• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Had my card "skimmed" yesterday!

BONZO

<font color=660066>Has been known to go off topic!
I drew some cash out of a service till at East Croydon station yesterday morning and went to the office.

In the evening, my bank phoned to ask if I'd drawn out £100 and tried to withdraw the same amount.

I said no as I was at home at the time and had the card on me!

They put me through to the Fraud Department so I'm just waiting for the paperwork.

I contacted the local police who weren't interested and said it was a crime against the bank not me even though my account has been plundered!

So, the moral of this is to be wary of ATM's at busy public places and try and go to a branch to withdraw cash.

:mad: This is something that I always worry about, luckily your bank was quick to get in touch with you. I hope it gets sorted out quickly for you

I don't think there's a problem with getting the money refunded as I was in possession of the card - just need to sort the paperwork out.

The bank have suspended the card and are sending a replacement with a new PIN.

Only going to get worse too, with the run-up to Christmas.

What made the bank suspicious? Sorry if the answer's obvious!

Sorry to hear this happened, just as well the bank noticed! Glad things are getting sorted out.

Audrey ::MinnieMo

Our Eastern European friends strike again.. Hope you get this sorted.

How dreadful. So sorry this happened, thought the police would of been more intrest. Thought it wiuld come under 'obtaining goods/money by deception'.

Glad its getting sorted.

Just glad your bank were on the ball.

Wow I think you was lucky your bank spotted it so soon.

I agree that it was very good of the Bank to notice so quickly :)

There was something in our local paper just recently showing a fascia that the police had found on an ATM at one of the banks in the City Centre :scared1: There is CCTV footage of some people acting suspiciously but it's not clear enough to use apparently. You just can't be too careful these days. :(

Earlier this year I got a call from our bank who had noticed we had made an unusual transaction on one of our CC's. Someone in USA had used our card to the tune of several thousands of dollars - buying antigues!!! It was thought they had infiltrated our internet banking.

Our a/c was changed and we bought a new PC as the old one was a few years old. We weren't liable fortunately.

Gosh that really makes me worried about using cash points. As I travel a lot all over the country I am always using cashpoints all over the place as sometimes the banks are not open. I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do they manage to do it??

Sue :wave:

This has happened 3 times now to my sil. she has had the card on her at home, and had large amounts taken out of her account, just last week.she has been on to the bank and the police have been round taking a statement.

Its terrible, I hope your bank can sort it out quickly for you.

unfortunatly I see people about there bank details being stolen every day, as I work for a bank, its awfull.

Theres a lot of internet scams going on (ie the e mails coming asking for you bank details),

the worst one at present is a phone one where people are ringing you up saying they are from your bank and they have noticed sus events on your account, and if you confirm your banking details they will be able to discuss it with you, needless to say DONT give anything over the phone at present!!!

Also when going to a cash machine have a look at the slot you put your card in if its a different colour to the rest of the machine, there could be a copier wedged into it (this happened at a machine near our bank).

One last thing (I have had a stressing day speaking to the bank of england today) there are ALOT of fake twentys around (we had someone accept payment for a car today for 5k and they were all fake) the only thing that you would spot them for is that the id codes number are back to frount. they look like perfct twentys apart from that right down to the metal strip and water mark

That is awful Shaun. This is something I watch out for constantly but they are so clever sometimes. It is great to hear your bank were so on the ball though.

Good advice Anna!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter