Had to Cancel

turkeymama

DIS Veteran
I'm really not as bummed out as DH, and neither are the kids. This will be the first year we haven't gone to WDW since 2005. I think we'll live. Besides, we have a trip to see friends in NC in the works now. They live on the coast, so I'm hoping I can get the kids over to the Outer Banks and a few other places.

We had reservations for August 1 at WL. DH got laid off several months ago, but found another job before the old one ended. Also, he received a severance package from the former employer, which was great. However, it was just a little less than we were expecting and we're are still a one-income family until I graduate in May. Even then, I won't start teaching until August 2010, IF I find a job right away. DH made quite a bit of extra money in bonuses at his old job, which is something he will not have an opportunity for at the new job. So the new job is paying the bills and should cover gas money and groceries. That doesn't leave us any wiggle room for "extra" expenses like hair-cuts, school fees, and car maintenance costs. After really looking hard at the next several months, we decided it would be best to put the severance money into a few CDs and savings, just in case.

I actually feel quite stress-free about the whole thing. I think it's because I have something bigger to focus on in the meantime, like graduating from college, yay me! :cool1:

I just wish I could get DH to feel better about canceling the trip. So, can someone send some Pixie Dust hubby's way?

He's probably bummed more than you and even the kids because after all the stress of the lay-off and starting a new job, the Disney trip was something to really look forward to. I am sure he'll come around and you'll have lots of Disney trips in the future!

Sending pixie dust to you and your family :wizard:

I am sorry you had to cancel, but you are doing the best thing for your family. :flower3:

Hopefully your DH will feel better about it soon. You're doing what's best for your family, and WDW will certainly still be there a few years from now.

Enjoy your trip to NC - the Outer Banks is a lot of fun.

You have a great attitude! Hopefully that will carry your whole family through on the pixie dust!! :tinker:

I think it's not as much fun to go every year. I think you get more excited after you haven't seen everything in awhile. :)

Congratulations on the upcoming graduation from college! Way to go!:banana:

Here is some pixiedust: for your DH. I understand completely how he feels.

Yeah, I think with all the recent stress, he was really looking forward to that "Disney escape". I never dreamed Disney would suck him in the same way it has me. I'm happy that he is just as hooked as the rest of us, though.

Thanks for everyone's encouraging words. I think I may tentatively try to plan a trip for next year, and possibly start a Disney-trip savings board. That way, instead of just pinching pennies, we can visualize what we are pinching for. And maybe by next Christmas, we can take the trip.

Thanks for everyone's encouraging words. I think I may tentatively try to plan a trip for next year, and possibly start a Disney-trip savings board. That way, instead of just pinching pennies, we can visualize what we are pinching for. And maybe by next Christmas, we can take the trip.

That's the way to be thinking. :thumbsup2

Sounds like you did the right thing and have a great plan. Disney is not going anywhere. You will probably all enjoy it more when you plan for it with the knowledge that you still have the spare $$$ in the bank, after paying for Disney, in case of emergencies.
Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

I think I may tentatively try to plan a trip for next year, and possibly start a Disney-trip savings board. That way, instead of just pinching pennies, we can visualize what we are pinching for. And maybe by next Christmas, we can take the trip.

A Disney-trip savings board would be cool. We're a few years from our next Disney trip (I want to take my granddaughter to Disney when she's about 4...she's almost 8 months now, so I have some time). I know that Disney 2012 might be a little too far off...but you gotta start saving sometime. :banana:

A Disney-trip savings board would be cool. We're a few years from our next Disney trip (I want to take my granddaughter to Disney when she's about 4...she's almost 8 months now, so I have some time). I know that Disney 2012 might be a little too far off...but you gotta start saving sometime. :banana:

I know what you mean. I promised my daughter that we would definitely stay at the Wilderness Lodge on our next trip, and now I'm wishing I could take it back. I may be saving for quite awhile if I keep that promise. Ha, she may decide staying at a Value or Moderate isn't so bad if it means going back sooner. :thumbsup2 I actually caught myself feeling nostalgic for Pop Century a few days ago. That was where we stayed for our first trip so I guess I'll always feel warm and fuzzy about it. Ahh, good memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter