Haggling lessons needed

You don't have to haggle just don't seem that interested. If you are really excited about a "find" they won't give in too much.

Pick up the item...look at it curiously...and inquire about the price. Put it back after you get a price as if you are not interested. Maybe make a comment about it being too expensive.

A lot of times you will find that a vendor is selling the same souvenirs as another vendor a "few doors down" or sometimes a few feet away. The vendors know this so walking away from their store can sometimes get you the best price or at least another reduction.

Have a price in your mind on what you want to pay before you ask and then try to get them to drop their price until it meets yours.

Sometimes the less you say the better because it shows a lack of interest.

Depending on the vendor this can be a fun thing to do.

Linda,
remind me about this when we meet on sunday because Greg loves doing that and he can tell you how he does it. He has got some great buys!!!

kathy

Definitely walk away! In fact, if it is early in your shopping, wait and go to other stores. This was my biggest mistake! I went in the 1st jewelry store in St. Martin, made a deal way too quickly and I was disappointed.

With jewelry, ask to see it in the sunlight!!!! That is why I was so disappointed, had I done this, I would have seen the flaw in the amethyst. Looking under the light in the store won't help.

I also need help with this. I feel so guilty if I haggle. I can't help but think of how some of the people live in the area.

Come in way low-see what their reaction is and adjust your price.

Have an end figure in mid and be prepared to walk away.

I've gotten some of my best bargains by walking away and then coming back later.

Sometimes you can get two for ones or an extra hat thrown in as well.

This happen with some Marley T-shirts- wanted $35 ea talked him down to $15, walked away, chatted with DH about the weather, went back and ended up with 2 for $20 plus a ball cap.

I felt a little ackward about this too at first. But then someone told me that the vendors are a bit offended when you don't participate in deal making, like you pity them so you give them full price.
So this is my approach. I know how much I'm willing to spend for an item. Ask them how much it is, which of course is usually ridculously high (i.e a dress I liked was $80). I put it back, like oh well, and tell them all I have is $X, which I have in my hand. The bidding begins, but I show them the money, I only have $X. Then I start to leave. They usually say 'hold on' and ask 'the boss', while they're talking I hold up the money and ask them if they want it because I have to get going. Trust me, they don't want you to walk out of their store with money in your hand. As I started walking out after offering them 'all the money I had', they were more than willing to sell me their $80 dress for $15.
Remember, US$ is worth a whole lot more in their country. $15US is a good deal of money for them.

In Nassau I was looking at a coach bag and a kate spade bag both with matching wallets, the women said $150, honestly we only had about $75.00 cash on hand. I decided to walk away and she went to $50.00! Yes I know they aren't real but up next to my real coach bag you really couldn't tell. I love them and the money I saved was well spent on other things.

We were in a market and my wife saw a dress she loved. The guy told me the price was $80. I said thanks and walked away. Before I got to the door the price dropped to $45. After more talking, we got it for $25.

The key to the deal is be prepared to walk out without it. Have a price in your mind that you want to pay. If they won't meet your price, walk out. As someone above said, the next guy will most likely have the same thing for a different price.

If you really do want it, you can always tell the guy you want to think about it, and then come back 15-30 mins later. By that time he'll think he has you hooked, but stick to you guns. When my wife and I bought the dress, we left the shop and came back 2 times. The first time he was still at $45, then 2nd time he was down to $30. My wife only wanted to spend $20, but at the end I didn't want $5 to be the reason she didn't get her dress.

The most important part of the entire process is for you to have fun. You're on vacation!

Jack

In Nassau I was looking at a coach bag and a kate spade bag both with matching wallets, the women said $150, honestly we only had about $75.00 cash on hand. I decided to walk away and she went to $50.00! Yes I know they aren't real but up next to my real coach bag you really couldn't tell. I love them and the money I saved was well spent on other things.

Can u tell me where this was please, we are going at the end of February and this is exactly what I am looking for

Thanks.

Can u tell me where this was please, we are going at the end of February and this is exactly what I am looking for

Thanks.

When you get off of the ship in Nassau and walk through the main building, pick up a map and look for the straw market (really close, just a few streets away) ... once you are inside, there are TONS of bags for sale ... I got a fake Chanel bag there and there are plenty ... again, shop around and do make deals with them, you will save money for sure.

kat

OK, so how much have people paid for the knock-off bags. I just saw some last month in Costa Maya and now I think I want to get one on our 2/3/07 cruise, but I have no idea what a reasonable price would be.
Thanks

Just a word of warning here... be very careful of the "bait and switch!"

We picked out t-shirts to bring home for gifts, negotiated a price, and then the vendor graciously offered to bag our items. She nonchalantly placed the t-shirts I was holding back on top of the piles and pulled neatly folded t-shirts from underneath the piles to place in the shopping bag for us. When we got home, we realized the t-shirts she gave us were made of a VERY thin (almost see-through) material, whereas the shirts we had picked out were of a good quality cotton. Never again will I allow anyone to switch items on me!

The Straw Market vendors we encountered were very aggressive. They will make you feel bad for walking away, even if they don't have anything you want. And, they also hone in on your children with compliments and offering them items to lure you in. We found the whole experience intimidating and have never been back to the Straw Market on subsequent cruises.

Walking out is certainly the best strategy.

In Cozumel while I was snoozing on the beach at Mr Sanchos, my wife, who speaks zero espanol was walking in and out of the shops seeing what they had.

Because she was trying to say she would come back with me to talk to them, all they saw was someone walking out.

they reduced their prices to less than 50% of every single thing she asked, and most now miraculously spoke enough english.

One lovely woman who did not, dropped her price but my wife wanted me to come back to ask her some questions first.

When we came back, there was another American gringa in the store, and the shopkeeper gave me the international "Please be quiet, I've got a live one here" sign. I waited until that woman was gone, and then paid exactly 1/2 what that woman paid for the exact same thing.

Never feel bad to haggle.

I totally agree with the walking out. But another thing I found was to deal in cash (us$).

When we were @ Cozumel I was looking at some silver bangles. I picked one up and asked the price, the lady said $120, I said it was too expensive, and started to walk out. She dropped the price then to $80. I turned round and said I would give her $100 for two of them (I wanted one for my friend anyway), when I said it would be cash she agreed.;)

got 2 Louis Vuitton bags and a wallet for $100 in a little alley way shop-just off the dock-between the dock and main street in Nassau.

What makes me crazy is if I look at something and decide that I don't want it. They think I'm playing hardball when all that I'm doing is trying to leave. It gets to the point where I'm almost afraid to touch anything. :scared:

For haggling small $$ items I keep my $5 bills and $10 bills in separate pockets then pull out what I want to counter-offer and act like that's all the money I have.

Another piece of advise is to offer half the initial offer.

And don't feel like you're taking advantage of people living in "poor" countries. The haggling is part of the culture and is expected.

A street vendor in Costa Maya was willing to trade the DCL hat I was wearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter