Gurgling Suitcase question...

Scott MC

DIS Veteran
We have the luxury of an longer-than-usual WDW trip this August, and we love unwinding at a great lounge after a long, hot day in the parks. I've heard a lot about this place, and am wondering if it's really worth the trip over. We are staying at CR and BC on this trip, so it would require some planning. Frankly, my biggest concern is that it appears to be teeny-tiny. Is it like Ale and Compass at YC, where there is really only seating for about 6-8 people? If so, then it's a no for us...
Any thoughts?

For the record, if you can secure a seat at Ale and Compass, it's our favorite spot for a libation on WDW property.

I haven't been there in years, but I remember it being really tiny. I don't think it'd be worth a trip if you're not staying at OKW.

I thought that the seating was all outside at bar stools at the counter. I could be wrong ....

It is really more of a pool bar. It has about 4 or 5 stools at the bar and a couple of high-tops with 2 stools each. It probably seats 8 to 10 total. It is open air and has a bit of air conditioning as you go deeper in the bar area. It has a roof and walls on 3 sides. But if you are really trying to escape the heat, it might not happen here. Also, since it is open air, you might encounter bugs as the night progresses. We enjoy meeting people here. You won't have a private conversation at the Gurgling Suitcase. Everyone is seated that close. We love it there! But I wouldn't call is a lounge or a place to kick back and relax.

If you haven't tried the Bellevue Room at the BW, you are missing out. That is a great place to kick back and relax. Great indoor living room set up and an awesome verandah over looking the BW.

It is really more of a pool bar. It has about 4 or 5 stools at the bar and a couple of high-tops with 2 stools each. It probably seats 8 to 10 total. It is open air and has a bit of air conditioning as you go deeper in the bar area. It has a roof and walls on 3 sides. But if you are really trying to escape the heat, it might not happen here. Also, since it is open air, you might encounter bugs as the night progresses. We enjoy meeting people here. You won't have a private conversation at the Gurgling Suitcase. Everyone is seated that close. We love it there! But I wouldn't call is a lounge or a place to kick back and relax.

If you haven't tried the Bellevue Room at the BW, you are missing out. That is a great place to kick back and relax. Great indoor living room set up and an awesome verandah over looking the BW.

Thanks for the Bellevue Room recommendation. We are staying at the BC and are always open to a new lounge to relax at after spending the day at the parks!

I haven't been there in years, but I remember it being really tiny. I don't think it'd be worth a trip if you're not staying at OKW.

That was my thought. If it was big, like Martha's Vineyard Lounge at BC, we'd consider it, but if it's tiny, I think we'd be really disappointed if we made the trip and were locked out of seating.

I thought that the seating was all outside at bar stools at the counter. I could be wrong ....

Hmmmm.....

It sounds great, but you lost me at buggy! I have a bit of an irrational mosquito phobia (though I've rarely encountered them at WDW), and that would do me in if we had to sit outside! And yes, we've tried Bellevue many a time. Our favorite place to be/stay is anywhere on the Epcot Resort Loop, so we are quite familiar with the lounges there! Our ABSOLUTE favorite though is Ale and Compass at YC. It's so relaxing to hear the beautiful lobby music, have a cocktail, and watch the resort wind down. I can't TELL you how especially beautiful it was at Christmastime!

Thanks for the Bellevue Room recommendation. We are staying at the BC and are always open to a new lounge to relax at after spending the day at the parks!

I love the BC itself, but their lounge, Martha's Vineyard, has never done much for me. It's fine. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just not special. I think because it's so far removed from the lobby.

We like the Gurgling Suitcase when we stay at OKW, usually when we're sitting at the pool and/or doing some of the poolside activities. The drinks are always made really well, and not too much more to make it a double lol. The bartenders are really the nicest we've ever encountered. They are actually friendly!! But it's not worth a special trip.

If you're looking for different lounge experiences, Crockett's Tavern at Trail's End/Fort Wilderness is a fun one. Go over in the evening, grab a few drinks, then go to the beach and watch Wishes (10pm) and the Electrical Water Pageant (9:45) right before. They have tasty nachos and wings, too.

1) It is a TINY, TINY bar.
2) The "front" is completely open to the elements.
3) But, there is an A/C unit.
4) Not worth a special trip . . . it is just a little bar.

NOTE: I used to work at OKW and SSR, so have seen the bar A LOT from the employee side to the drinking-patron side.

I love the BC itself, but their lounge, Martha's Vineyard, has never done much for me. It's fine. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just not special. I think because it's so far removed from the lobby.

Funny, we really like Martha's Vineyard. When we have the whole family with us, we usually grab a sofa and coffee table area and play games or do puzzles with the grandkids. I think we had a drink at the Ale and Compass years ago before dining at Yachtsmen Steakhouse. But I really don't remember it. Do they have living room type furniture that you can spread out on and play games with your family? We are taking all the family to WDW in September and staying at BCV. So it might be worth a trip over to the YC.

I totally agree about going to the Bellevue Room (sp?). Once DH and I ducked into there in the late afternoon to get out of the heat, and we enjoyed some very NICE martinis in the air conditioning! We were the only ones there. It was so nice!

The BelleVue is our favorite - we always have a night cap there when we stay at the boardwalk. It's bed when we get a table in the balcony and people watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter