Hacienda or San Angel Inn

MamaEnVee

Earning My Ears
DH and I are having a date night and I have narrowed it down to either Hacienda de San Angel or San Angel Inn. I am looking for people who have treied one or both of these options to weigh in. Thanks.

I have eaten at The San Angel Inn three times. I enjoyed every meal. The selections are different than the usual Disney choices. I don't really know how "authentic" they are as we have very little Mexican cuisine here, but, they were so delicious. The ambiance is certainly unique, quite dark and cool. It makes for a nice relaxing dinner or lunch after a hot, trek around the world.
I have had the salad, fish and soup. My sister has had the meat entrees and says she loved them all. I remember I always want to stay there for a long time!
I haven't been to Disney since the opening of Hacienda, SADLY!

I had to smile at your past trips. It seems that you went from 1999 -2011 before getting back to Disney World, and then with your kids!-how much fun that must have been!:dance3:

We've been to both, but it has been a while since we've been to San Angel and we didnt enjoy it very much. The food was ok, but in our opinion quite bland. We really enjoyed La Hacienda. The variety was good, and the food was very tasty. The food seemed like it represented Mexican cuisine better. Good luck with your decision.

I've been to both and definitely like La Hacienda better. Even though we had bad service (not the restaurant's fault, there were rude people that would not leave their table), I enjoyed the experience and food a lot. San Angel has a sort of outdated feel, and the food isn't as good.

Another vote here for La Hacienda. We've had meals at both, but felt like we were actually dining at la Hacienda, whereas it felt like we were just getting a meal at San Angel KWIM? The food there was meh and we really felt jammed up against the other diners. We really enjoyed the quality of the food at La Hacienda as well.

I personally did not like San Angel; the food was not that great and the service was horrible. We are trying La Hacienda this time, and these good reviews are making me look forward to it.

I loved both and would have a hard time choosing, but both my DD(17) and my DH preferred La Hacienda, for both the food and the atmosphere. Just bring me an avocado margarita and I'm happy!:goodvibes

La Hacienda is one of the ADR's that we made for our trip. Glad to hear so many people like it. We were also trying to choose between it and the other.

We had a really good meal at La Hacienda last month. I had the fried shrimp tacos and loved them!

We ate at La Hacienda in July and really enjoyed it. And I agree with PP---avocado margarita is to die for!!!!!

We have been to both and La Hacienda is certainly the better meal. You may want to read the dining reviews here when trying to decide. :disrocks:

I have great memories of fun times at San Angel with our kids, but we are heading to La Hacienda on Thursday! I will try to check back in on this post. I love food and am an adventurous eater, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around an avocado margarita...of course I'm so curious that I'll have to try it!

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I think that after reading this we are going to go with Hacienda. I have never had an avocado margerita but that is happening for sure.

And yes we brought the kids last year for their first trip and it was amazing. We leave in 5 days:yay: for round 2 with the kids and this time we are surprising them. It has been a very long 7 months keeping it a secret and I feel like I'm going to burst before Friday morning. So excited:jumping1:

I just wanted to chime in for San Angel Inn :) I had a delicious meal there in September. Our specialty margaritas (jalepeno for fiance; avocado for me) and entrees (pollo a las rajas for me; roast pork for fiance) were SO good! The desserts kinda stunk though. They did recently update their menu so I think the quality has greatly improved over the last year or two :goodvibes Plus, to me, the atmosphere is much more interesting then Hacienda. But I'm sure you'll have a great meal no matter where you go!

I've been to both recently and prefer San Angel Inn for both food at atmosphere. La Hacienda isn't bad. We enjoyed our margaritas and appetizers, but thought our entrées were a little bland and the restaurant was noisy. Not very romantic for a date night.

La Hacienda.

San Angel Inn had a period where the food quality REALLY fell off. It's come back (IMHO) quite a bit, so, really, both choices are good.

I've had the Mole (chicken at the Inn, Pork at La Hacienda) at both places, both relatively recently, and it was VERY good. I preferred La Hacienda, over all....but it was closer than it would have been even a year or two ago.

Both are good, but my experiences with San Angel Inn were much better than Hacienda. First off, both restaurants have slow service. I guess this is potentially a cultural thing (or so I'm told).

I give the edge in food quality to San Angel Inn. It tasted like they prepared it back in the kitchen from scratch whereas what I got at Hacienda seemed very much like a frozen entree from the super market. I mean, it was good, but didn't knock my socks off by any stretch. I've been consistently impressed with San Angel Inn.

Finally, the ambience in San Angel Inn is WAY better than La Hacienda but I guess it depends on what you're after. San Angel Inn seems quieter, slower, more peaceful. La Hacienda was louder and busier. And despite what someone posted, La Hacienda jams you right in with other diners, too. That's just Disney.

La Hacienda is solid, no doubt. But San Angel has given me better experiences. Their bathroom is better, too. :)

Between the two our experience was better at San Angel than La Hacienda. The service was poor at Hacienda and the food was bland. While San Angel is hardly spectacular, it was better than the Hacienda and the atmosphere is much better (maybe the best atmosphere in all of WDW to me).

Since it is a date night may I suggest a late seating a La Hacienda about 30-45 minutes before illuminations. Request a table near a window that way you can enjoy the show while you eat. My family did this in Aug and even though it was not a date night we all (a 78 year old, 3 in our 40s and two children 9 and 11) the evening. We had apps and desserts so I can not comment on the main courses. The quality of the food was good. Yes I have had better Mexican food, but never with illuminations in the background.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter