Guide to split stays at Walt Disney World

bbmassey

Two Disney Crazed Teachers
I have seen many of you mention "split stays" throughout various posts and comments and that has me searching for information and ideas on the topic. With changes to the Wilderness Lodge on the horizon I began to explore the idea of trying a new hotel on our next stay and I have grown intrigued by the Animal Kingdom Lodge. There is only one thing that is keeping me from booking there, I just can't bring myself to write off a place where out family is comfortable and has created so many memories. There seems to be a potential solution in this concept of a "split stay". We intend to return this time next year for ten days and I think this offers us a chance to try something new while keeping the comfort and security on knowing what we have in the WL. My questions are many so I was curious if anyone could point me in the direction of a guide of sorts to a "split stay". There are so many great informational threads dedicated to resorts and the club level and I would love to read on on this concept that explains how to check in in two places, how to move between resorts, and how to maximize the benefits of each resort just to pose a few questions I have. Any and all help and/or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks to all for such a great site, it has made each of our prior trips amazing!

Split stays cuts the costs, stay at a value or moderate for 2 days and then deluxe for 3 or 4 days especially if your a couple

There is not much to tell. We have done it many times. You will get two sets of bands, but they work for both resorts. You check into resort one. When you are done, you give your luggage to bell services and tell them you are moving to X resort. They move your bags there in a few hours (kinda like ME does). You check in to the new place. You usually have to go to that bell services to pick up your bags though. SO our last trip we spent 3 days at Poly. On day three we checked out, gave our bags to bell services and headed to the parks. We around mid day we stopped inat Boardwalk to check in and see our room and then called bell services and they brought the bags to our room that had been delivered a few hours before and we headed back out to the parks. I have seen the luggage transfer take 6-8 hours though so keep that in mind if you will need something from your bag before then.

I am also looking for guidance as well for split stays. We are only doing one night at AKL and doing it without park tickets. The Disney rep said we'd have one magic band each and it'd cover both resorts, but online I see two magic bands each which seems silly considering how short our stay is. Also if we check in online, can't we just go straight to our room? Wondering if the luggage will be delivered to our room like Magical Express.

Split stays don't exist as far as hotels are concerned. You have a reservation, then you have another reservation. Therefore, you get a set of magic bands for each separate reservation.

If you can go straight to your room, you'll get correspondence about it before your trip. It may have been a test, or it may be standard procedure, or it may be available at only some resorts.

Automatic luggage delivery is a feature/perq of Magical Express. When you move from one resort to another, no, your luggage will not be delivered to your room until you are in the room and call Bell Services. Tipping is appropriate.

It can be a hassle to pack everything up. But we look at it as a "second" vacation. For short moves, I'd call a cab. When you have Disney move your luggage, they will tell you that it's not expected until 4pm. We've had luggage unavailable past 4pm, and had to call bell services several times to look for it.

AKL is a beautiful resort and very unique. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The rooms are a bit darker with lots of dark wood furniture. And you really can't find the savannah view at any other resort, can you?

I am also looking for guidance as well for split stays. We are only doing one night at AKL and doing it without park tickets. The Disney rep said we'd have one magic band each and it'd cover both resorts, but online I see two magic bands each which seems silly considering how short our stay is. Also if we check in online, can't we just go straight to our room? Wondering if the luggage will be delivered to our room like Magical Express.

You have the opportunity to customize MBs for each reservation number you have. If you have two, you get two sets. If you have 4, you get 4. etc.

If you don't want them, don't customize a set (so don't verify the address) and then refuse the grey bands they hand you at checkin. If you REALLY don't want them, call the number for CS on disneyworld.com, get to Tech Support, and they say they have a way to suppress a given shipment so you won't get them at all.

Split stays don't exist as far as hotels are concerned. You have a reservation, then you have another reservation. Therefore, you get a set of magic bands for each separate reservation.

:thumbsup2

If you can go straight to your room, you'll get correspondence about it before your trip.

Automatic luggage delivery is a feature/perq of Magical Express. When you move from one resort to another, no, your luggage will not be delivered to your room until you are in the room and call Bell Services. Tipping is appropriate.

For us, we always have a car for a multi-resort trip. So we choose, each moving day, which way to go:

Get stuff to Resort 1's Bell Services, go about our day, later on our time go get our bags then go to Resort 2

OR

Do physical checkin at Resort 2 (maybe a room will be ready!), get stuff to Resort 2's Bell Services or our room if it's ready, go about our day.

Depending on our plans for any given day, one of those will work better than the other.

If I didn't have a car I would just use a cab. It's annoying for me to wait for luggage services to get our bags from #1 to #2 after official checkin time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter