Gulf or Ocean?

Lv4Disney

Earning My Ears
We have several people in our group that have never seen an ocean (or the Gulf) before. We're planning to take 1/2 day away from the park to do this.

The distances really aren't different enough to make a difference to us on which we drive to so we're having difficulty making a decision on which direction to go.

If you were going to do this, would you recommend seeing the Gulf or the Atlantic Ocean, and why? :confused:

Do you plan on swimming or walking in the surf? The Atlantic is usually rougher than the Gulf. You can also usually find better shells on the Gulf side because they don't get beat to death in the waves.

Count on about 2 1/2 to 3 hours total travel time for the Atlantic side and at least 4 hours total travel time for the Gulf side (total time = round trip). We usually go to Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side, and either Sand Key (just below Clearwater Beach) or Fort DeSoto Park (south of St. Petersburg Beach) on the Gulf side. There is a small fee for Fort DeSoto, but the park is huge (take a picnic lunch though - we always do and I don't recall any food vendors, although I could have missed them). Cocoa Beach has more hustle and bustle, if you like your beach busy.

I live an hour from the Atlantic so when in FL, I would always choose the Gulf. And the warm clear water, nicer sand, and beautiful shells are all just pluses. We loved the powdery soft always cool sands (world famous BTW) in Siesta Key.

Have a magical trip.

Gulf without question. Beautiful soft white sand beaches. Watching the sun set into the gulf is very romantic.

I live right smack in the middle of the two, and I almost always choose the gulf. Its much cleaner in appearance, plus if your mates havent seen an ocean, that means they havent been IN an ocean, which could make the gulf more appealing as the water is much calmer. The only time I go to the Atlantic is when we are at Vero...

I live right smack in the middle of the two, and I almost always choose the gulf. Its much cleaner in appearance, plus if your mates havent seen an ocean, that means they havent been IN an ocean, which could make the gulf more appealing as the water is much calmer. The only time I go to the Atlantic is when we are at Vero...

I live just south of Ya'LL in Citrus county..:thumbsup2
I agree with the gulf side.Beautiful sunsets and clean sand!!:thumbsup2

But I got too say the best beaches in Florida is in the panhandle.Santa Rosa and Desin has the whitest sand to be found.Along with the emareld blue water thats COLD in the summer!!

If you've never seen the ocean, you need to see the OCEAN. Where theres' nothing but fish and seagulls between you and Europe. To see the power of that surf.

Depends on the age of your group. If some are babies/toddlers then you might want the Gulf side. Less waves, usually smoother bottom. Can be shallow for 50 or 60 yards when the tide is out. Sort of boring in places if yu want to play in the waves unless it is sort of stormy.

But even when we have toddlers come down we bring them to the ocean because it is the OCEAN. <g> I live on the East coast and love it. My husband and I are at the beach a couple times a week. Our sons are surfers. The one who works beachside carries his baggies and board everywhere he goes. He often surfs before work and showers at the beach. LOL He has been doing that since he was in college. Back then he would show up for classes in wet baggies-now he leaves the beach in a shirt and tie<g>

Advantage of the ocean- more waves, all the beaches are public so no snooty person will come up and tell you the beach is a private beach. I can remember getting kicked offf of several in the Tampa area. We can find beach glass from the shipwrecks of the 1800s, bigger and more shells than some areas of the gulf if you are here at the right time and come far enough South in Brevard county (Melbourne area and south), lots of surfers and the opportunity to surf and boogy board. Less crowded beaches when you have 60 miles of public beaches and no private beaches.

Almost all the beaches are very natural and wildlife preservations. Bring your camera you never know what you might see at the beach.

No question, the gulf. Water is not as rough as the ocean, the color (imo) is much more intense and beautiful, the sand is like nothing you have ever felt or seen before. Gulf is on the west side, cannot beat the most beautiful sunsets you will ever see. Along with all of that and some great shells you will pick-up along the beach, what more could one ask for?! Good luck and have a fabulous time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter