Hair Braiding

ImMarcik

<font color=teal>That's what I get for coming up w
Can anyone who has had the hair braiding tell me about it? Is it done on the ship or at Castaway Cay? I think I've read there is another option too besides braiding, possibly rubber bands? How much on average would a DD with shoulder length thick hair have to pay? My DD will be 12, is this the thing for this age? I think it would be so easy for her to not have to fix her hair everyday. But, I will let her decide if she wants it or not.

::MinnieMo

Hi, you can get it done on the ship, or on CC. As well as most islands the ship stops at...I prefer the ship for cleanliness. If this is your intention, it is best to book it immediately upon boarding, or when they first accept appointments!!!

We always do this for my daughter..It is easy after that....Just make sure to remember the suncreen between the rows, as the scalp is highly sensitive...My daughter's hair was 45$ whole head, and 25$ for just the top, like a headband idea...She has long long thick hair..THe cost goes by braid..e.x 2$ per braid.....

I think it is quite the thing for the girls...All ages included.. :goodvibes

On our first cruise, we waited for CC, and waited 2 hours in line...In the hot :sunny: Never again....

HTH :goodvibes

Thank you for the reply. I rather do it on the ship. I was wondering how we book it. So, since I will be able to book most everything before now, I should go book that first off. Also, I wanted to get it done way before CC day if possible so she could enjoy the benefits. I wonder how it will look in pictures though. I bet if all the girls have it she will want it. I will be loving that she doesnt have to fix her hair.

:cheer2:

ImMarcik said:
Can anyone who has had the hair braiding tell me about it? Is it done on the ship or at Castaway Cay? I think I've read there is another option too besides braiding, possibly rubber bands? How much on average would a DD with shoulder length thick hair have to pay? My DD will be 12, is this the thing for this age? I think it would be so easy for her to not have to fix her hair everyday. But, I will let her decide if she wants it or not.

::MinnieMo

Hi! Good questions!
You can have it done on the ship or on Castaway Cay. There are also many, many opportunities to have it done in port. We wanted to have it done by "Disney" though.

You make appointments for hair braiding on the ship in Mickey's Mates (or is it Treasure Ketch I get them confused!) Anyway, one of the stores. There will be a notice in the Navigator about it, or check with Guest Services. For Castaway Cay, we had to go in when the store opened on the sea day before our CC stop. There was already a line of people waiting to make appointments! You don't *have* to make an appointment, but I would recommend it, so that you don't waste your precious Castaway Cay time waiting in line for the next available hair braider.

By the end of the cruise, it seemed like every female under the age of 15 (and many older!) had braids of some sort. I was glad that my girls waited until the end of our cruise (Friday/Castaway Cay day) so that it would last a little longer. By the end of the week, some of the girls were looking a little ratty, and I even heard one girl getting hers RE-done at Castaway Cay (and paying again!) because it had started unraveling.

I don't remember the exact prices -- I want to say that it is $2/cornrow or $3/braid, and there is an extra charge for long hair. A cornrow is when they braid along the scalp. A braid is just a braid extending from the head. If you do a cornrow that ends in a long braid, it's going to be the $2 + $3. Its very hard to explain if you can't visualize it. If you PM me, I can send you a picture of my girls. I don't know how to post it here.

My girls got a half head of cornrows -- it almost looks like their hair is pulled back in a headband of beads. It was $50 for each -- that included tip. It would be at least twice as much for full head or longer hair.

It is expensive, and it does hurt. One of my girls (they are 10) was actually crying, although I could tell the braider was trying to be gentle. The other didn't cry, but I could tell it wasn't pleasant. They both really liked it when it was done, though, and it was a fun souvenier of the trip. One dd left hers in only a week after we got back, the other kept hers for 3 weeks.

ImMarcik said:
Thank you for the reply. I rather do it on the ship. I was wondering how we book it. So, since I will be able to book most everything before now, I should go book that first off. Also, I wanted to get it done way before CC day if possible so she could enjoy the benefits. I wonder how it will look in pictures though. I bet if all the girls have it she will want it. I will be loving that she doesnt have to fix her hair.

:cheer2:

Usually it is in the navigator..One time it was in Mickey's Mates, then it seemed to be, that it was in Preludes, the snack center, just after the stores!!!!! IT looks gorgeous in photos, especially tanned...Most girls do have it, it is quite the in thing... :earseek: The appointments go so quickly, and you see some very dissapointed faces during the week, hoping for a cancellation....I love to have it done first thing in the AM, as my daughter is a little more tough at this time, because it does hurt, and then she does not miss any pool time...

Let me give you another version, I didnt do it on the ship I did mine in Nassu never again will i braid my hair like that we ened up having to cut my hair parts to get it out
It took 3 1/2 hours to put in and take out and I only did the top half of my head like a headband. it also took just as long to take out because it all knotted. I dont know if this is the case when done on the ship I didnt know you had to sign up on the first day so when i saw them braiding before i got mine done i asked and their was a long line... so if your going to do this for yourself or your dauter make reservations when the sign up is do not go to nassua and do it freeports was a little better (my cousin waited until freeport and did it thier) it only took like a half hour.

My girls had their hair braided at Castaway. Got there early enough, there was no line. It is painful for tender scalps- but my 5 yr old didn't shed a tear- she had been looking foward to this for a long time!! :flower:

We made our reservations in March on the Wonder right where the women braid hair. And an FYI: For us, a lot of time was wasted looking for the location. This was our very first cruise and we didn't know where it was. It is on Deck 10 in the front of the ship near the basketball hoops. It is inside where the elevators are located.

Also, remember to put sunscreen on her head. It's a pain, but well worth it.

Well, being such a huge cheapskate, I watched one day as they braided hair and then went home and practiced on my daughters until I got as good at it as the professionals were.

We sit down with a bowl of popcorn and a movie, I sit behind them and braid it up. Sometimes I use glittery hair 'glue' in gold and silver, too. I figure, there are so many more things that I can spend 100 dollars on than an ephemeral hairdo!

The girls totally agree, and they get a kick of getting to Disney already with the hair.

I agree with the sunscreen, but use spray on sunscreen, it's less greasy and covers better. Don't forget the tops of the ears and the back of the neck, two spots usually covered with kids with long hair.

Also, put a bandanna or scarf on your kid's head when she goes to sleep so she doesn't scrub the back of her braids on her pillow when she sleeps. That makes a HUGE difference in how long the braids last.

We had our DD hair done here in NH before we left on the cruise ~ I took pics to our hairdresser and she told me who to go see. The woman sat with DD and discussed all the COOL ways to do her hair - so that she would stand out and not feel that she missed something. So the hairdresser created a zig zag pattern all around her head with the cornrows - it was amazing - even the braiders on the ship / cc and ports stopped her to see how it was done. The great news was it was only $30.00 here!

I had mine done at CC and it was so tight I had to take it out due to a HEADBANGING headache!

We were on the Wonder cruise 5/8- 5/12. I got my hair braided on CC in the early afternoon. There was no wait and it cost $35 including tip. I have long hair and I just got the front done, left out the bangs. I received many compliments. It hurt- took about 45 minutes- I'm a big kid (38 to be exact) but it was and is so nice to not have to fuss with my hair and bring alittle vacation back home with me! Either place should be fine, my experience on CC was just fine!

Okay, I think I may have figured out how to post a picture of the girls and their hair braiding. Let's hope it works! They got theirs done on Castaway Cay and this picture was taken right afterwards. P.S. Their hair is wet becasue they went back in the water after getting the braids. They only have cornrows in the front, with beads like a headband over the top of their head. One got diagonal rows while the other just got them straight back from her forehead.

66360twins10.jpg

I walked up to the braiders on the ship the day before CC and asked if they could do my daughters hair...they said sure, just wait for htem to finish the girl they were working on. I didn't even know thye had appointments LOL...but they must have still had openings because they did my daughter right then and there.

My daughter (4) and I (38) had our hair braided in the "headband" fashion on the Magic. It was under 30.00 each for each of us but I can't remember exactly how much now. I think I was 26.00 and I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair. I knew we were going to do this, so I told her ahead of time(weeks ahead). I told her to expect the lady to have to tug and twist her hair. Someone suggested I give her a bowl of ice cream to eat while she was having her braids done. It worked very well. Having our hair braided on the boat is one of my favorite memories.

I somehow forgot to book braiding the first day so I asked at the braiding station for an appointment and was given one.

To remove the braids less painfully and without as much tangles, douse your hair in conditioner and let it soak in there before snipping the rubber bands and unravelling your braids.

I don't think I looked even a fraction as cute as my daughter but having the hair off my face was worth it.

An alternative to the braids is the hair wrap. My daughter had one done on the ship, it was $1.50 per inch. She has shoulder length hair and the cost was $23. She did not want her hair braided but loves this wrap.

Sorry, I'm not sure what a wrap is. Is this where they wrap different colored string around a small section of hair? My daughters had 1 wrap put on the side of their head at a fair. I think it cost $5. I'm I thinking of the same thing? How many wraps did your daughter get for $23? Thanks!!!!! :flower:

Just one and that's exactly what it is, embroidery thread wrapped around a small portion hair and a few small beads at the bottom. She was very pleased with it, I thought it was a bit pricey, but she didn't ask for much the whole trip and it was vacation.

East Coaster said:
An alternative to the braids is the hair wrap. My daughter had one done on the ship, it was $1.50 per inch. She has shoulder length hair and the cost was $23. She did not want her hair braided but loves this wrap.

I tried to have that done on the APril 30th cruise and they said they were not doign them on the ship. I would have much preferred to have that done than the couple brainds my daughter go..the braids look ratty after not very long but the last wrap my daughter had lasted her almost 2 months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter