Guranteed connecting rooms?

Forensicmom

Mouseketeer
I know this was asked before but now that we're 9 days away from our trip and did o ur on-line check-in yesterday, I'm still nervous. When we booked, the Disney rep said they "guaranteed" us connecting rooms b/c there are 4 kids and 2 adults. Our reservations on the Disney site also say "guaranteed connecting rooms".

However, DH called last night to try and check us in over the phone. The Disney rep said they will "try" to get us connecting rooms but they assign rooms until 3 days before we arrive and they won't tell you in advance which rooms you have.

Should I be nervous about them NOT accomodating us? We were told that we're checking in during a very "low" time, so I'm hoping it's not a problem.

Oh, we're staying at The Wilderness Lodge

I know this was asked before but now that we're 9 days away from our trip and did o ur on-line check-in yesterday, I'm still nervous. When we booked, the Disney rep said they "guaranteed" us connecting rooms b/c there are 4 kids and 2 adults. Our reservations on the Disney site also say "guaranteed connecting rooms".

However, DH called last night to try and check us in over the phone. The Disney rep said they will "try" to get us connecting rooms but they assign rooms until 3 days before we arrive and they won't tell you in advance which rooms you have.

Should I be nervous about them NOT accomodating us? We were told that we're checking in during a very "low" time, so I'm hoping it's not a problem.

All I can say is what we were told by multiple CM's when we were looking at booking 2 rooms for our next stay...they do not guarantee connecting rooms no matter what their computer system says. They will do their best to accommodate those requests but that is about it. We decided not to risk it for various reasons and booked a different resort category instead.

Hopefully, it won't be an issue for you but if it ends up being one, just go back downstairs, be nice and polite and see what they can work out for you.

I think in general Disney is nervous to use the word "guaranteed" with anything! I wouldn't worry about it. With 2 adults and 4 children, they are going to do their utmost to accommodate you. If it says "guaranteed" on your reservation on the Disney site, I would print that out and take it with you to check in. I have had nothing but great experiences with front desk CM's and room location requests, connecting rooms, etc. I think you are going to be fine. They want your trip to be easy and enjoyable!!

We were at BC in late August and the hotel ended up being completely booked up by people flying from the Northeast to avoid Hurricane Irene. We had two rooms booked for me, DS4 and our babysitter and I had requested connecting because my son has special needs and the proximity would just make it easier for the two adults to provide care for him. Even with a booked solid hotel, they fulfilled our request. I was shocked and grateful.

I wouldn't worry about it. As the other posters have said, be sure to have your printout of the reservations. Your type of reservation has the highest priority for connecting rooms.

Your reason to relax is the use of the term "guaranteed connecting rooms". not "adjacent rooms". In the event of an issue they will fix it.

I agree that you will probably not have problems, but after reading posts on here by DISers who did not get connecting rooms after being assured they would, I also think you're smart to be concerned ;)

I think this Mod explains it best:

No, connecting rooms can never be absolutely guaranteed, no matter what is printed on the confirmation. Have seen several reports of those who had "guaranteed connecting" rooms because they had two adults and numerous children, and even one with one adult and numerous children, who were NOT assigned to connecting rooms. The truth is they know that with two adults, the adults can split up, even if that is not what the adults want to do.

So knowing that WDW will always try and match your requests, IF they can't get you connecting rooms what will your plan be at check in?

Are you going to stay at that resort and split up with one adult in each room until something opens up, or have them try another resort? If so, maybe you could have a resort in mind you'd like them to check. And know that that might mean you have to pay for an upgrade (or take a downgrade from your WL to a mod/value)...

Good luck, and again know that you will probably have no problems - but jmo it's always best to be prepared, just in case :thumbsup2

Connecting rooms are just a request and are not guaranteed, no matter what a CM tells you or what is on the confirmation. If you are not given connecting rooms at check in, I would ask if there is any way to get them. Disney will do everything they can to accommodate you, but since it's only a request, if connecting rooms are not available, you won't get them. Since there are 2 adults, Disney sees this as 1 adult can be in each room with 2 kids. This is not ideal as it's a family vacation and families don't want to be split up, but it wouldn't be a situation where kids were left in a room by themselves. I have read reports of 1 adult with 4+ kids not getting connecting rooms. I wouldn't worry too much about as I'm sure you will get them if they are available, but I would also be prepared for the "just in case" where you aren't granted the connecting rooms.

The only thing you are actually guaranteed is a room on Disney property. Sometimes things happen and Disney is unable to accommodate requests or even paid for items (such as king beds or preferred). It's in the fine print when you make your reservation and when you receive your paperwork you will find it printed on the back.

Connecting is a request and is never guaranteed (except in VERY rare situations when it comes to HA rooms). If there are none available, then there are none available. So always have another plan if there are no connecting rooms available at your resort when you get there.

And the CM is right. That room is not yours until you actually check in. Even the room "assigned" ahead of time can be changed to accommodate another guest or because a room has to be taken out of inventory.

We have a bigger than what Disney considers a typical family of 2 adults, 1 junior and 1 child, and as a result, unless we use our DVC, we need to get two connecting rooms. The rep you spoke with is correct in saying the connecting rooms are guaranteed since you have the four children and two adults. We've stayed this way many times and have ALWAYS had connecting rooms with no problems. It is true they do not assign rooms until three days (and I've also heard from CM friends, sometimes 48 hours) in advance, so they will not tell you until you check in what rooms you have, and then only if they are ready. I would not worry about a thing....you'll be happy as clams in your connecting rooms at WL!!

Have a super fabulous trip!! :-)

We have a bigger than what Disney considers a typical family of 2 adults, 1 junior and 1 child, and as a result, unless we use our DVC, we need to get two connecting rooms. The rep you spoke with is correct in saying the connecting rooms are guaranteed since you have the four children and two adults. We've stayed this way many times and have ALWAYS had connecting rooms with no problems. It is true they do not assign rooms until three days (and I've also heard from CM friends, sometimes 48 hours) in advance, so they will not tell you until you check in what rooms you have, and then only if they are ready. I would not worry about a thing....you'll be happy as clams in your connecting rooms at WL!!

Have a super fabulous trip!! :-)

No that is not correct. If you have mulitple adults Disney can have the adults split up and not have connecting rooms. Do they try and meet the requests yes, but it is not guaranteed despite what you have been told. We have had reports on the Dis more than once that they had to split up.

OP Disney tries to make guests happy but if connecting is not available then it's not available.

Denise in MI

No that is not correct. If you have mulitple adults Disney can have the adults split up and not have connecting rooms. Do they try and meet the requests yes, but it is not guaranteed despite what you have been told. We have had reports on the Dis more than once that they had to split up.

OP Disney tries to make guests happy but if connecting is not available then it's not available.

Denise in MI

Of course Denise. Should've known.

Forgot to put my disclaimer on this.

"Your results may vary. Your millage may vary. What you are told by different people may vary. How you interpret something and how another person interprets something may vary. I can only comment based on my own personal experiences. The thoughts and opinions expressed by me are not approved nor endorsed by anyone else. I have been wrong before and I promise I will be wrong again. I promise someone will point out any mistakes I may or may not make". I think that covers it.

Good luck OP! I personally wouldn't worry, but again, my thoughts are my own.

The only thing you are actually guaranteed is a room on Disney property. Sometimes things happen and Disney is unable to accommodate requests or even paid for items (such as king beds or preferred). It's in the fine print when you make your reservation and when you receive your paperwork you will find it printed on the back.

Connecting is a request and is never guaranteed (except in VERY rare situations when it comes to HA rooms). If there are none available, then there are none available. So always have another plan if there are no connecting rooms available at your resort when you get there.

And the CM is right. That room is not yours until you actually check in. Even the room "assigned" ahead of time can be changed to accommodate another guest or because a room has to be taken out of inventory.

Yup and they do occasionally have to separate parties EVEN if kids outnumber adults.. It has happened to my family.We had to put one adult in one room and one in another..Was it ideal? no, it stunk, but we all managed to make the best of it and have fun

"Your results may vary. Your millage may vary. What you are told by different people may vary. How you interpret something and how another person interprets something may vary. I can only comment based on my own personal experiences. The thoughts and opinions expressed by me are not approved nor endorsed by anyone else. I have been wrong before and I promise I will be wrong again. I promise someone will point out any mistakes I may or may not make". I think that covers it.

Wow, that comment seems a bit over the top. Denise was just pointing out that your family has been lucky to have always been assigned to connecting rooms as requested because it is not guaranteed and many people on Dis (which is a very small selection of all WDW guests) have reported otherwise.

According to all current reports, connecting rooms are never absolutely guaranteed, no matter what the party makeup. If they're not absolutely guaranteed for a party with one adult, they will not be for a party with two adults. Disney will, however, do everything they can to meet the request for connecting rooms. (I see I've been quoted on this, too). The only way you will have a problem is if they absolutely cannot provide you with connecting rooms at the time you arrive.

WDW doesn't do over the phone check-in, nor can you guarantee a connecting room by calling ahead. It is rare that a WDW resort is unable to meet this request, especially if it is the only request made...but it DOES occasionally happen.

If I was the OP I would not worry either, but it is possible. Disney does try to make guests happy. Better to be prepared to not get them and get them than not prepare and wonder what to do now if they do not get them.

Don't you also have a child with special needs? That may be the reason your request are granted more than others. Or am I thinking of someone else.

Of course Disney's standard response is they can make no gurantees regarding room requests, but each time we have requested connecting rooms we have gotten them. Even last year when we showed up and they did not have us in connecting rooms (or even the same building) they were able to make the change to give us connecting rooms - and we were a party of 5 adults. Rest easy, if it is at all possible Disney will do their best to honor your request.

Of course Disney's standard response is they can make no gurantees regarding room requests, but each time we have requested connecting rooms we have gotten them. Even last year when we showed up and they did not have us in connecting rooms (or even the same building) they were able to make the change to give us connecting rooms - and we were a party of 5 adults. Rest easy, if it is at all possible Disney will do their best to honor your request.

We haven't been so lucky. Out of the 4 times requesting connecting rooms we have been denied 1 time. So it does happen. Disney will do their best to meet that particular request, but if conncting rooms are not available, they are not available.

It wouldn't stress about it either, but there is nothing wrong with having Plan B in the back of your mind.

We have two room rezzies booked for next summer and when I asked the CM about ensuring the YC rooms are adjoined, she said (honestly) that it's harder to guarantee in the busier seasons and that they will do everything possible. That said, I have friends who didn't get adjoining rooms but almost always got a room across or down the hall as their 'worst case' scenario.

The problem is there are many factors that can cause issues with room assignments -- someone extending a stay, other people's dates changing, who checks out when. Honestly, I'm amazed they can get two rooms together during busy season at all with the variables they deal with!

We have two room rezzies booked for next summer and when I asked the CM about ensuring the YC rooms are adjoined, she said (honestly) that it's harder to guarantee in the busier seasons and that they will do everything possible. That said, I have friends who didn't get adjoining rooms but almost always got a room across or down the hall as their 'worst case' scenario.

The problem is there are many factors that can cause issues with room assignments -- someone extending a stay, other people's dates changing, who checks out when. Honestly, I'm amazed they can get two rooms together during busy season at all with the variables they deal with!

Just checking as to what you want to book here. In Disney speak, if you want rooms with a door between them, those are "connecting" rooms, not "adjoining." "Adjoining" means rooms next to or near each other but not necessarily connecting. Make sure you've requested exactly what you want!

Actually, we have BOTH types requested -- we're staying at POR and have different room types, so we had to ask for adjoining, and for YC we requested connecting.

Thanks for stating it better -- I personally know how easy it is to interchange the two accidentally

If I was the OP I would not worry either, but it is possible. Disney does try to make guests happy. Better to be prepared to not get them and get them than not prepare and wonder what to do now if they do not get them.

Don't you also have a child with special needs? That may be the reason your request are granted more than others. Or am I thinking of someone else.

Must be thinking of someone else. Our oldest has been dx'd with ADD/ADHD, but we've not ever declared that to WDW. Guess we get lucky with connecting rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter