Habit Heroes: What Do You Think?

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
In case you haven't watched it, check out Kathy and Teresa's segment on the newly-designed Habit Heroes in Epcot. As I sat watching while drinking a Mountain Dew and eating a bag of chips (no lie lol), I started to question whether or not this attraction is really successful in meeting its objective of teaching about healthy eating and fitness. What do you think? Should Disney even touch upon this subject during people's vacations - especially when Mickey bars, chips, soft drinks, and other delightfully unhealthy snacks are sold in abundance? Share your thoughts here.

Good questions Nikki. :scratchin

I'm in favor of trying to get the message across even while people are on vacation. Val & I certainly don't worry much about "eating right" while we are on vacation. But we do have some more healthy eating habits that are just a routine part of our lives if we are on vacation or not. I guess as long as people think about this when they get home it will have some success.

Interesting discussion. (I've seen the video but haven't listened to the podcast discussion yet.) I'm not sure Habit Heroes is going to be very influential, but one program that IS incredibly successful is the runDisney program. There are approximately 15,000 women currently in the Orlando area getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow, many of whom will be in tutus. Maybe the Habit Heroes should have had some runDisney cross-marketing.

Personally, I think it's a little preachy, but people have a choice whether or not to do the attraction or not. I doubt Habit Heros is going to be very popular. I have a bigger problem when you don't have a choice, like with the wheat buns at Casey's. It's fine for Disney to promote healthy eating/habits but in the end it should be my choice for myself and my family, especially on vacation.

I saw the video and heard the discussion on the Habit Heroes and I have to say, it seems like something to do when it's a)too hot to do anything else outside or b)when it's pouring down rain.

My first reaction was, seriously?! A "you-need-to-be-in-shape" lecture at EPCOT? Don't you think people can figure that one out after they can't make it from Mexico to Norway without gasping for breath? Seems like a waste of space.

There is never a bad time or a wrong place to try to instill healthy habits in a child. Is this worse than the "Don't Waste It!" exhibit? My kid learned a lot from that, and the fact of performing the task as part of a game/challenge at WDW helped her remember more of what she was doing. The concept is pretty self-evident, so if it offends you or you think it would be inappropriate for your kids, it is easy to skip. But I certainly won't find any fault in WDW for offering a fun game/challenge that imparts a bit of educational information on a fairly non-controversial topic.

I'm not sure I would take the time to see Habit Heroes if we were on a short trip. However, it did really get the Podcast Team talking, didn't it? My favorite quote of the segment came from Pete when talking about comfort food, "I need to be a little less comfortable." Me too, Pete, me too.

I think my kids would have enjoyed it when they were younger. I don't think my nearly teens would like it, even if they did get a bracelet out of it.

What makes it different from the rest of Future World, and Innoventions in particular?

The Land has two separate attractions preaching about conservation. There's Sum of All Thrills preaching about math and science. There's the Fire attraction about fire safety. etc etc. Being healthy goes right along with all of those things (and is arguably more important!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter