HailtotheVictors Pre-Trip (4/1-4/9 ) & Trip Report (4/9-4/18)

Thursday morning we were at Magic Kingdom by 8:30. We had fast passes to meet Mickey, Winnie the Pooh ride, and the Barnstormer. DS loved them all.(DSLR pics to be loaded later). We also were able to get some character pics with Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Minnie.

I did get a couple picks from our lunch reservation at the Plaza restaurant.

My lunch. Burger topped with Brisket and onions.
20150416_122554.jpg

My Dessert... I could feel my heart slow down a bit...
20150416_125111.jpg

DW had a milkshake, as did DS, although his was the sugar free option.

After lunch we headed back to the Fort for some doggie time and a little rest before heading to Animal Kingdom.

Side note:

tiggerdad: Just after we passed by "grumpyaggie" site we were not paying attention and came within an inch of running over one of your squirrels. We did have peanuts with us and thought about offering him a peace offering but seems they were salted we decided to move on.

Way behind on the report so I will try and wrap it up now.

Thursday:
Thursday afternoon/evening ended up being a relatively short strip to Animal Kingdom as the rain set in and we were pretty worn out on top of that. We did however do the jeep safari which everyone thought was great. I took some really nice pics with the DSLR but I do have a few phone pictures to share.

Ready to go to Animal Kingdom....looks like a fake smile to me!
20150416_155928_resized.jpg

We arrived at Animal Kingdom around 3:45pm...
20150416_162726_resized.jpg
Serious face about something???
20150416_162606_resized.jpg

We had seen these in the other parks...more importantly he had seen them and was not going to let us pass another one without getting it....
20150416_165403_resized.jpg

On the Safari...
20150416_173820_resized.jpg

Brayden with his Dinosaur... Standing next to a Dinosaur... We had to explain to him it was not real before he warmed up to it...
20150416_181037_resized.jpg
Character shots....
20150416_182833_resized.jpg
20150416_182844_resized.jpg

A selfie upon exiting..

20150416_183007_resized.jpg

This meant the end of our park days as well as the last day before we left. About this time I was already thinking about when we could schedule our next trip!!

One leftover from Thursday night. We had planned on making dinner at the RV but by the time we got back it was getting late so we decided to do the take out menu at Crockett's. The food was great and saved us some time and less of a mess to clean up the night before we were leaving.

Friday: Departure day.

The Plan: The plan was to leave around 7:30am and drive to "The Swamp" rest stop in Louisiana unless we were making good time, in which case we would drive straight through Plans change....

We ended up leaving pretty close to the planned time and did not have any problems checking out. I did however take a wrong turn heading out and ended up going down some back roads increasing our time to get to the highway. No big deal we were off and on the road. A little less than 2 hours in a tire lets go.... Fortunately it was a rear tire(Duals) and other than the loud boom you could not even tell the tire blew. A little nervousness as we took the first exit off the freeway and pulled into an abandoned gas station and took a look. Drivers side inner rear tire blew out the sidewall..almost a perfect hole. The tire never separated so everything was in good working order. Now the problem. We are in what appears to be a pretty remote town and we have to find a tire or get towed to a tire center(Some of you may know that cost..) Well first off is get a hold of the tire warranty people to get a claim started. My wife gets on the phone with the warranty company(not a fast process) while I go next door to an Auto Repair/Wrecker company to see if they know where the closest tire shop may be that carries RV tires.(They actually had an RV in the shop they were working on). The gentlemen I spoke to said the were no close tire shops(Verified by my google search). He did say that occasionally they change a locals RV tires and he remembered having some extras. We went to the back where he had a couple of tire racks and found the two tires he was looking for. Unfortunately they were the wrong size..... Now for the good part. He noticed another tire on the rack(only 1) that looked like an RV tire. We pulled it down and what do you know it's the right size.. : ) Now it gets a little complicated. The first thing I notice is the brand.."Summit". I personally have never heard of it. Well I know the warranty company has to approve any tires you put on. I did look at the ratings, load info, etc on the tire and it met and mostly exceeded the Good Years ratings. I don't like to skimp on tires so I was a little hesitant to even want to put this tire on. With that said I have had terrible luck with Good Year RV tires and I know others love them but my personal experience has not been great so I decided to do a little more research on the Summit tire after we notified the warranty company to check for approval on this tire. The warranty company and myself could not find much information on the tire and they said they would keep looking and call us back. In the mean time I kept looking and was able to find a little more info out about the tire as well as RV'ers who were running these tires. This made me marginally feel better. While looking through my phone I was pacing around and started noticing all the Wreckers(big and small) had Summit tires as well as the RV they were working on. It just so happens the owner of the RV had pulled up a short time ago to check on his Rig. I asked him about the tires and he said he started running them 10 years ago because they were cheap but also that he never has had a blow out with them. Obviously his experience could greatly vary from mine but my confidence grew a little that this tire could get us home. He also said he just returned from a 3,600 mile round trip on them...I only needed to get 900 out of it. Well I decided that I was okay with the tire going on now for the warranty approval. An hour later they called back. They never found "enough" information on the tire but because of the ratings of the tire the Supervisor approved it!!! Now to change the tire...
Did I mention this was a small place... They did not have a tire change/removal machine for this size tire so it was removed/installed manually... Oh boy. They struggled getting the new tire on and an hour later they got it on and installed it.
Then came time to pay. Did I mention this was a small place. The only person(s) who could ring me up (Husband and wife) had just gone to lunch while they were wrestling with the tire. So we sat another hour until they returned for a 2 minute transaction... : (. Through all that I was not very upset but more relieved that the blow out happened when it did, we exited safely and just so happened to find a tire at this small shop we pulled next to.
3-1/2 hours later we were back on the road!!
The rest of the trip went fairly well and never heard a peep from the new tire. We decided with our new travel time that we would stop at the rest stop at the Mississippi/Louisiana border for the night. We somehow ended up with a lot of black tank storage so we needed to dump while we were there. The rains moved in through the night while we were there and gone when we got up around 6am to leave. The problem is when I pulled up to the dump station in the morning the whole area was under water. So Plan B was to hit a dump station on the way home. That never happened and we still need to dump which will now have to wait until this weekend...

Overall the entire trip was great and we cannot wait to do it again. Hopefully by this weekend we will have some of the other camera pictures loaded and ready to post.

A welcome site...
20150418_110547_resized.jpg

Well...what can I say. I had a similar episode in 2012 while on property with repairs and missed out on a lot of park time. At least the bad luck waited until after the Disney visit was complete. Glad you made it home safe and sound

HttV,

First let me say you have a lovely family.

Second the tire episode, if it had to happen, turned out reasonably well all things considered. I could imagine several worse scenarios.

Third i am glad you made it home safely.

Thanks for sharing your spring fling with us.

Bama Ed

Glad you made it home safe, and sorry about the tire.

As our local wrecker service guy says "Nothings Easy" :crazy2:

324 looks like a really nice site, is it on a canal?

Glad you made it home safe, and sorry about the tire.

As our local wrecker service guy says "Nothings Easy" :crazy2:

324 looks like a really nice site, is it on a canal?

Yes 324 is on the Canal. The site was laid out perfect, ample room, good access to the canal, plenty of privacy and the concrete and gravel pads laid out well. It was highly recommended from some other sites and will certainly be my first choice in the future if we are able to get that lucky again. The dog walk along the canal was perfect we just stepped out the back of our site to walk the dogs.

HttV,

First let me say you have a lovely family.

Second the tire episode, if it had to happen, turned out reasonably well all things considered. I could imagine several worse scenarios.

Third i am glad you made it home safely.

Thanks for sharing your spring fling with us.

Bama Ed

Thank you for the compliment. We definitely lucked out with our tire issue.
Hopefully we will be sharing many more Fort/Disney trips in the future.

Tires can be a pain. You tow/RV long enough, it's going to happen. All in all, your episode went fairly well. And I have had a little experience with Summit tires. They are popular with the SUV/truck crowd around here. Decent, cheap tire. I thought mine wore a little faster than the Goodyear Marathons or the Hankooks I run now, but did much better than the Carlisles that came on the trailer.

And I'm with you on the Goodyear Marathons. They used to be one of the best on the market. About 5 or 6 years ago I started blowing them often. Total disentegration and I'm psycho about tire pressures. Had the same problem on one of the race team trailers. I switched to 12 ply Hankooks and they are doing great.

j

Rv resort is real nice and clean. Privacy is decent and have not had any problems. Sites are not huge but have plenty of room and are fairly deep. Good location with a nice beach access across the street.

how hard was it to cross the street with the little ones? Was there a light or crosswalk?

how hard was it to cross the street with the little ones? Was there a light or crosswalk?

Very easy to cross the street. This street is not busy and it is a very slow paced street. It even has speed bumps in certain sections. Think more of a subdivision road than a regular street. There is a light(might be a stop sign...) about 300 yards up the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter