Guys...if you've ever had a kidney stone...

XYSRUS

DIS Veteran
how long did it take to pass. My DH is in waiting now...lol. I can't help but laugh a little bit at his whiny-ness.:rolleyes1

It took about 4 hours after I entered the ER to have the surgery performed since it was lodged and could not move. Recovery was several weeks. Total pain before removal was about 8 hours.

Kidney stones are no laughing matter.

I'm not a man, but I had my first kidney stone last February. That sucker hurt! It took 4 days to pass. It didn't hurt consistently for the whole time, but...

how long did it take to pass. My DH is in waiting now...lol. I can't help but laugh a little bit at his whiny-ness.:rolleyes1

Sometimes they do not pass on their own and so have to be taken out. Mine passed on their own and my son in laws had to be taken out more than once he has had this done. either way they are worse than natural childbirth to me:scared1: and my son in law thinks he having heart attack each time as he hurts so bad all over:rolleyes1 but to be honest he does have them a lot they just keep forming...so really do feel bad for him:surfweb:

Kidney stones are incredibly painful especially for men, his "whiny-ness" from what I understand is completely justified and I wouldn't think very funny.

Please don't laugh... kidney stones can be incredibly painful.

I have had one (that had to be removed after getting stuck in the tube between the kidney and bladder) and DH has had 2 or 3 (which resolved themselves without surgery.) It took DH several hours (and once into the next day) before he felt like himself again.

It's always a good idea to see a urologist afterward though. My pain subsided after it got stuck and if I had not gone to the urologist where they took an x-ray and realized it wasn't moving it could have caused major damage.

When I had mine, the doctors let me try to pass them for over a week before they surgically removed them. I've have 2 children and it was the absolute worst pain I have felt in my entire life!!

My DH has had about 15 kidney stones over the years. He passed all of them. They were not lodged in the kidney so they did not do surgery.

Sometimes is takes days and sometimes weeks to pass a stone. My DH is a very strong man but kidney stones are very tough. Try to be patient. I have had women tell me that the pain from kidney stones is the same level of pain as labor pains.

He had lithrotripsy twice and that is no easy way out. The small pieces had to pass after the stone had been busted. That takes up to a week. He has had that done twice with the bigger stones.

Good Luck and I hope he recovers soon.

A woman I knew informed me that her kidney stone pain was WAY worse than her labour. And the worst part, she said, was you don't even get a present when it's all over.

Please be sympathetic to the poor guy! When my husband went in with a gallstone attack, there was a guy with a kidney stone in the next bed. He was doing that kind of groaning people do when they're in so much pain they don't even know they're making noise any more.

My husband said it made him grateful all he had was a gallstone!

I've had two and they took about 4-5 days to pass. Fortunately neither required surgery.

If you were the one with the kidney stone, you wouldn't be laughing. Seriously, it HURTS.

I had my first while pregnant with DS#2--I thought I was in labor. Not joking.

They had to put a stent in because it was so big it had blocked my entire kidney. I gave birth 2 days later then 2 months later they had to manually remove it because the laser chair kept breaking down.

My urologist sent in the biggest piece to be put in that clear lucite(?) because he had never seen one so big. The other pieces were sent in for testing to see what they were made of.

I can tell you that I've had 4 kids. All of them natural. And the pain from kidney stones was so much worse.

For my second one the pain hit out of nowhere. I stood up from watching tv, took about 5 steps and the pain shot thru me. I doubled over, hit the floor and couldn't straighten out. They did emergency surgery on that one because they were unable to control the pain with morphin.

The ones I have had since I can manage the pain pretty well. I get a lot of abdominal pain then I get numb ( :rolleyes1 ) then it passes.

My dad said the pain from passing kidney stones was far, far worse than when he had his heart attack and quadruple by-pass.

I think I would give your dh a pass on this one.

I have had several run ins with kidney stones and have required surgery twice to have them removed. They are incredibly painful and I have been told by several doctors that I will likely never experience higher levels of pain. It is certainly not a laughing matter.

:rolleyes1 Back when I used to work in the Delivery Room, I had several women come through with a history of kidney stones. Every one of them swore that after passing a stone, 24 hours of labor was a cake walk. Show your guy a little love.:flower3:

Why would you laugh at his whinyness, this isn't a cold or flu, do you think that the stones have to come out and where they have to come out? you don't think you would be a little whiny too at that thought?

Even if I hear just about a uti, if my mom has one, I have a fantom pain just thinking about it.

OMG! :scared1: I've had a few stones and I would rather slide down a razor blade buck naked and into a pool of salt and vinegar. Show the poor man some compassion and shoot him!!!

1st one took 4 hours
2nd one took about 8
3rd one took about 3 days

It's the worst pain I have ever been through. I was at the hospital for the first 2. The third I managed to stay home. I would not wish that pain on anyone.

They compare it to childbirth. I think it's worse. At the end of childbirth, you have a child. With kidney stones, you just have a jagged rock.

Poor guy. I hope it passes quickly with minimal pain. I know quite a few guys that had excruciating pain passing kidney stones.

Ugh. Don't you dare laugh at him or you'll be struck yourself. The pain is as bad as, if not worse than, giving birth with no medication. It's absolute HELL!

Mine usually passed (or moved to where they didn't hurt) within 24 hours.

It took about 4 hours after I entered the ER to have the surgery performed since it was lodged and could not move. Recovery was several weeks. Total pain before removal was about 8 hours.

Kidney stones are no laughing matter.

I know you are kidding, but the pain....OMG. I've had two. One I caught in the strainer they give you. It was the size of a pencil dot. And I wished for death. Yes, that small. and it hurt SO bad.

The other time, I was at work, 30 miles from home. I started feeling that familiar nauseous coming back. I emailed a friend and told her that if I passed out or started screaming on the floor, that to let them know it was a kidney stone. She told my supervisor, who let her drive me home (we live in the same town). As soon as I got home, the symptoms were so much worse. I was running a fever, I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom, but couldn't. I was unable to stand. It was living hell. Don't laugh, or you will get one. The Kidney Stone Karma Police dont joke around. Sorry if this sounds mean, but people who have had one can get a little defensive. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter