Hair dryer?

Kalypso

Mouseketeer
I know this is a topic that has been covered before...but what kind of extension cord do I need to pack for my hair dryer? I understand the hair dryers on the ship are not very powerful....

Do I need a special extension cord to use my own?

Mine seemed to work just fine, but I have heard that some may have a problem. I have a conair if it makes any difference.

I was sorry that I dragged my own hair dryer on the ship last month. I was in cabin 6042 and the hair dryer in the bathroom there was definitely strong enough to dry my hair. It wasn't the absolute best blow dryer but it was much better than I had anticipated. The only problem was that as you were using it, it would heat up pretty high, so I ended up wrapping a towel around it, and then it was fine.

As for bringing your own, you can plug it in over by the desk area, in front of the mirror, but bring a regular household extension cord, with a regular end on it. The outlet does take 3 prongs, but its very low on the desk, so if your blowdryer has one of those large square ends on it, like mine does, it wouldn't fit. With a regular household extension cord (I brought one of those white ones that they sell everywhere), you could plug that into the outlet, then plug your blow dryer into the extension cord. (Hope I am explaining this correctly. lol).

I won't bother dragging my blow dryer again, but my hair is medium, not very thick. If you had very long or thick hair, maybe you'd want your own.

Thank you much! This helps a lot! So...if I just use my white household extension cord (which I did in fact pack :)) -- it only has a two prong end - it will still work, right?

Signed,
Electrically Challenged in Los Angeles :)

Yep it should work fine.

Why do you need an extension cord again? Is it to overcome the low set outlet which SeaSpray mentioned? It IS too low to accomodate most GFI plugs on the end of hair dryers.

Keep in mind blow dryers need a lot of current. This is why the outlet in the lav sometimes isn't enough. The extension cord should be decent enough quality to handle the dryer...otherwise it gets hot and can melt the molded plastic on the thing.

Thanks everybody - I think the extension cord is because of how the outlet is placed, yes.

And I'll be sure to watch the heat! :eek:

If you have room for the hair dryer and extension cord, take it.
The dryer in the cabin is your standard 1500 watt hotel wall mount dryer.
My DD 13 has LONG THICK hair, and it dryed her hair in less than 10 minutes, in fact, she said the air it put out was too hot.
But others must have some KILLER hair dryers at home because they have felt the in cabin dryers were wimpy compared to what the use at home.

If you don't want to pack an extention cord, they will check them out to you at guest services. I found this out while getting a stroller. After all my research on the boards I never heard that one. They require a $20 deposit that is refunded when returned.:)

When I was on the Wonder in 8/01, I found the dryer got too hot for me. I have a sensitive scalp and there was no temperature control on the Wonder dryer. However, it did a great job on quick drying a spot I had to clean from a shirt. I'm bringing my own hair dryer and extension cord.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter