Had to pay for FMLA paperwork

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
With it costing as much as it does for a Dr visit, even after your deductible, you would think that the FMLA paperwork you need to have filled out, would be included in the cost of your visits. :crazy2:

This might just be the norm now, but this was the first time it has happened to me.

Huh? What did you pay for Family Medical Leave Act paperwork?

I did a quick google search and I am shocked this is even legal! I would imagine that if you have FMLA you are seeing the doctor for something that it wouldn't be above and beyond a standard office visit. Is the paperwork lengthy or hard to fill out or something? Seems crazy that doctors can charge for that. People wonder why health care is so crazy here!

My primary care doctor charges a $25 fee to fill out and fax any paperwork related to medical leave, disability, or ADA accommodations at school or work. I think it might be pretty common these days.

That has been the case in the Philly area at least since 2008. It's about 4 pages long though most of it has been N/A in the instances that I needed. I don't think it's right but it is what it is.

I had to pay $15 last week at my OBGYN to have them fill out my FMLA paperwork. I was a little surprised too.

But $15 is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of 12 weeks with no pay!

Been that way for years. We had to pay to have the paperwork filled out for DH's job after he broke his shoulder in a bike accident at least 5 years ago. The paperwork is ominous and the doctors are doing it for you - had no problem paying for his time.

My old practice (OBGYN) didn't charge but I just got the paperwork for my new practice last week and I had to sign something saying I read and understood that there was a $25 charge for filling out FMLA paperwork. Argh!!

My husband and kids have Combined accident insurance which is basically additional insurance you buy to help cover medical expenses if you are accidentally injured. When my son was 6 he broke his foot and my husband would not leave me alone about filing a claim with Combined even though it meant having the Dr. fill out paperwork. The Dr. charged us $15 to fill out the paperwork and Combined gave us $11 for the claim. Makes no sense to me but my husband refuses to cancel it.

Our office used to charge $5 for filling out forms back in the mid 90's. So this isn't anything new.

Right, I kinda guess it might be the norm, but it was new to me. But what will be next, $2 for a note for work or school?

I used to have to fill out lengthy paperwork forms which could require record review, analysis, etc. Our office would not let me charge for them although if done correctly could take anywhere from 15-60 minutes. Where did this time come from? Leaving home early to do it, skipping lunch, staying late (and therefore running the risk of picking up my young DD late)- basically my personal time when I did not receive any thanks nor renumeration (once, when I didn't write down what the patient wanted, I received a verbal death threat). So I don't believe a nominal charge is outrageous.

I understand this is how it is done, but sometimes the $25 is ridiculous for some of the paperwork.
For instance, my FMLA paperwork was a fill in the blank where the doctor put I was pregnant and my due date. I don't see why this could not be done during an office visit (and there are a lot of office visits when you are pregnant!). The craziest thing was that I had to leave the stuff with a certain office of the HMO, they sent it to my doctor, then sent it back to me.

Now, to claim my short term disability, yes I understand paying for that as that paperwork is more detailed.

Same thing for some of the special education/504 paperwork, I don't understand a charge...the schools here just want a form where the doctor states the diagnosis, prognosis, medication and check a box for the impact area (choice of 3-strength, vitality, alertness)

DDs pediatrician doesn't charge you if you get them to complete the paperwork during an appointment (just be sure to give it to the nurse beforehand or you risk their wrath!). But if you need it done outside of an appointment, they charge.

Last edited:
I had to pay $25 for mine as well. And no way do I think it's justified. I went to a large OBGYN practice where they seemed to have someone dedicated to just handling the paperwork. The DR. is NOT filling out that paperwork, they are just signing a stack of them. In fact, I filled out 80% before I turned it in! And as simple as that sounds.....for some reason they think it should still take 2 weeks!

All of the offices I have been a patient with used to do it for free. They started charging because so many people Would drop the paperwork off and never pick it up. Then it became if you had the paperwork done during your office visit it was included with your visit. But then people would forget their paperwork, bring it later and demand it be attached to their visit so it became a fee for everyone. My pediatrician is $5 now.

I work for a health system and no one in the system charges for the paperwork. Those forms are annoying to fill out. They take time. If you work for a surgeons office (which I do) you get TONS of them and no one is dedicated to filling them out. And everyone wants them RIGHT now so to give the staff time it's 7-10 day wait.

I had carpal tunnel surgery last week and my employer wants me to fill out FMLA paperwork even though I'm NOT taking FMLA, just using my regular PTO. They even sent me a certified letter yesterday to remind me to fill out the paperwork for the FMLA I'm not taking. I'm sure there will be some charge too at the doctor's office, sigh. It really makes me not want to mention why I'm taking time off when I have the other hand done in a year or two.

I had to pay $25 for mine as well. And no way do I think it's justified. I went to a large OBGYN practice where they seemed to have someone dedicated to just handling the paperwork. The DR. is NOT filling out that paperwork, they are just signing a stack of them. In fact, I filled out 80% before I turned it in! And as simple as that sounds.....for some reason they think it should still take 2 weeks!

I work in mental health, I'm a PhD. I do NOT charge for these types of things, but I'm probably one of very few who don't. The charge is completely justified. Forms do take a lot of time. Even if it looks like it may be a 5 min form to one person, you never know what is all involved behind the scenes. Some of these take over an hour. At one point it was just my time I was giving away, but now that I have my own practice, i have to see a certain number of clients to just pay the mortgage and countless other bills associated with running a practice. So, spending a lot of time filling out forms takes away from being able to pay the bills. (I haven't been able to pay myself yet, so it's not an income issue, haha!) I know that it seems like financial matters are obvious, but usually there is so much more involved that wouldn't occur to someone not working in the field.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter