minutes, and then wash/condition.

It won't work miracles, but it definitely helps a lot! I swear by the stuff. It's great for sunburns too. :)

Otherwise, while at Disney I just deal with frizzier hair than normal (hey, everyone else is rocking it, so why not me too?), or I put it in a braid. A hat works as well.

Best of luck to her. I feel her pain, but just remind her that she is not going to be the only one with less-than-perfect hair there!

:thumbsup2 me too!
It is the humidity. I have curly hair which I straighten but in Florida it doubles in volume during the day as it absorbs moisture. I just tie mine back for the duration of the holiday

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl: hilarious!
I should think it's the humidity. My DW has this too. she has curly hair and I learnt very fast the hard way ( a meal in silence in the olive garden ) it's not for me to laugh at ( lol )

Not true, not for my hair anyway. Mousse does not help at all. In disney, I just put it up in a pony tail the whole trip. No point in leaving it down when i know A) I will be sweating at the back of my neck, and B) it will look disastrous anyway from the humidity and the wind from the rides!

Frizz ease is great!

Also, going very old school --Mousse -- just enough in wet hair --will keep the frizz down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter