Hair advice!

sazamophone

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

First time Disney-er here. I cut all my hair off (think shoulder length bob from mid-back!) at the start of this year, and am at the stage where I'm deciding whether or not to grow it out, or keep it short.

What I wanted to know is: in your experience, do you stay cooler in the Floridian heat with short hair, or with long hair tied back?

I have quite thick hair that tends to insulate the top of my head to melting levels, so advice would be appreciated!

I've always had long (ish) hair. I usually end up tying it back because it keeps all of the hair out of the way. Enjoy your trip!

I've done both and tend to like it better long enough to put in a pony tail. I have to wear a hat of some sort because of the sun, that is usually a ball cap type thing so I can pull the pony tail through the back.

My hair is to my waist when down with my bangs that I have been growing out for the past 7 months to the bottom of my jaw. My standard hot weather hairstyle is a french braid with the end tucked under though sometimes I will do a halo braid or some other style to keep it up. Depending on how much wind I have to deal with I wear either a hat or a headscarf for sun protection. I use those flat hair clips to hold on my headscarf.

Hair up in a pony is my go to look for the parks. It feels much cooler having the hair off of the back of your neck.

My hair is semi-long, and I don't recall ever wearing it loose at the parks--I always roll it into a bun or just do a ponytail.

I have always hated when I go to Disney World or any theme park for that matter with short hair!
It is hot, gets in the way, and ends up looking crazy after a little while or I get terrible hat hair.
I like it at least long enough that I can put it in a pony tail.

Long thick hair here. I always find that putting it in a pony tail, braid, or bun helps at the parks. I typically wear a hat so the thickness of my hair doesn't change heating of my head. If it is unbearable hot I may wet the bucket portion of the hat and wring it out then put it back on. Trick I learned for quickly cooling off in JROTC.

A bun on top of my head! We always go in Aug... I try to leave my hair down for a little for pics then it goes straight up! Hot hot hot

I guess it really depends on what time of year you are traveling. If you are going in the heat of the summer - doing anything to keep it off your neck or face is essential. So in that case i would opt for long enough to pull it up. If you are going in the winter (Nov - Feb) then you might not be as uncomfortable with hair being down. We did a December trip and it ended up being unseasonably warm when we went. Looking back -- pretty much every picture my hair was down. I don't have thick hair but it was below my shoulders.

My daughter and I both have long hair and swear by any sort of updo - ponytail, braids, bun, etc. If you are a ride person, hair that is down will be a rat's nest mighty quickly. And if you go during rainy season, you would have a whole drippy head of it, rather than just a wet pony.

I wear my hear down and all prettied up for our signature meal and that's it!

My hair is curly and a few inches below my shoulders, usually I pull it into a high bun, but on my trip last week I wore it down all day every day. For some reason my hair was behaving and didn't look too crazy! It was a hair miracle!

My hair is long now, and I don't bother putting it up at the parks. The only time I wear my hair up is at the gym!

I curl it now, and it stays pretty well. I started using Wen (now I use another brand but same thing only cheaper), and it helps keep it from frizzing up.

Even in August, it doesn't make that much difference.

I'd grow it out if you want. Don't cut it just for one trip! You can wear it down and bring a ponytail holder, then pull it up if you need to.

I have really thick hair. I've done long hair in a ponytail or braid, and it was okay. Now I have really short pixie cut, and it is awesome. Very cool and comfortable...and no more sunburns from parting my hair. Hats are definitely more comfortable with short hair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter