Hair Advice?

scottishduffy

<font color=green>I was walking around and providi
Alrighty,

The main question I have is how to keep hair looking decent overnight? I have a young daughter whose hair I blow dry at night after her bath. She likes her 'beauty salon' and I enjoy it as well. I will usually put some simple style to keep her hair out of her face and then will blow dry the back part straight to look nice. The only problem is that by the morning, it is halfway back to where it started.

I work a very early shift in the morning and thus my husband wakes up with her and gets her ready in the morning. So getting up early and drying it then isn't really an option.

I would just like for her hair to look halfway decent and not look like a lions mane. She has very wavy hair that is not quite curly, but not straight... usually turns into a poof ball (just like mine). Is there a product or something I can do at night to help? Something simple my husband could do in the morning? What do the DISmoms here do to keep your kids hair looking under control?

I would suggest flat ironing it as well. You can try those elastics that are not supposed to leave a crease as well. You may try a pillowcase that is supposed to help with hair too (satin?). But the flat iron will probably give you the most bang for your buck.

If she has wavy hair - you might try to embrace the curls. Read the curly girl book. It has a section on child curls.

http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Ha...TF8&qid=1387162013&sr=8-1&keywords=curly+girl

I feel for you and your daughter. I have hair just like that. No matter how straight it is at night, I wake up to a frizzy, wild mess and I use a flat iron. I'll be following this thread to see if anybody has a solution!

sleep standing up

Perhaps... would this contraption work?

5.jpg

On a more serious note, I may have to look into the flat iron. I was just worrying about that much heat damaging her hair, so was trying to use that as a last resort.

I will also have to look into curly girl. Her hair is just super wavy, and all the waves are at different places. My hair curls quite easily and I do that often, though it does contribute to the 'lions mane' effect.

Try to do a regular braid. You can do it off to the side. Make sure her hair is dry, use product before you dry it. In the morning, remove braid. It will have a nice wave. It should be uniform with the curl. You can run a shine product through it just real easy so you don't separate the hair to much causing frizz. Argon Oil is best. If you do use a straight iron, please by a really nice one. You also need to find a good protection product before you iron it. To be honest, I am a stylist and I have witnessed some really bad burnt, dry hair. Good luck.

Have you tried a loose braid? Then in the morning he can just take it out and brush it with a little smoothing product over it.

Flat iron would have just left my very thick curly hair very frizzy.

I could never blow dry my hair either just left it very frizzy an bushy AFRO

You will prolly think I nuts but try it some weekend or over the holidays when there is no school.

Before washing hair brush it get all the tangles out and loose hair.Wash hair and condition do not towel dry wrap hair in one of daddys old tshirts...do not rub hair. When you take hair out of shirt put detangler or smoothing gel on hair mess with the hair as little as possible an let it dry natural.

See if that doesn't help keep the hair from turning into a lions mane.

At night pull hair back loosely in pony tail an put another pony tail holder in loosely every 4 inches or so. Next morning take hair out of pony tail do not brush! Run fingers thru hair if it gets bushy spray with mixture of her conditioner an water run fingers thru hair an let it dry natural again. Maybe a little more smoothing gel.

Here is my cheap solution. I have hair similar to what you described your daughters. I use Suave sleek anti-frizz cream. It comes in a silver tube with an orange cap. It costs about 4
Bucks.

I also use it on my almost 2 year olds hair when I want it to look good. She is blessed with the same kind of hair.

It makes it smoother and softer without being a strong styling product.

I would reserve the flat iron for special occasions.

How often are you getting it cut? I recommend trimming every 6 weeks. It really helps with keeping it looking good.

What kind of hairstyle does she have? Perhaps you can get her a style that lends itself to easier maintenance?

I highly recommend finding her a good stylist that will help you in that dept.

I use a "blow dry anti frizz" product in my hair as well, as well as conditioner's.

My daughter has lost most of her curl, she does however still have quite a bit of wave. We ended up with a shorter hairstyle with bangs. Get lots of compliments. In the morning we spray it with detangler, brush it and are on our way. She's 5 not sure how old your little girl is.

I have naturally curly hair- not tight, ringlets curly but curly waves. My whole life I have tried to have naturally straight hair, I would get it thinned at the hairdressers but it would be just as thick a week later!!!!! I would wash my hair at night then blow dry it (my hair is so thick that it takes an hour alone to dry with the hairdryer!) but even then my hair would be straight but frizzy and HUGE!! So I would spend 15-20 mins straightening it and then I would wake up in the morning and have to straighten it again!!! Washing it in the morning wasn't an option because it would go frizzy- it was almost as if I had to sleep on it to calm it a bit.

I eventually gave up on the straight hair because even if my hair was perfectly straight, the slightest bit of rain or heat made it frizz up and look a mess.

I have since embraced my natural curls and have grown to LOVE it!! It is so convenient- I wash it at night and go to bed with it damp and its dry and curly/wavy the next morning. I don't use products whatsoever

So... I think you should try that one night.. have your daughter go to bed with damp hair (or let it air dry for a few hours before bed is just as good!) and see if she likes it in the morning :)

On a more serious note, I may have to look into the flat iron. I was just worrying about that much heat damaging her hair, so was trying to use that as a last resort. I will also have to look into curly girl. Her hair is just super wavy, and all the waves are at different places. My hair curls quite easily and I do that often, though it does contribute to the 'lions mane' effect.

You might find that her hair is actually curly, not wavy. I thought I had "wavy" hair too, but once I started following the curly girl method I actually have spiral curls.

When I was a girl I had long, thick, wavy hair that would be a bush in the morning. My Mom always braided it at night and then it was a whole lot easier to style in the am!:)

When I was younger, I used to sleep in rollers! It really worked though! This was when the "Rachel" haircut was popular to give you an idea of the style it would give me.

I would use Biolage setting spray, and large velcro rollers (the kind that stay in on their own). In the morning, I'd pull out the rollers, run a quick brush through my hair and be good to go!

Just an idea!

Right now her hair is about shoulder length with no bangs. The front half of her head the hair lays fairly straight. The back of her head is wavy/curly. I wash her hair about 3 times per week, use a heat protectant spray, then blow dry. Usually finishing off with a small amount of hair spray to keep things in place. I keep the front pulled back somehow (usually a twist braid, or topsy tails, sometimes a series of mini ponytails) and leave the back down.

I have ordered the curly girl book and it will arrive in a couple days. Also will look into products mentioned here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter